Family History Centers

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
      I am curious if anyone has visited one of the LDS centers and what their experience was. I have a couple close to me and would really like to view films not available online. Unfortunately, I've kept away because of an experience I had a few years ago. I am a Roman Catholic and have no interest in converting but I have always been fascinated by different religious beliefs. A few years ago I had ordered a book about Mormons off Amazon but it was from an individual seller and not Amazon itself. Within a week, people started showing up at my door. I work evenings so I was not at home but found 3 different notes from members of the LDS church. It was not a random canvas as they had my name. I felt rather violated and that is what has kept me from visiting a FHC. If anyone has visited one, have you been pressured?
    • Bob Pollak
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
        I have used the FHC in both Tucson and in Lubbock and have never had anyone from the Mormon Church come to my home. About once a week I visit the local FHC to view films and no one has ever approached me about becoming a member of the church or try to influence me in any way. It must have been a local thing that you experienced.

        Bob Pollak

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
          Never pressured, ever! The librarians are not supposed to talk about their beliefs. They are there to help you in your research. Period. There are times when they help members of the church with their research and submissions, but in my experience it is kept low key so as not to disturb others. And especially not to make non-members feel strange. That has been MY experience in Midland, Texas, where the staff has been wonderful to me for the last 7 years. They've become friends and the issue of religion has never come up.

          Hope you find a place where you feel comfortable, because you CAN learn so much there (about researching tactics and your own family history)! Not all staff is the same so if one FHC isn't comfortable, try the other. Good luck!

          Kris in Texas

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
            Karen:

            I'm sincerely sorry that you had that kind of an experience. What concerns me is that you didn't request information from the church, and you requested it through a commercial source which should not have triggered this type of followup. You must have purchased that book from an over-enthusastic church member.

            I'm not the unbiased source you were looking for, as I am also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons or LDS). But I will tell you that I have been in family history centers in several states, even volunteered in one in California when I lived there, along with my very Roman Catholic friend--we both enjoyed working there one evening per week and often flew to SLC to do research together as well. The majority of the people doing research at the libraries are not members of the LDS faith. The information there is offered as a service to all; no strings attached. The people who serve as volunteers are there to assist you with the films and equipment, not as missionaries for the church. I've yet to see someone be asked if they wanted information about the church. There may be cards one can fill out on a desk there for those who are interested; that would be about it.

            I would encourage you to request the film(s) that you are interested in. It would be a shame not to use the service intended.

            On a separate note, I might add that each family history center is different--not in the equipment offered, but in the quantity of equipment, permanent films, books, etc, as well as hours of availability. You might find one has a kind of local interest permanent collection that can save you having to order the films you want. Or you might find it is too small to have anything like that. Check them both out.

            Peg

            On Nov 7, 2011, at 5:36 PM, Karen wrote:

            I am curious if anyone has visited one of the LDS centers and what their experience was. I have a couple close to me and would really like to view films not available online. Unfortunately, I've kept away because of an experience I had a few years ago. I am a Roman Catholic and have no interest in converting but I have always been fascinated by different religious beliefs. A few years ago I had ordered a book about Mormons off Amazon but it was from an individual seller and not Amazon itself. Within a week, people started showing up at my door. I work evenings so I was not at home but found 3 different notes from members of the LDS church. It was not a random canvas as they had my name. I felt rather violated and that is what has kept me from visiting a FHC. If anyone has visited one, have you been pressured?

          • Sandra & John Panzitta
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
              Hi Karen,

              I am a Christian/Roman Catholic and went to my local LDS center - the people there were just wonderful. One day I was there ordering films and I asked questions about the Mormon faith. I was curious what drove the Mormons to be so heavily interested in genealogy. All my questions were answered, there was no pressure and I was offered the Book of Mormon. The director of the center went as far as to "scold" the assistant who was answering my questions. The center had a strict policy of not pushing their religion. I had to make it clear I was asking the questions and was a willing participant in the conversation and had initiated the discussion. I encourage you to go to your local center.

