  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "patti wilkin" <tishwp@h...> wrote:
      > I joined this list to search for my husbands family. They have
      always said
      > they were slavik, but I was never sure what that meant. The story
      is they
      > were one of the first families in Little Ferry, NJ. His name is
      Pytlik and
      > her name is Turick.
      > Now that I've been watching the list for awhile maybe my polish
      grandmother
      > would also fit in here. She is a Yankowski from Slabodia, Poland.
      Her
      > father was Joseph Yankowski and her mother was Amelia Dolick. This
      is all
      > off her ss application. I understand they came here when she was 2,
      so that
      > should be about 1911,

      Word 'Slavish/Slavik' was sometimes used in U.S. Census enumerations
      for 1900 and 1910.

      If nativity and language were marked 'Slavish/Slavik' this
      invariably meant (Carpatho) Rusyn ethnicity and implied a G.C.
      religion affiliation.
      (Carpatho-Rusyns speak 'po nashemu', their language is similar
      to Ukrainian and uses the Cyrillic alphabet)
      Sometimes the lines in the censuses were crossed out later
      and rewritten with the word 'Slovak'.
      'Slavish/Slavik' was a somewhat derogatory term at the time.

      Poles tended to be R.C. religion.
      What was the surname religious affiliation ?

      There is no place named Slabodia located in Poland.
      Perhaps it was a phonetic rendition of some place name such as
      Sloboda, Poland.

      From the late 1790s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
      country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
      Austrian Empires. These divisions were known as Partitions.

      There was Russian-Poland, German-Poland, and Austrian-Poland, but no
      country called Poland for 125 years.

      In Polish and most Slavic languages , the letter J is pron. Y and
      the letter Y is not used for surnames.

      Jankowski is a common Polish surname derived from the Polish first
      name Jan (John)
      The Poles derived about 120 different surnames from the first name
      Jan by just changing the surname endings.

      There are a great many surname Jankowski bearers in the world.
      Probably 5000-7500 surname bearers just in the US.