More on Husar family

  • jwjhusar@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2001
      Thank you to everyone who responded to my first query.
      One more question ( or verification). Teplicka, Spis-ska, Slovakia was part of Austria-Hungary during the 1890's.
      Was Tapolca, Hungary, once Teplicka, Spis-ska, Slovakia?
      The reason for asking is that on GF's SS5 it lists place of birth as Teplica, Spis Co.,Slovakia. The 1910 census from Penn. lists him from Austria. His naturalization certificate lists him as a subject of Hungary. I can follow all this through the time and bondary changes,but his WW1 discharge paper lists him from Tapolca, Hungary. Could this be possibly be a misinterpretation by the person filling out any of the paperwork? From what I can decipher from looking at maps, Tapolca, Hungary is quite a distance from Slovakia.
      Also, if anyone has Husar in their background, please contact me.
      Once again, a heartfelt thank you to any response.
      Joe G. Husar
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., jwjhusar@w... wrote:
        > Thank you to everyone who responded to my first query.
        > One more question ( or verification). Teplicka, Spis-ska, Slovakia
        was part of Austria-Hungary during the 1890's.
        > Was Tapolca, Hungary, once Teplicka, Spis-ska, Slovakia?
        > The reason for asking is that on GF's SS5 it lists place of birth
        as Teplica, Spis Co.,Slovakia. The 1910 census from Penn. lists him
        from Austria. His naturalization certificate lists him as a subject of
        Hungary. I can follow all this through the time and bondary
        changes,but his WW1 discharge paper lists him from Tapolca, Hungary.
        Could this be possibly be a misinterpretation by the person filling
        out any of the paperwork? From what I can decipher from looking at
        maps, Tapolca, Hungary is quite a distance from Slovakia.
        > Also, if anyone has Husar in their background, please contact me.
        > Once again, a heartfelt thank you to any response.
        > Joe G. Husar

        Just a case of mistaken identity due to transliteration of places
        names from Hungarian to Slovak language.

        There are two places named Teplic^ka located in Slovakia.

        1) Teplic^ka nad Váhom (Sv) Vágtapolca (H) located in western
        Slovakia.

        2) Teplic^ka (Sv) Hernádtapolca (H) located near Spis^ská Nová Ves
        (Sv) Igló (H) in eastern Slovakia.

        Spis^ z^upa (county) was formerly called Szepes Megye (county) when
        part of Upper-Hungary under the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918)

        (The Slovak z^upy system for counties was discontinued in 1922)
        Administrative term used now is okres (district)

        About a dozen places in Slovakia bore the Hungarian prefix Hernád -
        before
        they were changed to their Slovak names after WW I.

        Then there is a town also called Tapolca/Tapolcza/Tapolezai located
        88 miles WSW of Budapest and near Lake Balaton in current Hungary.

        It wasn't until the 1920 US Census that countries of origin began to
        be changed to reflect the post-war political realities of Europe.

        In fact, in the 1900/1910 U.S. Census enumerations, AH, Austria,
        Hungary, Austro-Hung, or some other combination (meaning the former
        Austro-Hungarian Monarchy and earlier Austrian Empire territories)
        was usually used.

        Initially after the peace treaty, the term Slovakland was used in US
        Census enumerations to differeniate from Czech-Bohemia (and before the
        name Czechoslovakia began to be commonly used)