Words to Rusyn - Lemko Song

  • ccknk
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 14, 2011
      By any chance, does anyone in this group have or know the words to the song, "Potetilbym na kray svita" ("I would fly to an end of the Earth"). I believe it is a Rusyn and/or Lemko song that I have been told arose during the great exodus of Austro-Hungarians to America and other parts of Europe during the late 1800's. It's a haunting melody and I would like to get the English lyrics to it. Thank you. Nick
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 14, 2011
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cn1xvO1Fds

        Have you tried contacting the uplader of this YouTube clip?

        Peter

        On 15 November 2011 11:42, ccknk <ccknk@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > By any chance, does anyone in this group have or know the words to the
        > song, "Potetilbym na kray svita" ("I would fly to an end of the Earth"). I
        > believe it is a Rusyn and/or Lemko song that I have been told arose during
        > the great exodus of Austro-Hungarians to America and other parts of Europe
        > during the late 1800's. It's a haunting melody and I would like to get the
        > English lyrics to it. Thank you. Nick

      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 2011
          Peter, thank you for your response.  I heard the YouTube version but have not contacted
          the individual that uploaded the video clip.  That is an excellent suggestion that I will try
          today.  If I am successful in getting the words I will share them with the group via this
          site.  I invite everyone on the site to check out the video and listen to the song.  At least
          to me it relays the desire of an economically and culturally depressed people for a better
          life.
          Thank you again Peter.
          Nick

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 17, 2011
            Peter,
            Your suggestion about contacting the individual who uploaded the song on YouTube has been successful. I got a reply from "Ka8Zytan" this afternoon and as I promised, I am posting the lyrics to the song, "Potetilbym na kray svita (I would fly to an end of the Earth)" here on the Slovak Roots forum for anyone interested in having them. The translation is by "Ka8Zytan" (I do not have his/her name, only a YouTube user name). I encourage everyone to go to YouTube to hear the actual song being sung ... I think it captures the feeling on many Eastern Europeans that wanted to leave the Austro-Hungarian Empire and go to America.

            "I would fly to the edge of the world
            like wind, which blows in the field
            To the American land
            But I regret you, my thatched house."

            "We have severe poverty in our country
            You can't earn a living
            I have to go away
            But I regret you, my mountains, green mountains."

            "I regret you, my grey oxen
            I've looked after you for three years
            I regret you
            Otherwise I would go to the American land."

            "I regret you my land, where my mum and dad live
            Although we are poor I won't go
            To the American land."

            Thank you again "Ka8Zytan" and Peter.

            Nick

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 17, 2011
              Well done Nick.
              I think that youtube is a very under-estimated resource.
              I have found many folk songs and other cultural information that have given
              me leads and understandings. Some of them are very sad, but others are
              happy. For those like myself whose origins, ethnicity and nationalities are
              different, it helps to answer what you really are.
              Through youtube, I managed to contact a Magyar ethnic school in Slovakia
              that my Moravian ancestors attended.
              Carefully searching youtube will give results that often you don't expect.

              This one is one of my Rusyn favourites:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk7wzfysSfU

              The words are:

              Flowing water, flowing, on rock it drones,
              what js it mom, what is waiting for me abroad.
              Not once, you have cried for me, mom,
              until you've raised me a girl, mom.
              You prepared my wedding, mom
              even I didnt notice that you got older.
              Now, mom, I'll manage,
              that I will take care of you, until you die.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 17, 2011
                Thank you.  After all of the valuable information I have received by virtue of reading
                the various posts here on the forum I hope that I am able to contribute as well.
                I agree that YouTube is a valuable resource.  And thank you for sharing the song that
                you like.  I listened to it and agree; I think it also reflects some of the soul of the
                Rusyn culture.
                Nick

                ________________________________
                I think that yo is a very under-estimated resource.
                I have found many folk songs and other cultural information that have given
                me leads and understandings. Some of them are very sad, but others are
                happy. For those like myself whose origins, ethnicity and nationalities are
                different, it helps to answer what you really are.
                Through youtube, I managed to contact a Magyar ethnic school in Slovakia
                that my Moravian ancestors attended.
                Carefully searching youtube will give results that often you don't expect.