              Sandra

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
                Thank you Peg, Kris and Bob. I've come as far as I could with online research and really would like to see the missing films. My hesitance has been partly because I felt taken advantage of but mostly because of my landlord's reaction to those visits...not good!! Personally, I regard people by the way they treat others and not how they worship. I just don't push my religion on others and don't want theirs pushed on me. Your responses have reassured me!
              • david1law@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
                  Dear Karen:

                  I can definitely concur with what the others have shared about their
                  experiences. I grew up Roman Catholic, and now attend a Protestant Christian
                  Church (Christian and Missionary Alliance), and when I went to the LDS Family
                  History Centers, which was quite often (sometimes several times a week), I
                  never had anyone attempt to prosthelytize (convert, etc.) to the Mormon
                  faith. Over time, several of the people who volunteered their time in the
                  Family History Center became friends of mine. There can be a bad apple at
                  any place, in any faith, etc., but don't let one bad apple spoil all of the
                  great ones. I have a great time at the family history centers -- and one of
                  the fellow researchers turned out to have family in same exact village --
                  RICHNAVA in the Spis region -- that I was researching, and we ended up
                  researching many of the names together, and we know that it is just a matter of
                  time before we are able to make a definitely family connection, although I
                  already consider him a cousin. Plus, through my research at the LDS, I've
                  been able to ultimately locate more Slovak relatives of mine, both in the
                  U.S.A. and Slovakia, as well as in Canada and in Britain.

                  May God bless all of the people at the LDS Family History Centers who have
                  helped all of us. I know that I am certainly in a better place in regard
                  to my family history because of the LDS Family History Centers and I
                  certainly appreciate all of their hard work, their efforts, and their kindness in
                  helping me and others.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                  In a message dated 11/7/2011 7:58:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  pegivanyo@... writes:

[...]

                • John
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
                    >>> If anyone has visited one, have you been pressured? <<<

                    NEVER. Not even once!
                  • Elaine
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
                      I echo the comments Kris wrote.

                      Elaine in Austin Texas

                      Sent from my iPhone

                    • lkocik@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
                        Karen
                         I'm a skeptic....very much so.

                          I tried my best to figure out why The Mormons would invest so much time and money and then offer such a valuable genealogical resource for free and on a non-denominational basis.

                         I came away with no answers, but with a deep respect.

                        Besides the films you can rent, most family centers have books, C.D.s and micro fiche, etc..

                         It's also stimulating to be with   like minded people. Even if their not researching the same area, you can learn a lot of research stratigies from other researchers.

                         I would highly recommend a visit.

                        larry

                        I am curious if anyone has visited one of the LDS centers and what their experience was. I have a couple close to me and would really like to view films not available online. Unfortunately, I've kept away because of an experience I had a few years ago. I am a Roman Catholic and have no interest in converting but I have always been fascinated by different religious beliefs. A few years ago I had ordered a book about Mormons off Amazon but it was from an individual seller and not Amazon itself. Within a week, people started showing up at my door. I work evenings so I was not at home but found 3 different notes from members of the LDS church. It was not a random canvas as they had my name. I felt rather violated and that is what has kept me from visiting a FHC. If anyone has visited one, have you been pressured?

                      • deeellessbee
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
                          I have to add my encouragement to go to a FHC! I have been to two of them in my area, more than a few times, and was actually just planning another visit yesterday to order and look at more films. While not all are the same in terms of knowledge, every single volunteer I've met at the centers was extremely helpful and eager to assist. Not one word was ever mentioned about religion - to be honest, I never even considered a religious aspect to the whole experience, and never noticed any religious aspect when there.

                          The services they offer and the assistance they give is a godsend (no pun intended, lol!) to genealogists. I do hope you will consider a visit!

                          Debbie

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <trixielixir@...> wrote:

                          > I am curious if anyone has visited one of the LDS centers and what their experience was. I have a couple close to me and would really like to view films not available online. Unfortunately, I've kept away because of an experience I had a few years ago. I am a Roman Catholic and have no interest in converting but I have always been fascinated by different religious beliefs. A few years ago I had ordered a book about Mormons off Amazon but it was from an individual seller and not Amazon itself. Within a week, people started showing up at my door. I work evenings so I was not at home but found 3 different notes from members of the LDS church. It was not a random canvas as they had my name. I felt rather violated and that is what has kept me from visiting a FHC. If anyone has visited one, have you been pressured?

                        • Nick Holcz
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 7, 2011
                            >They are not supposed to discuss religon with you at FHC. I am
                            >married to a church member and have never had any discussions of
                            >religon started by members at a FHC. Just tell them you are not
                            >interested and want to do genealogical research.

