Re: [S-R] Familysearch.org

  • John
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 2, 2011
      Which RELIGION?

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, María Eugenia Kromholc <mariuk@...> wrote:

      > Hi, everybody,
      >
      > I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
      > Garamolaszka (Valaská) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
      > under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this new
      > update of Banská Bystrica?
      >
      > Thanks a lot!!!
      >
      > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
      > <pman40@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on
      > > October 28th to include:
      > >
      > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
      > > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well
      > > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov,
      > > Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other
      > > archives will be added."
      > >
      > > Happy Hunting,
      > > Sandra

      > --
      > *María Eugenia Kromholc*

    • John
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 2, 2011
        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Valaská (aka. Walaszka, Walaszká), Slovakia; formerly Valaszka (a.k.a. Olaszka, Garamolaszka), Zólyom, Hungary. Includes indexes.

        There are about 15 films, which you need to ORDER and research at an LDS Family History Center. Get more info at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 3, 2011
          Hi, John, my grandmother was from the evangelical reformed church.

          Thanks a lot for your help!

          On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Which RELIGION?
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc <mariuk@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, everybody,
          > >
          > > I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
          > > Garamolaszka (Valask��) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
          >
          > > under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this
          > new
          > > update of Bansk�� Bystrica?
          >

          > > Thanks a lot!!!
          > >
          > > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
          > > <pman40@...>wrote:
          > >
          > > > **
          >

          > > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record
          > collection on
          > > > October 28th to include:
          > > >
          > > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
          > > > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as
          > well
          > > > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in
          > Pre��ov,
          > > > Byt� a, Ko��ice, Levo� a, Bansk�� Bystrica and Bratislava. Records
          > from other
          >
          > > > archives will be added."
          > > >
          > > > Happy Hunting,
          > > > Sandra

          > > --
          > > *Mar��a Eugenia Kromholc*

          *Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc*

        • John
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 3, 2011
            >>> my grandmother was from the evangelical reformed church. <<<

            On FILM ONLY, at this time, LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Brezno, Slovakia, formerly Breznóbánya, Zólyom, Hungary. Includes its surrounding area.

            Good luck.
          • patskanovo
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
              Thanks so much Bonnie !

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Burke" <bonnie@...> wrote:

              > The Carpatho-Rusyn Society has a great picture of our Eastern European
              > ancestors with "cowboy hats" in Argentina. I have an uncle who went there
              > for work and a letter from him in Buenos Aires that my aunt shared with me.
              > Unfortunately, he did not offer any information other than I will need to
              > tell you the story sometime! I do not think he stayed long.
              >

              > I had the opportunity to go to Buenos Aires a couple of years ago. The first
              > thing I did was go to the immigration museum. Pictures and percentages
              > showed the immigration of many
              > eastern European peoples. Since I am Rusyn, I went looking for Orthodox or
              > Byzantine churches since the culture and the religion are so closely tied. I
              > found an Orthodox church in Buenos Aires and went there for a service. I
              > felt like I was in time travel. All the woman covered their heads with a
              > scarf. I had slacks on and was given a skirt to wear. It was during the
              > Orthodox Easter season and church Slavonic was being sung for many of the
              > hymns. Some hymns in Spanish. You can imagine how I felt when I heard
              > Christos Voskrese in Argentina. There were no pews and after the services
              > there was a memorial service for the deceased with every one holding a
              > candle. Yes, our ancestors are still there. I was not permitted to take
              > pictures in the church. The church was filled with children. And yes, the
              > church service lasted a long time.
              >

              > The unfortunate thing was that most people we met in the church and in
              > Buenos Aires spoke only Spanish wish is pretty amazing for such a big city.
              > I have tried e-mailing the pastor a couple of times and have not been able
              > to break through to get more information. I think I will try again now that
              > the topic has come up again. Maybe he has learned some English.
              >

              > I also went on a day trip to Uruguay. It is a short boat ride away. It is a
              > very quaint town with a colonial flare.
              >

              > Bonnie

            • Ron and Luanne Angelo Family
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
                Bonnie,
                Something you might try is a translation website like
                www.freetranslation.com. This was just the first that popped up doing a
                google search. You simply type in what you would say in English, choose
                your translation language (in this case Spanish...but they also have
                Czech and several other languages), click "Translate" and it shows you
                what the Spanish words would be. You could then copy and paste it into a
                word document to print out and mail. This might enable you to contact
                this pastor in his own language to get you the information you are
                looking for.
                Luanne

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Burke" <bonnie@...> wrote:

                >> The unfortunate thing was that most people we met in the church and in
                >> Buenos Aires spoke only Spanish wish is pretty amazing for such a big city.
                >> I have tried e-mailing the pastor a couple of times and have not been able
                >> to break through to get more information. I think I will try again now that
                >> the topic has come up again. Maybe he has learned some English.

              • Bonnie Burke
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
                  Thanks Luanne for the suggestion. Worth a try.