Re: [S-R] Help with town name please

  • deeellessbee
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 13, 2011
      Thanks, Michael! Appreciate the confirmation!

      Debbie

      > Debbie,
      > Szarosvolgy is now Sucha Dolina.

    • sabrina.harbin
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 24, 2015
        Thanks for your reply on Stefan, Debbie. My family is from saros area as well.

        When deciding to look through a town/villages record for a specific person you must also be aware their religion plays a huge factor, roman catholic with rc and greek catholic with such and so on. Be sure to check their record for this notation!

         Be prepared for a possible long journey as well I have been looking through records one by one for months now and now I've bumped into looking at GK (aka greek catholic) records that are in cyrillic, so now I'm not sure what to do hah!

        Do yourself a favor and don't listen to family stories to actuate what your are looking for, you will be surprised on what you find! good luck!
      • deeellessbee
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 24, 2015
          Yes, Sabrina, I am Greek Catholic and I have been looking into the Greek Catholic records, and I too have come across some cyrillic records.  Some aren't too bad, if I have a chart next to me, but some of the writing is so bad I can't make out what the letters are.  It's a challenge!  :)
        • sabrina.harbin
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 25, 2015
            A chart might help..lol most of it looks like algebra to me so I need some lol.

            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 25, 2015
              Have a friend looking for you want too try this idea...?

              Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2011
              I found a record for an ancestor in the GK records from Miklosvagas, but in the record it looks like they did not actually live in Miklosvagas, but in a town that looks to be "Szaros Volgy". In several of the surrounding records this town is written on two lines - Szaros on one line, Volgy on the other, so I'm not sure if it's one word or two. It may also be Szaroz or Szaraz.

              A chart might help..lol most of it looks like algebra to me so I need some lol.

              Yes, Sabrina, I am Greek Catholic and I have been looking into the Greek Catholic records, and I too have come across some cyrillic records.  Some aren't too bad, if I have a chart next to me, but some of the writing is so bad I can't make out what the letters are.  It's a challenge!  :)

            • Robert Pollak
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 25, 2015
                It looks like Szaros Volgy  but Sucha Dolina was called  Szarazvolgy between  1863 and 1913.  (from cisarik.com)

                Bob Pollak

                Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2011

                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 25, 2015
                  Algebra!  Too funny!  I never thought of that but you are kind of right... :)

                  Debbie
                • Sue Martin
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 26, 2015

                    It's Szárazvõlgy in Hungarian, now Suchá Dolina in Slovakia.

                    Sue

                    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2011
                    I found a record for an ancestor in the GK records from Miklosvagas, but in the record it looks like they did not actually live in Miklosvagas, but in a town that looks to be "Szaros Volgy". In several of the surrounding records this town is written on two lines - Szaros on one line, Volgy on the other, so I'm not sure if it's one word or two. It may also be Szaroz or Szaraz.

                    A chart might help..lol most of it looks like algebra to me so I need some lol.

                    Yes, Sabrina, I am Greek Catholic and I have been looking into the Greek Catholic records, and I too have come across some cyrillic records.  Some aren't too bad, if I have a chart next to me, but some of the writing is so bad I can't make out what the letters are.  It's a challenge!  :)

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 26, 2015
                      This research is very confusing. The Research book Vlastivedny SLOVNIK OBCI na Slovensku does not list Sucha Dolina as a town.  It lists it as part of Sedlice.  Both are now separate places.

                      Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2011

                      From: "deeellessbee@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: 08/24/2015 6:41 PM (GMT-05:00)
                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                      Yes, Sabrina, I am Greek Catholic and I have been looking into the Greek Catholic records, and I too have come across some cyrillic records.  Some aren't too bad, if I have a chart next to me, but some of the writing is so bad I can't make out what the letters are.  It's a challenge!  :)

                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 26, 2015
                        Sedlice and Sucha Dolina are 2 km apart. Just a nice walk in the country.
                      • Alexandra Vargovits
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 26, 2015
                          The two villages united admisistratively in 1965.

                          Otherwise "Száraz völgy" means Dry Valley in Hungarian.
                          (and Szaros means Shitty)

                          Lexy

                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 27, 2015
                            Wow, how did this old post get resurrected?  :)  I thought, when I replied to Sabrina about cyrillic, that it was on a MUCH more recent thread, not some old one that was dug up from 2011!  :)
                          • sabrina.harbin
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 28, 2015
                              Lol I need some help with those records,
                              Can anyone look from images 183 and back for a mihaly Janusz please? Or ANY other Janusz? Thanks!!

                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 28, 2015
                                  >>> Can anyone look from images 183 and back for a mihaly Janusz please? Or ANY other Janusz? Thanks!! <<<

                                  You will need to post the URL.
                                • sabrina.harbin
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 29, 2015
                                  • Alexandra Vargovits
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 29, 2015
                                      there is not Janusz in this picture

                                      Lexy

                                    • Sabrina Harbin
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 29, 2015
                                        I know there isn't hehe :) ... I need someone to help me go  through the remaining records to see if there are ANY Janusz listed please? I cannot read Cyrillic, thanks!

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 29, 2015
                                              Sorry, I don't read Cyrillic. I get a cousin in Slovakia to research the particular pages that I need help with.
                                            • Sabrina Harbin
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 29, 2015
                                                Ah when I saw you requested the link I assumed you had! thx for everything you have contributed though!