Re: Parchovany (Parno) records

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
      Sam,
      There are actually three films covering the church records for Parchovany. The first two films cover the years of 1791 to 1881 and they are now on line. The third film covers the years of 1881 to 1895 but unfortunately this film also has some records for the 1920s. Consequently, privacy laws prevent this film from being shown. You will have to rent this film at your local Family History Center if you want to review it. Many of us face this same situation with our own church records.
      CK

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Mag" <sammag30@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I was informed that this last Friday the records from Parchovany went online to view. The records I have to start with are in the late 1880's and once I looked around a while I realized that the records seem to end at 1880?
      > I am curious if anyone else has an interest in Parchovany or any input they would share with me on the subject.
      > Thank you, Sam

    • John
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
        >>> the records from Parchovany went online to view. The records I have to start with are in the late 1880's and once I looked around a while I realized that the records seem to end at 1880? <<<

        I looked up the films in the old index and was surprised on a number of fronts.

        1) Yes, (all but one) films are online on the new web site. However, there is no longer a big red announcement to that effect on the old web site.

        2) Formerly, the films posted on the beta site had received a new 3 or 4 digit reference number. No such number appears for Parchovany films.

        3) When you go to view the online films, there is no reference to film numbers or to the film that has not been authorized for viewing online.

        4) I went back to the old web site to look up Dubravka and found the old methodology still there -- red banner and secondary film numbers. The secondary film numbers still appear on the new site.

        I guess that the LDS programmers are not using the old film numbers for the newly digitized information. One wonders when/if LDS will take down the old site at some point.
      • Sam Mag
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
          I spoke to a person at Family Research and got the same information.  100 years is the cutoff privacy date for Slovakia.  The films can still be ordered as mentioned and viewed in its entirety if you have the daylight hours to spare viewing them which I happen not to have but we will see what happens.  Thank you folks for your responses.

          ________________________________
          >>> the records from Parchovany went online to view. The records I have to start with are in the late 1880's and once I looked around a while I realized that the records seem to end at 1880? <<<

          I looked up the films in the old index and was surprised on a number of fronts.

          1) Yes, (all but one) films are online on the new web site. However, there is no longer a big red announcement to that effect on the old web site.

          2) Formerly, the films posted on the beta site had received a new 3 or 4 digit reference number. No such number appears for Parchovany films.

          3) When you go to view the online films, there is no reference to film numbers or to the film that has not been authorized for viewing online.

          4) I went back to the old web site to look up Dubravka and found the old methodology still there -- red banner and secondary film numbers. The secondary film numbers still appear on the new site.

          I guess that the LDS programmers are not using the old film numbers for the newly digitized information. One wonders when/if LDS will take down the old site at some point.

        • Carl Svensson
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
            Hi Sam,

            I am relatively new to the group and genealogy too.

            I too am very interested in Parchovany (Kurisko and related families) and
            was hoping that someone would mention when these records became

            available, Thank you.. Hopefully someone can give us some insight as to
            where the rest of the records are; I suspect that someone here will.

            I do want to thank the moderators, and their predecessors, for maintaining
            such a wonderful site. And, of course, the many members of the group

            who share so much of their knowledge with folks like me.

            Thanks.

            Carl Svensson

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
              >>> was hoping that someone would mention when these records became
              available, Thank you.. Hopefully someone can give us some insight as to where the rest of the records are; I suspect that someone here will.<<<

              Start here https://www.familysearch.org/ and keep on clicking.

              The old LDS catalogue reference is at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
            • Sam Mag
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2011
                Hello Carl,
                Here is exactly what the person from Family Research told me "I've just now gotten a reply from CM. It appears that if there is even one image that goes beyond a legal cutoff date (Privacy issues and such, and for Slovakia, this is 100 years from the time of any event), the entire film (on the Internet with images, it would mean about 900 images associated with those few images, in other words, the whole film, or the whole folder) gets deleted from the system. They will possibly come online later, but for Slovakia, this is a problem, since there are lots of films where there are birmovaní or konvertiti (confirmations, convert lists) in particular, which go well into the 1900's.

                This is not a problem with the films, however, which can be ordered through Family History Centers, either in the US or Europe. If you are in an area that doesn't have an FHC, it is possible to set up public libraries sometimes, which act as FHCs. For example, CM knows of a library in Australia that this happened to. This is what I'd do if I were you. You can get the whole film, and thus images much later than the current cutoff date for Slovakia of 1910."

                Hope that clears it up better. I hope you find what you are looking for. There are lots of pages to look through for Parchovany but only till 1890-1891. Also you can try looking up Greek Catholic records for Parchovany by clicking Greek Catholic then Trebisov then Dvorianky. Again the problem is these records only go to 1820 or so. Good Luck!