Re: [S-R] Magyar - szlovak - német - latin szótár

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
      @CurtB
      The OED is available online for free: http://oxforddictionaries.com/
      I do have academic access to journals and periodicals and I'll try there-
      thanks for the suggestion.
      I've decided to purchase (through a friend) the Magyar Szotar by Tibor
      Bartos (2002) as well as a standard desk dictionary.
      That should do it.

      Peter

    • Ladislav Rosival
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
        A litle off topic - whats wrong with the translation of Orsolya?
        It is either a name - in Slovak Uršula in english Ursula.
        Or it is a "occupation" - a member of the women order Ursulines. In this
        case the translation into Slovak is "uršulínka" (ursulinka without diacritic
        marks).

        Both translations are correct in the book.

        Ladislav

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
          THANKS! None of my Magyar friends could translate that except as a name.
          Wikipedia had no reference to that except for St. Ursula, and my mother
          thought it had to do with textile manufacturing. Eventually I came to the
          conclusion that it was placed in the wrong list.

          So the Ursulines are an order of Nuns, but it is a very specific term for a
          specific order. I would think they should have used the word "apáca" which
          is generic and more appropriate for a list of employment.

          Peter

        • Ladislav Rosival
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
            I thing that the Ursulines were a quite common order in Hungary.

            There is also a occupation jesuit, bences = member of benedictiner order,
            etc.

            On other hand for a Catholic churchbook the word nun is to generic and
            therefore they used a word, which included also the name of the order.

            Ladislav