Magyar - szlovak - német - latin szótár

  • jdkocis
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
      Hungarian - Slovak - German - Latin dictionary

      Yesterday this link was posted to an Hungarian genealogy list to which I subscribe. I found it to be a wonderful tool. The text of the message follows:

      "Hi all,

      recently the following dictionary came to light:

      http://www.vkjb.sk/File/anyakonyvvezetokszotara.PDF

      Was published in 1923 in Slovakia, to help the church registrars use the proper words when they fill in the books. Since it lists the words in four languages - Hungarian, Slovak, German and Latin - for each of us genealogists can be quite useful too.

      Joe"

      I hope that you find this book as potentially helpful as I have.

      Regards,

      Jerry
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
        Hello Jerry,

        A great resource - another one for the genealogist's utility belt.
        It's interesting to see the different types of occupation listed.
        One that struck me was Orsolya, which translates as Ursula - as in Saint
        Ursula - which is incorrect for this usage.

        Does anybody know of an online Magyar sz�t�r (dictionary)?
        While I'm at it, A Slovak dictionary? I'm happy for both to be in their
        respective mother tongues.
        They don't seem to be available.

        Thanks

        Peter

        2011/11/2 jdkocis <jdkocis@...>

        > **
        >

        > Hungarian - Slovak - German - Latin dictionary
        >
        > Yesterday this link was posted to an Hungarian genealogy list to which I
        > subscribe. I found it to be a wonderful tool. The text of the message
        > follows:
        >
        > "Hi all,
        >
        > recently the following dictionary came to light:
        >
        > http://www.vkjb.sk/File/anyakonyvvezetokszotara.PDF
        >
        > Was published in 1923 in Slovakia, to help the church registrars use the
        > proper words when they fill in the books. Since it lists the words in four
        > languages - