[S-R] Re: Pleas help read and tralate

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 25, 2011
      Margo,
      The name Richtarik and word richtar are certainly related, but this says nothing about family descent. Your name is Smith, and related to Blacksmith, but we don't suppose you are descended from some original blacksmith.

      Wrutek is just the spelling as given by the bad Latinist writing in the register. I certainly assume it is Vrutky.

      CB

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Margo Smith <margolane61@...> wrote:

      > This is very interesting.  If her family name was Richtarik, does that mean her family descended from the original mayor (richtar) of the village?  Is Wrutek one of the names for Vrutky, at the north end of the Turiec Valley?  (Which comes from the Ruttkay noble family.)  Neczpaly is mid way down the Turiec Valley on the east side.  Lutheran area.  Yes, the noble Justh family lived in the Necpaly/Kostoliste area.  I didn't know they grew grapes in that valley.
      >
      > My husband's ancestors were perpetually obligated serfs to members of the Justh family.
      >
      > Margo

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 26, 2011
        >> I didn't know they grew grapes in that valley.

        The Turiec Valley by Martin in Northern Slovakia, for orientation of any who need to know. )and if my spelling is correct).

        Margo, I have run across several references that tell of wine and crop areas varying greatly in Slovakia over the centuries during normal long-term cycles of the climate. That adds still another variable in our ancestor's lives, with implications, perhaps, that some areas that were poverty stricken the last 200 years could have been prosperous centuries before that.
      • Ladislav Rosival
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 26, 2011
          Thanks for the translation.

          But I have some notes:

          - There is/was no wineyard in Turiec where Necpaly is

          - The Justh family was not a winemaker family (in late 19th century
          they had a brewery in Necpaly)

          - In other literature there is only one wife with Adam Justh -
          Christina Dobay - and I found her as mother about 15 yaers ago and, what is
          more important, about 4 years later she is mentioned as godmather -
          literaly Christina Dobay widow after Adam Justh

          So either this is a different Adam Justh - not very probable but not
          impossible,

          Or the record should be read as follows-

          On the 16 of May 1722 was buried the honorable Matron the wife of Richtarik
          from Wrutek, ho was the wine supplier of Lord Adam Justh de Neczpal. She
          was born Hroza but she was called [alias] Paskala and she was 61 years old.

          I personaly would bet on the second possibility

          Any comment is welcommed

          Ladislav

          On the 16 of May 1722 was buried the honorable Matron with the family name
          of Richtarik and from Wrutek. She was the Wife of the winemaker Lord Adam
          Justh de Neczpal. Her first name was Hroza?? but she was called [alias]
          Paskala and she was 61 years old.

          Curt B.

          , "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@...> wrote:

          > Pleas cann somebody help with this?
          >

          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443
          <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443&wc=1
          2> &wc=12
          > 756518
          >

          > On the right side in the middle i read it as follows:
          >
          > Die 16 (majus 1733) Sepulta est Honesta Matrona N.N. Richta
          > rik ex Wrutek ovi??da Consors ?Oenopolie? Dni P. Adami Justh
          > de Neczpal, N. Horza alias Paskalicy annos 61
          >

          > Was this Richtarik the wife of Adam Justh or not? What has she to do with
          > Adam Justh?
          >
          > As far as I know in that time there was only one Adam Justh with Christina
          > Dobay as wife.
          >
          > I think this is the death record of Adam Justh - 18?-FEB-1734:
          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443
          <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443&wc=12
          7> &wc=127
          > 56518
          >

          > Thanks to all
          >
          > Ladislav

        • Ladislav Rosival
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 26, 2011
            I am also sure it is Vrutky, just this is the only occurans of this spelling
            - mostly there is Ruttka. In that time there were two villages - Dolne
            (Also) Vrutky and Horne (Felso) Vrutky.

            Ladislav

            <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@>
            wrote:

            > > Pleas cann somebody help with this?
            > >

            > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443
            <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443&wc=1
            2> &wc=12
            > > 756518
            > >

            > > On the right side in the middle i read it as follows:
            > >
            > > Die 16 (majus 1733) Sepulta est Honesta Matrona N.N. Richta
            > > rik ex Wrutek ovi??da Consors ?Oenopolie? Dni P. Adami Justh
            > > de Neczpal, N. Horza alias Paskalicy annos 61
            > >

            > > Was this Richtarik the wife of Adam Justh or not? What has she to do
            with
            > > Adam Justh?
            > >
            > > As far as I know in that time there was only one Adam Justh with
            Christina
            > > Dobay as wife.
            > >
            > > I think this is the death record of Adam Justh - 18?-FEB-1734:
            > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443
            <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443&wc=12
            7> &wc=127
            > > 56518
            > >

            > > Thanks to all
            > >
            > > Ladislav

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 26, 2011
              Ladislav,
              The reading you suggest is quite possible. The text is difficult because the names are abbreviated and not declined with the rest of the Latin. Though Adam Justh in the genitive could be read either way.

              So if you have other evidence that suggests there is only one Adam Justh, the the Paskala could well be the wife of a winetrader to Adam.

            • Ladislav Rosival
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 26, 2011
                Thanks for replay,

                It is alwasy a question what was first the name of village or the name of the family – comes Vrutky (Ruttka) from Ruttkay or Ruttkay comes from the village Vrutky, I dont know the corrrect answer.

                Your husbands ancestors are from Necpaly? Which surname(s)?