                This one is one of my R favour:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk7wzfysSfU

                The words are:

                Flowing water, flowing, on rock it drones,
                what j it mom, what is waiting for me abroad.

              • elevans1
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 18, 2011
                  Peter,

                  Thank you so much for researching and posting this song info!

                  I am not a member of the other groups, so I couldn't post your song to them.

                  :) Elaine

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccknk" <ccknk@...> wrote:

                  > Peter,
                  > Your suggestion about contacting the individual who uploaded the song on YouTube has been successful. I got a reply from "Ka8Zytan" this afternoon and as I promised, I am posting the lyrics to the song, "Potetilbym na kray svita (I would fly to an end of the Earth)" here on the Slovak Roots forum for anyone interested in having them. The translation is by "Ka8Zytan" (I do not have his/her name, only a YouTube user name). I encourage everyone to go to YouTube to hear the actual song being sung ... I think it captures the feeling on many Eastern Europeans that wanted to leave the Austro-Hungarian Empire and go to America.
                  >
                  > "I would fly to the edge of the world
                  > like wind, which blows in the field
                  > To the American land
                  > But I regret you, my thatched house."
                  >
                  > "We have severe poverty in our country
                  > You can't earn a living
                  > I have to go away
                  > But I regret you, my mountains, green mountains."
                  >
                  > "I regret you, my grey oxen
                  > I've looked after you for three years
                  > I regret you
                  > Otherwise I would go to the American land."
                  >
                  > "I regret you my land, where my mum and dad live
                  > Although we are poor I won't go
                  > To the American land."
                  >
                  > Thank you again "Ka8Zytan" and Peter.
                  >
                  > Nick

                • Nick Kerpchar
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 18, 2011
                    Elaine,
                    It is I, Nick, that posted the lyrics to "Potetilbym na kray svita (I would fly to an end of the Earth)" and
                    not Peter.  He suggested I contact the individual who uploaded the song onto YouTube.  I will see
                    about joining the Rusyn Heritage Yahoo Group and then post the lyrics there as well.  I must again thank
                    the individual, Ka8Zytan or perhaps it is Ka82ytan", for giving me his tanslation of the lyrics into English.
                    However, I see that this is getting to be a long story so I will simply say that I will join the other forum
                    and post the translated lyrics to this moving song there.

                    Best wishes, Nick

                    ________________________________
                    Thank you so much for researching and posting this song info!

                    I am not a member of the other groups, so I couldn't post your song to them.

                    :) Elaine

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccknk" <ccknk@...> wrote:

                    > Peter,
                    > Your suggestion about contacting the individual who uploaded the song on YouTube has been successful. I got a reply from "Ka8Zytan" this afternoon and as I promised, I am posting the lyrics to the song, "Potetilbym na kray svita (I would fly to an end of the Earth)" here on the Slovak Roots forum for anyone interested in having them. The translation is by "Ka8Zytan" (I do not have his/her name, only a YouTube user name). I encourage everyone to go to YouTube to hear the actual song being sung ... I think it captures the feeling on many Eastern Europeans that wanted to leave the Austro-Hungarian Empire and go to America.
                    >
                    > "I would fly to the edge of the world
                    > like wind, which blows in the field
                    > To the American land
                    > But I regret you, my thatched house."
                    >
                    > "We have severe poverty in our country
                    > You can't earn a living
                    > I have to go away
                    > But I regret you, my mountains, green mountains."
                    >
                    > "I regret you, my grey oxen
                    > I've looked after you for three years
                    > I regret you
                    > Otherwise I would go to the American land."
                    >
                    > "I regret you my land, where my mum and dad live
                    > Although we are poor I won't go
                    > To the American land."
                    >
                    > Thank you again "Ka8Zytan" and Peter.
                    >
                    > Nick

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 18, 2011
                      Elaine and Nick,
                      Can you also post the Sága krásy - Teče voda teče link and lyrics as well?

