  • patti wilkin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2001
      I joined this list to search for my husbands family. They have always said
      they were slavik, but I was never sure what that meant. The story is they
      were one of the first families in Little Ferry, NJ. His name is Pytlik and
      her name is Turick.
      Now that I've been watching the list for awhile maybe my polish grandmother
      would also fit in here. She is a Yankowski from Slabodia, Poland. Her
      father was Joseph Yankowski and her mother was Amelia Dolick. This is all
      off her ss application. I understand they came here when she was 2, so that
      should be about 1911,

      TIA,

      Patti
      Wilkin, Dawson, Pryor, Dugan, Yankowski, Carfagna, Natola, Pytlik, Turick

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "patti wilkin" <tishwp@h...> wrote:
        > I joined this list to search for my husbands family. They have
        always said
        > they were slavik, but I was never sure what that meant. The story
        is they
        > were one of the first families in Little Ferry, NJ. His name is
        Pytlik and
        > her name is Turick.
        > Now that I've been watching the list for awhile maybe my polish
        grandmother
        > would also fit in here. She is a Yankowski from Slabodia, Poland.
        Her
        > father was Joseph Yankowski and her mother was Amelia Dolick. This
        is all
        > off her ss application. I understand they came here when she was 2,
        so that
        > should be about 1911,

        Word 'Slavish/Slavik' was sometimes used in U.S. Census enumerations
        for 1900 and 1910.

        If nativity and language were marked 'Slavish/Slavik' this
        invariably meant (Carpatho) Rusyn ethnicity and implied a G.C.
        religion affiliation.
        (Carpatho-Rusyns speak 'po nashemu', their language is similar
        to Ukrainian and uses the Cyrillic alphabet)
        Sometimes the lines in the censuses were crossed out later
        and rewritten with the word 'Slovak'.
        'Slavish/Slavik' was a somewhat derogatory term at the time.

        Poles tended to be R.C. religion.
        What was the surname religious affiliation ?

        There is no place named Slabodia located in Poland.
        Perhaps it was a phonetic rendition of some place name such as
        Sloboda, Poland.

        From the late 1790s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
        country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
        Austrian Empires. These divisions were known as Partitions.

        There was Russian-Poland, German-Poland, and Austrian-Poland, but no
        country called Poland for 125 years.

        In Polish and most Slavic languages , the letter J is pron. Y and
        the letter Y is not used for surnames.

        Jankowski is a common Polish surname derived from the Polish first
        name Jan (John)
        The Poles derived about 120 different surnames from the first name
        Jan by just changing the surname endings.

        There are a great many surname Jankowski bearers in the world.
        Probably 5000-7500 surname bearers just in the US.