Re: [S-R] Magyar - szlovak - német - latin szó tár

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
      http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/
      http://szotar.sztaki.hu/index.jhtml

      -----Original Message-----
      From: htcstech
      Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:34 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Magyar - szlovak - német - latin szótár

      Hello Jerry,

      A great resource - another one for the genealogist's utility belt.
      It's interesting to see the different types of occupation listed.
      One that struck me was Orsolya, which translates as Ursula - as in Saint
      Ursula - which is incorrect for this usage.

      Does anybody know of an online Magyar szótár (dictionary)?
      While I'm at it, A Slovak dictionary? I'm happy for both to be in their
      respective mother tongues.
      They don't seem to be available.

      Thanks

      Peter

      2011/11/2 jdkocis <jdkocis@...>

      > **
      >

      > Hungarian - Slovak - German - Latin dictionary
      >
      > Yesterday this link was posted to an Hungarian genealogy list to which I
      > subscribe. I found it to be a wonderful tool. The text of the message
      > follows:
      >
      > "Hi all,
      >
      > recently the following dictionary came to light:
      >
      > http://www.vkjb.sk/File/anyakonyvvezetokszotara.PDF
      >
      > Was published in 1923 in Slovakia, to help the church registrars use the
      > proper words when they fill in the books. Since it lists the words in four
      > languages - Hungarian, Slovak, German and Latin - for each of us
      > genealogists can be quite useful too.
      >
      > Joe"
      >
      > I hope that you find this book as potentially helpful as I have.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Jerry

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
        Thanks Micheal, Not that sort. I mean an actual online dictionary that has
        word meanings, not translations of words into another language. For English
        it would be the Oxford English Dictionary, but I need it in Hungarian and
        hopefully Slovak as well. Every time I look, all I can find are translators
        and not real dictionaries :(

        Peter

        2011/11/3 Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>

        > http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/
        > http://szotar.sztaki.hu/index.jhtml

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
          Peter,
          Just like the Oxford English Dictionary, or the Encyclopedia Britannica are not publicly online free, neither is the standard Hungarian great dictionary, or scholarly journal articles. All materials published after 1920's are under copyright and are only available online to paid subscribers, which are mostly college and university libraries and a few big public libraries. Individual subscriptions are available if you are willing to pay the whopping costs yourself. If you have online membership to a college or university library you often can get access from your desktop that way.

          The standard Hungarian dictionary is:
          A Magyar nyelv értelmezõ szótára / [szerkesztette a Magyar Tudományos Akadémia Nyelvtudományi Intézete ; [Bárczi Géza, Országh László vezetésével szerkesztették Balázs János ... et al.]
          Imprint: Budapest : Akadémiai Kiadó, 1986-1992. 7 volumes.

          Curt B.

          > Thanks Micheal, Not that sort. I mean an actual online dictionary that has
          > word meanings, not translations of words into another language. For English
          > it would be the Oxford English Dictionary, but I need it in Hungarian and
          > hopefully Slovak as well. Every time I look, all I can find are translators
          > and not real dictionaries :(
          >
          > Peter
          >
          > 2011/11/3 Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>
          >
          > > http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/
          > > http://szotar.sztaki.hu/index.jhtml

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
            http://download.cnet.com/AW-English-Hungarian-Dictionary/3000-18495_4-22053.html

            This allows you to try an English-Hungarian downloadable dictionary. If you like it you can buy it for $20.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
              @CurtB
              The OED is available online for free: http://oxforddictionaries.com/
              I do have academic access to journals and periodicals and I'll try there-
              thanks for the suggestion.
              I've decided to purchase (through a friend) the Magyar Szotar by Tibor
              Bartos (2002) as well as a standard desk dictionary.
              That should do it.

            • Ladislav Rosival
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                A litle off topic - whats wrong with the translation of Orsolya?
                It is either a name - in Slovak Uršula in english Ursula.
                Or it is a "occupation" - a member of the women order Ursulines. In this
                case the translation into Slovak is "uršulínka" (ursulinka without diacritic
                marks).

                Both translations are correct in the book.

                Ladislav

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                  THANKS! None of my Magyar friends could translate that except as a name.
                  Wikipedia had no reference to that except for St. Ursula, and my mother
                  thought it had to do with textile manufacturing. Eventually I came to the
                  conclusion that it was placed in the wrong list.

                  So the Ursulines are an order of Nuns, but it is a very specific term for a
                  specific order. I would think they should have used the word "apáca" which
                  is generic and more appropriate for a list of employment.

                  Peter

                • Ladislav Rosival
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                    I thing that the Ursulines were a quite common order in Hungary.

                    There is also a occupation jesuit, bences = member of benedictiner order,
                    etc.

                    On other hand for a Catholic churchbook the word nun is to generic and
                    therefore they used a word, which included also the name of the order.

                    Ladislav