Strazky Dolina Brezovica

  • patskanovo
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2011
      Gang...it looks from Google Earth that a huge mountianous region lies between Strazky and Brezovica with Dolina approximately 1/2 way in the middle of these two places.

      The names come from a Petition for Naturalization dated 1934 so the names of the villages are some what current.

      Given that John Surgala was a Tailor by trade, I can imagine him traveling to some degree...Being a Tailor is given on his ships manifest and on the 1900 census.It is also in the Cleveland Area Directory dated 1904 and his naturalization papers.

      Since the mountain looms large on the map.I can see how he would have several places to hang his hat.

      Does this seem a safe assumption?

      Dennis

      Strazky/Blazov(Javorina):

      current county: Presov county - Eastern Slovakia \ former county: Szepes / Spis county

      Brezovica:

      current county: Presov county - Eastern Slovakia \ former county: Saros / Saris county
    • patskanovo
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 27, 2011
        BINGO!

        Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
        Greek Catholic
        Kežmarok
        Javorina

        Includes the remote village of Dolina and Blazov (formaly Balasvagas)

        Now if I only had time to search after the day spent looking for it.

        Dennis