                      Also, it could be that the Rusyn groups may already be aware of them.
                      There is also another piece that I've researched and contributed to
                      Wikipedia as an editor. It concerns the atrocities faced by the Ruysn
                      ethnic population during Tito's reprisals against the Germans, Royal
                      Serbians and Hungarians nearing the end of WWII. The link is:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_purges_in_Serbia_in_1944%E2%80%931945
                      You may want to let them know :(

                      Peter

                    • Nick Kerpchar
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 19, 2011
                        Peter and Elaine,
                        I submitted my request for membership to the Rusyn Heritage Group yesterday and am
                        waiting for approval.  Once that happens I will search their archives to see if the lyrics
                        of any of these songs has been previously posted.  If not, then I will be happy to do
                        what I can.

                        Peter, congratulations upon your contribution to Wikipedia regarding atrocities done to
                        the Rusyn ethnic population.  Live was so hard the way it was for the Rusyns that it
                        breaks my heart when I think about oppression visited upon them or any other ethnic
                        group.  I use Wikipedia quite often when gathering background data for various projects.
                        Thank you for making that site an information go to place.

                        I will let you both know how things go at the Rusyn Heritage Group.

                        Nick

                        ________________________________
                        Can you also post the Sága krásy - Teče voda teče link and lyrics as well?

                        Also, it could be that the Rusyn groups may already be aware of them.
                        There is also another piece that I've researched and contributed to
                        Wikipedia as an editor. It concerns the atrocities faced by the Ruysn
                        ethnic population during Tito's reprisals against the Germans, Royal
                        Serbians and Hungarians nearing the end of WWII. The link is:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_purges_in_Serbia_in_1944%E2%80%931945
                        You may want to let them know :(

                        Peter

                        On 19 November 2011 04:27, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Elaine,
                        > It is I, Nick, that posted the lyrics to "Potetilbym na kray svita (I
                        > would fly to an end of the Earth)" and
                        > not Peter. He suggested I contact the individual who uploaded the song
                        > onto YouTube. I will see
                        > about joining the Rusyn Heritage Yahoo Group and then post the lyrics
                        > there as well. I must again thank
                        > the individual, Ka8Zytan or perhaps it is Ka82ytan", for giving me his
                        > tanslation of the lyrics into English.
                        > However, I see that this is getting to be a long story so I will simply
                        > say that I will join the other forum
                        > and post the translated lyrics to this moving song there.
                        >
                        > Best wishes, Nick
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Nick Kerpchar
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2012
                          It has been almost two months and I have not received approval for my
                          request to join the Rusyn Heritage Yahoo Group so I have not posted the
                          words to the songs as desired.  It has been very busy here but I will send
                          and e-mail to see if my request was received and, if so, the status of my
                          affiliation.  Just wanted everyone to know I have not forgotten about
                          posting the lyrics to the songs.

                          Thanks, Nick

                          ________________________________
                          Can you also post the Sága krásy - Teče voda teče link and lyrics as well?

                          Also, it could be that the Rusyn groups may already be aware of them.
                          There is also another piece that I've researched and contributed to
                          Wikipedia as an editor. It concerns the atrocities faced by the Ruysn
                          ethnic population during Tito's reprisals against the Germans, Royal
                          Serbians and Hungarians nearing the end of WWII. The link is:
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_purges_in_Serbia_in_1944%E2%80%931945
                          You may want to let them know :(

                          Peter

                          On 19 November 2011 04:27, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Elaine,
                          > It is I, Nick, that posted the lyrics to "Potetilbym na kray svita (I
                          > would fly to an end of the Earth)" and
                          > not Peter. He suggested I contact the individual who uploaded the song
                          > onto YouTube. I will see
                          > about joining the Rusyn Heritage Yahoo Group and then post the lyrics
                          > there as well. I must again thank
                          > the individual, Ka8Zytan or perhaps it is Ka82ytan", for giving me his
                          > tanslation of the lyrics into English.
                          > However, I see that this is getting to be a long story so I will simply
                          > say that I will join the other forum
                          > and post the translated lyrics to this moving song there.
                          >
                          > Best wishes, Nick

                        • Nick Kerpchar
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
                            Peter,
                            I may have already updated you about thi, however, I have posted the lyrics
                            to Tece voda tece as well as where to hear the actual song on YouTube.
                            Thanks for the lyrics.
                            Nick