Re: [S-R] Magyar - szlovak - német - latin szótár

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
      Thanks Micheal, Not that sort. I mean an actual online dictionary that has
      word meanings, not translations of words into another language. For English
      it would be the Oxford English Dictionary, but I need it in Hungarian and
      hopefully Slovak as well. Every time I look, all I can find are translators
      and not real dictionaries :(

      Peter

      2011/11/3 Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>

      > http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/
      > http://szotar.sztaki.hu/index.jhtml

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
        Peter,
        Just like the Oxford English Dictionary, or the Encyclopedia Britannica are not publicly online free, neither is the standard Hungarian great dictionary, or scholarly journal articles. All materials published after 1920's are under copyright and are only available online to paid subscribers, which are mostly college and university libraries and a few big public libraries. Individual subscriptions are available if you are willing to pay the whopping costs yourself. If you have online membership to a college or university library you often can get access from your desktop that way.

        The standard Hungarian dictionary is:
        A Magyar nyelv értelmezõ szótára / [szerkesztette a Magyar Tudományos Akadémia Nyelvtudományi Intézete ; [Bárczi Géza, Országh László vezetésével szerkesztették Balázs János ... et al.]
        Imprint: Budapest : Akadémiai Kiadó, 1986-1992. 7 volumes.

        Curt B.

        > Thanks Micheal, Not that sort. I mean an actual online dictionary that has
        > word meanings, not translations of words into another language. For English
        > it would be the Oxford English Dictionary, but I need it in Hungarian and
        > hopefully Slovak as well. Every time I look, all I can find are translators
        > and not real dictionaries :(
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > 2011/11/3 Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>
        >
        > > http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/
        > > http://szotar.sztaki.hu/index.jhtml

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
          http://download.cnet.com/AW-English-Hungarian-Dictionary/3000-18495_4-22053.html

          This allows you to try an English-Hungarian downloadable dictionary. If you like it you can buy it for $20.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
            @CurtB
            The OED is available online for free: http://oxforddictionaries.com/
            I do have academic access to journals and periodicals and I'll try there-
            thanks for the suggestion.
            I've decided to purchase (through a friend) the Magyar Szotar by Tibor
            Bartos (2002) as well as a standard desk dictionary.
            That should do it.

          • Ladislav Rosival
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
              A litle off topic - whats wrong with the translation of Orsolya?
              It is either a name - in Slovak Uršula in english Ursula.
              Or it is a "occupation" - a member of the women order Ursulines. In this
              case the translation into Slovak is "uršulínka" (ursulinka without diacritic
              marks).

              Both translations are correct in the book.

              Ladislav

            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                THANKS! None of my Magyar friends could translate that except as a name.
                Wikipedia had no reference to that except for St. Ursula, and my mother
                thought it had to do with textile manufacturing. Eventually I came to the
                conclusion that it was placed in the wrong list.

                So the Ursulines are an order of Nuns, but it is a very specific term for a
                specific order. I would think they should have used the word "apáca" which
                is generic and more appropriate for a list of employment.

                Peter

              • Ladislav Rosival
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                  I thing that the Ursulines were a quite common order in Hungary.

                  There is also a occupation jesuit, bences = member of benedictiner order,
                  etc.

                  On other hand for a Catholic churchbook the word nun is to generic and
                  therefore they used a word, which included also the name of the order.

                  Ladislav