MARKOTAN-HORNAK-KOCIS-FARKASOVSKY

  • Marlene K. Markotan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
      I am new to the list. My husband is Slovak and we recently started researching his family.

      His grandfather, Julius John MARKOTAN was born in Susany Czechoslovakia in 1924. He came to Brownsville, Fayette Co. PA with his mother, Mary (KOVACH) MARKOTAN and brother John in 1936. His father, Andrew MARKOTAN, was already living in Brownsville. Andrew and Mary were born near Susany in Hrnciarske Zaluzany. Both places are located near Rimarska Sabata. Andrew was an orphan and raised in an orphanage. On his social security application he lists his mother's name as Kathryn MARKOTAN and father unknown. I don't know if he was illegitimate or he didn't know his father's name or his mother's maiden name. Are there records for orphanages in Slovakia around 1900?

      My husband also has a couple of other Slovak ancestors. George and Mary (FRANKO) HORNICK/HORNAK. They came to America around 1890 and settled near Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland Co. PA. Mary was born in 1864. I don't know what part of Slovakia they are from.

      Also Michael and Anna (FARKASOVSKY) KOCIS. They lived in Leisenring, Fayette Co. PA. Anna came to America in 1898. According to her passenger list she was born in Zempl Bam Slovakia. I haven't been able to find it on any map old or new. It may be misspelled. Anna didn't like it in America and returned to Slovakia around 1910 - 1914. She left 5 girls behind. Her family sent enough money for her and 1 child to return. She took the only boy. They were never heard from again. Are there any records of people who went back to Slovakia or civilians who died in World War I?

      Any information on these families would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Marlene Markotan
      Morgantown, PA
    • mark JESKO
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999
        Ahoj Marlene

        There is a small town called ZEMPLINSKY BRANC located south of the city
        of TREBISOV, in the county of ZEMPLIN in Eastern Slovakia.

        This is the closest I could come to RAM.

        The ZEMPL. part is a standard abbreviation for ZEMPLIN.

        Hope this helps.
      • Andy Verostko
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 1999

          Marlene K. Markotan wrote:

          > From: "Marlene K. Markotan" <mmarkotan@...>
          >
          > I am new to the list.� My husband is Slovak and we recently started researching his family.
          >
          > My husband also has a couple of other Slovak ancestors.� George and Mary (FRANKO) HORNICK/HORNAK.� They came to America around 1890 and settled near Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland Co. PA.� Mary was born in 1864.� I don't know what part of Slovakia they are from.
          > .
          >
          > Any information on these families would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Marlene Markotan

          Marlene - There was a Hornak family in Mount Pleasant that belonged to the
          Visitation Parish.� In fact One of the Hornak girls became a nun and recently
          celebrated her 75th anniversary.�� Anyway the Visitation records are quite good
          in the early 1900 time frame but you will have to schedule a visit and know what
          data you are looking for.� The early records identify what town in Slovakia
          parents, wedding� couples or deceased came from.� I good search for births
          deaths and marriages should get you a name of a town in Slovakia.� Oh, the
          Visitation is a Slovak Parish.� I no longer live there but I still have family
          in the area and visit only a couple times a year.
          .

          .
          Regards

          Andy Verostko

          averostko@...

          http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko/

          .
        • Marlene K. Markotan
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
            Thanks for the information. I went to the Visitation Cemetery for the first
            time last Sunday. I called the church Monday to get more information. I
            found several Hornick's buried there. A couple are definately related. I
            don't know who the rest are. I have the name and phone number of a couple
            of relatives who still live in Mount Pleasant. We tried contacting one
            several times, but no one answered. I found who I think is Mary (Franko)
            Hornick and her second husband, George Banks buried there. I didn't find
            George Hornick. He was killed in some sort of coal mine accident sometime
            after 1907. I thought maybe he doesn't have a stone, so I called the
            church hoping they could find the record. They said they would call be back
            in 3-4 days.

            I didn't realize you could search through Catholic church records yourself.
            The Pittsburgh Diocese told me they are the only people who can search
            through their records. I got the impression the church doesn't keep a copy
            of the records once they are sent to the Diocese Archival office. I guess I
            just figured the other Catholic Diocese have the same policy.

            Thanks again,

            Marlene Markotan

            >> I am new to the list. My husband is Slovak and we recently started
            researching his family.

            >> My husband also has a couple of other Slovak ancestors. George and Mary
            (FRANKO) HORNICK/HORNAK. They came to America around 1890 and settled near
            Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland Co. PA. Mary was born in 1864. I don't know
            what part of Slovakia they are from.
            >> .
            >>
            >> Any information on these families would be appreciated.
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >>
            >> Marlene Markotan
            >

            >Marlene - There was a Hornak family in Mount Pleasant that belonged to the
            >Visitation Parish. In fact One of the Hornak girls became a nun and
            recently
            >celebrated her 75th anniversary. Anyway the Visitation records are quite
            good
            >in the early 1900 time frame but you will have to schedule a visit and know
            what
            >data you are looking for. The early records identify what town in Slovakia
            >parents, wedding couples or deceased came from. I good search for births
            >deaths and marriages should get you a name of a town in Slovakia. Oh, the
            >Visitation is a Slovak Parish. I no longer live there but I still have
            family
            >in the area and visit only a couple times a year.
            >.
            >
            >.
            >Regards
            >
            >Andy Verostko
            >
            >averostko@...
            >
            >http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko/
            >
            >.

            >ONElist now brings ICQ Instant Messaging to members
            >For details,

          • Marlene K. Markotan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
              Thanks this should help.

            • CPRAMUKA@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
                In a message dated 8/4/99 10:32:32 AM, SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com writes:

                <<Also Michael and Anna (FARKASOVSKY) KOCIS. They lived in Leisenring,
                Fayette Co. PA. Anna came to America in 1898. According to her passenger
                list she was born in Zempl Bam Slovakia.>>

                Marlene,

                My husband's greatgrandmother was Anna Farkasovsky from Jamnik, Spis,
                Slovakia. I'm sure his Anna and yours are not the same, but there are many
                FARKASOVSKYs in Jamnik. It is just east of Spisska Nova Ves. The church was
                in the next village, Odorin, so look for Odorin records in the LDS
                microfilms. The film numbers are: 1739661 through 1739663 inclusive.

                Dee Taylor
                CPRAMUKA@...