Re: [S-R] Nas~y Krajane (Our countrymen)

  • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
      Great translation! A little more input:

      >Z radost'om s~a oni do spolu schodili (They walked together with pleasure?)
      >bo jeden druhomu robotu radili (and gave advice to each other?)

      It might be:
      They came together and formed a society/union ("spol" like "spolok"? or
      maybe it's a typo for "do spolku"?), and recommended work for each other.

      >a na nas~u cerkov lem nezabyvajme (even though we no longer live nearby)

      "nezabyvajme" might be a typo for "nezabuvajme" -
      "and let's never forget our church"

      Joe Armata
    • nbenyo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
        Joe

        Thanks. I think you and Janko improved the translation. Maybe I'll check back
        with the author to clarify what they meant. - Nick

        << Great translation! A little more input:

        >Z radost'om s~a oni do spolu schodili (They walked together with pleasure?)
        >bo jeden druhomu robotu radili (and gave advice to each other?)

        It might be:
        They came together and formed a society/union ("spol" like "spolok"? or
        maybe it's a typo for "do spolku"?), and recommended work for each other.

        >a na nas~u cerkov lem nezabyvajme (even though we no longer live nearby)

        "nezabyvajme" might be a typo for "nezabuvajme" -
        "and let's never forget our church"

      • Richard D. Custer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
          >>a na nas~u cerkov lem nezabyvajme (even though we no longer live nearby)
          >
          >"nezabyvajme" might be a typo for "nezabuvajme" -
          >"and let's never forget our church"
          >

          >Joe Armata

          It is not incorrect. It is proper Rusyn language for "let us not forget."
          Zabyvaty = to forget (perfective aspect). Zabyty = to forget (imperfective
          aspect).

          RDC