                            Laskavy Prosim

                            Nick
                          • takukuk@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011
                              Karen, they're serious and dedicated people. If you study their religion
                              and beliefs, they can only live together in the afterlife if the SEAL their
                              family and that means researching and confirming even old proven
                              genealogical data. It's that motivation that makes them what they are today and such a
                              great resource for us researchers.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011
                                Hi Karen, Your question about ever being pressured about affiliating with the LDS while at a FHC really gave me a
                                jump-start this morning.  Sleeply, I turned on my computer and opened my e-mail box not expecting it to light up
                                like a Christmas Tree!  "What in the world triggered all this," I wondered.  "[S-R] Family History Centers" and
                                Re: [S-R] Family History Centers" scrolled down the Inbox page item after item after item.  I had not seen this
                                much activity since someone asked how much sharp Cheddar cheese to use in potatoe pirogis.

                                I think it is safe to say you now have the answer to your question.  It appears that you came across an "over-enthusiastic"
                                individual who may have passed your name on to others regarding affiliation with the church.  I will echo what all the
                                others who replied have told you.  Although not a member of the LDS Church, I have used the FHC here in Casper,
                                Wyoming and have never, ever been approached about the LDS Church in any way.  The volunteer librarians include
                                both members of that church and non-members, and I have found them to be a most professional, knowledgeable,
                                helpful and friendly group of people.  Thanks to them and the resources available through the FHC I have found
                                heretofore unknown first cousins and more about my ancestors than I previously knew during the past 70 years!

                                May I suggest that if you have the luxury of more than one FHC in your area visit each to see where best your research
                                needs may be met and where you feel the most comfortable.  And, it could be that each will have something unique to
                                offer from research material (including microfiche and microfilms on hand), to volunteer librarians, to computers with
                                USB ports to download information as opposed to having to hard-print documents.

                                One more thought.  I have been told that the staff at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City are as knowledgeable,
                                helpful and friendly as the ones here in Casper (hard to believe but too many friends say it is true).  If you have a chance,
                                consider a trip to Salt Lake City for a research-vacation and don't forget to stop-off in Wyoming to see Yellowstone
                                National Park and the Grand Tetons mountains.

                                Happy researching,  Nick

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011

                                  > I think it is safe to say you now have the answer to your question.  It appears that you came across an "over-enthusiastic"
                                  > individual who may have passed your name on to others regarding affiliation with the church.

                                  Indeed I do and thank you all for your responses. I've been a solitary researcher and honestly wasn't even aware that these centers existed until I stumbled upon the films a few months ago. Then I spent hours and hours (and hours and hours!) learning more about my family than I thought possible. I don't know if there's much more available about them in Gajary but one line of my family simply appears in the village in the 1860's and I could certainly use advice on how to figure out where they moved from. I also have one great grandfather from Poland and his village is not available online. Of the two centers in my area, one is open two weekdays and the other three so now I just have to rearrange my schedule a bit but I'd like to try out both. Thanks again everyone!
                                • johnqadam
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011
                                    >>> learning more about my family than I thought possible. I don't know if there's much more available about them in Gajary but one line of my family simply appears in the village in the 1860's <<<

                                    Gajary RC church records are available online. No need to go to the LDS Family History Center.

                                    LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Gajary, Malacky, Slovakia; formerly Gajary, Malacky, Slovakia; and Gajár, Pozsony, Hungary.
                                    https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/collection/1554443/waypoints
                                  • Peg's Gmail
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011
                                      There are, however, books and other materials available at the FHL that are not yet on line. Depending on the area, and I'm not familiar with Gajary, there may be items of interest--census records, tax lists, films on nobility, etc. All but the books, and even then some of those are microfilmed, would be available on film or fiche through a local center.
                                      Peg

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011
                                        >>> one line of my family simply appears in the village in the 1860's and I could certainly use advice on how to figure out where they moved from. <<<

                                        What surname?
                                      • Karen
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011

                                          > What surname?

                                          Chmela. My great great grandfather Floriano married a local girl and had children in Gajary but was not born there. Several other Chmelas appear at the same time and are possibly siblings but I have no proof of that. I've been entering them on Ancestry in hopes of finding one of their descendants who could have more info on their origins but nothing yet. Based on age at marriage, Floriano was born around 1838 but I have nothing on him until he married Maria Kosz in 1863.
                                        • John
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011
                                            >>> Based on age at marriage, Floriano was born around 1838 but I have nothing on him until he married Maria Kosz in 1863.<<<

                                            There is an online index of marriages and this marriage can be seen there. The reference is as follows:
                                            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-515703-32?cc=1554443&wc=12760915

                                            Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910 Roman Catholic Malacky Gajary Marriage index (Zoznam manželstiev) 1832-1918 (Inv. č. 819) page 17/117

                                            Even better, the actual marriage record is on film #813 page 42/91, item #19. He was 24 and she was 19. Residence was #170. There is no suggestion of place of birth.