                Just for curiosity – Turiec is one of the few rivers in Slovakie which flows from south to north, so up (Turcianske Teplice) is in the south and down (Martin, Vrutky) in the north.

                Ladislav

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@...> wrote:

                > Pleas cann somebody help with this?
                >

                > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443&wc=12> &wc=12
                > 756518
                >

                > On the right side in the middle i read it as follows:
                >
                > Die 16 (majus 1733) Sepulta est Honesta Matrona N.N. Richta
                > rik ex Wrutek ovi??da Consors ?Oenopolie? Dni P. Adami Justh
                > de Neczpal, N. Horza alias Paskalicy annos 61
                >

                > Was this Richtarik the wife of Adam Justh or not? What has she to do with
                > Adam Justh?
                >
                > As far as I know in that time there was only one Adam Justh with Christina
                > Dobay as wife.
                >
                > I think this is the death record of Adam Justh - 18?-FEB-1734:
                > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443&wc=127> &wc=127
                > 56518
                >

                > Thanks to all
                >
                > Ladislav

              • Margo Smith
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 26, 2011
                  Schmaletz alias Stephanides/Stefanka prior to 1745 (Necpaly and Kostoliste)
                  Kmet' prior to 1707 (Necpaly and Kostoliste)
                  Michalko prior to 1700
                  Pobrhay prior to 1700
                  Valovic, probably, prior to 1700

                  It is the Schmaletz alias Stephanides who were obligated to the Justh family.

                  I don't know which was first, the village or the family.  Actually, I never really tried to figure it out.  Probably predates the existing records.

                  Margo

                  This is very interesting. If her family name was Richtarik, does that mean her family descended from the original mayor (richtar) of the village? Is Wrutek one of the names for Vrutky, at the north end of the Turiec Valley? (Which comes from the Ruttkay noble family.) Neczpaly is mid way down the Turiec Valley on the east side. Lutheran area. Yes, the noble Justh family lived in the Necpaly/Kostoliste area. I didn't know they grew grapes in that valley.

                  My husband's ancestors were perpetually obligated serfs to members of the Justh family.

                  Margo

                  On the 16 of May 1722 was buried the honorable Matron with the family name of Richtarik and from Wrutek. She was the Wife of the winemaker Lord Adam Justh de Neczpal. Her first name was Hroza?? but she was called [alias] Paskala and she was 61 years old.

                  Curt B.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@...> wrote:

                  > Pleas cann somebody help with this?
                  >

                  > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443&wc=12> &wc=12
                  > 756518
                  >

                  > On the right side in the middle i read it as follows:
                  >
                  > Die 16 (majus 1733) Sepulta est Honesta Matrona N.N. Richta
                  > rik ex Wrutek ovi??da Consors ?Oenopolie? Dni P. Adami Justh
                  > de Neczpal, N. Horza alias Paskalicy annos 61
                  >

                  > Was this Richtarik the wife of Adam Justh or not? What has she to do with
                  > Adam Justh?
                  >
                  > As far as I know in that time there was only one Adam Justh with Christina
                  > Dobay as wife.
                  >
                  > I think this is the death record of Adam Justh - 18?-FEB-1734:
                  > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443&wc=127> &wc=127
                  > 56518
                  >

                  > Thanks to all
                  >
                  > Ladislav

                • Margo Smith
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 26, 2011
                    Well, I descend from 3 generations of William Smith (and if you think that is fun to research).  The father of the first William was Jacob, and there we have a dead end.  Jacob was a farmer in the Dayton area, b. ca. 1805.  Generations before, was there a smith?  Maybe goldsmith, tinsmith.  No one knows -- yet.

                    The name Richtarik and word richtar are certainly related, but this says
                    nothing about family descent. Your name is Smith, and related to Blacksmith,
                    but we don't suppose you are descended from some original blacksmith.

                    Wrutek is just the spelling as given by the bad Latinist writing in the
                    register. I certainly assume it is Vrutky.

                    CB

                    , Margo Smith <margolane61@...> wrote:

                    > This is very interesting.  If her family name was Richtarik, does that
                    mean her family descended from the original mayor (richtar)Â of the

                    wrote:

                    > > Pleas cann somebody help with this?
                    > >

                    > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443
                    <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-1684-91?cc=1554443&wc=1
                    2> &wc=12
                    > > 756518
                    > >

                    > > On the right side in the middle i read it as follows:
                    > >
                    > > Die 16 (majus 1733) Sepulta est Honesta Matrona N.N. Richta
                    > > rik ex Wrutek ovi??da Consors ?Oenopolie? Dni P. Adami Justh
                    > > de Neczpal, N. Horza alias Paskalicy annos 61
                    > >

                    > > Was this Richtarik the wife of Adam Justh or not? What has she to do
                    with
                    > > Adam Justh?
                    > >
                    > > As far as I know in that time there was only one Adam Justh with
                    Christina
                    > > Dobay as wife.
                    > >
                    > > I think this is the death record of Adam Justh - 18?-FEB-1734:
                    > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443
                    <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22637-2148-0?cc=1554443&wc=12
                    7> &wc=127
                    > > 56518
                    > >

                    > > Thanks to all
                    > >
                    > > Ladislav

                  • Margo Smith
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 26, 2011
                      Good point, Ron.  the tax records I have examined for the Turiec valley (earliest 1715) have space to indicate wine production, and they are blank for the Turiec villages I have examined.  They could have grown grapes earlier.