                                            Birth records are also available.

                                            Good luck.
                                          • John
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 8, 2011
                                              >>> I have nothing on him until he married Maria Kosz in 1863.<<<

                                              Malacky/Gajary Film #806, page 287/311

                                              Mari[a] Kosz born 9 Jan 1844
                                              Father Istvan Kosz
                                              Mother Ersebet Hrdlovits
                                            • John
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 9, 2011
                                                I checked Malacky and Male Levare for Chmela. No luck. The online film for Velke Levare is mis-filed somewhere.

                                                Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Veľké Leváre, Malacky, Slovakia; formerly Velké Leváre, Malacky, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia; and Nagy-Lévárd, Pozsony, Hungary.

                                                Inv. c. 2588 Krsty 1801-1852
                                                VAULT INTL Film 2441943 Item 2

                                                Perhaps some smarter than me can locate it.
                                              • Richard Ganofsky
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 9, 2011
                                                  Hello Karen,
                                                  I live in Cleveland, Ohio and I believe my cousin Dave Baloga
                                                  also touched base on this topic.

                                                  I can personally say for myself I have always had a very enjoyable working with
                                                  the LDS Center that both Dave and I attend.

                                                  I have researched my family there for about 10 years or more and I was never
                                                  approached by a member in regards to join the church.

                                                  All the staff have always been curtious and professional and eager to assist
                                                  me, and the other patrons.

                                                  My wife who helps me with my genealogy is fascinated with all types of religion,
                                                  and has even had very polite and informational conversations with on duty staff
                                                  members.

                                                  During any one discussion that she had they never attemped to recruit her or my
                                                  self for the mormon faith.

                                                  The most they ever did was offer us a book of Mormon to learn more about them (
                                                  which we took and read ).

                                                  I would hope that perhaps one day soon visit your local LDS library as it and
                                                  the patrons there will open many new doors for your searches.

                                                  Best of luck to you in your ongoing genealogical endeavors

                                                  Kindest regards,
                                                  Rich

                                                  PS - my 1 question for you is what is the big deal with your landlord should you
                                                  deside to visit?

                                                  Your business is your's and not his

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 10, 2011
                                                    >>> The online film for Velke Levare is mis-filed somewhere.

                                                    Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Velké Leváre, Malacky, Slovakia; formerly Velké Leváre, Malacky, Slovakia; and Nagy-Lévárd, Pozsony, Hungary.

                                                    Inv. c. 2588 Krsty 1801-1852
                                                    VAULT INTL Film 2441943 Item 2 <<<

                                                    Thanks for contacting FamilySearch about our Slovakia, Church Records collection and the missing records for Velké Leváre, Malacky, Slovakia.

                                                    On 10/28/2011 FamilySearch reloaded the Sloavia collection after a rework. This reloading caused multiple sets of records to not be reloaded. The engineers are still in the process of returning all the records to this collection. Please continue to check. We will report this finding to the engineers so that they can insure the return of these records.
                                                  • Zoe Chandik
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 10, 2011
                                                      Karen, It is quite obvious to me why they came to your door. You ordered a book about Mormons. They presumed you were interested in becoming a Mormon. I've been going to the mormon Library and family history centers for 20 years . I have never been visited by them. Go to the family history centers and to the Mormon Library in Salt Lake City, they won't accost you. Zoe
                                                      On Nov 7, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Bob Pollak wrote:

                                                      > I have used the FHC in both Tucson and in Lubbock and have never had anyone from the Mormon Church come to my home. About once a week I visit the local FHC to view films and no one has ever approached me about becoming a member of the church or try to influence me in any way. It must have been a local thing that you experienced.
                                                      >
                                                      > Bob Pollak

                                                    • patskanovo
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 11, 2011
                                                        "Laskavy Prosim"
                                                        I miss Skeeter...
                                                        Dennis

                                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

                                                        > >They are not supposed to discuss religon with you at FHC. I am
                                                        > >married to a church member and have never had any discussions of
                                                        > >religon started by members at a FHC. Just tell them you are not
                                                        > >interested and want to do genealogical research.
                                                        >
                                                        > Laskavy Prosim
                                                        >
                                                        > Nick

                                                      • Marge Friel
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 5, 2011
                                                          Zoe,
                                                          All you have to do is request your name be removed and they will comply.

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Dec 5, 2011
                                                            >dear moderator, surely we are not going to go through this stuff again.

                                                            Laskavy Prosim

                                                            Nick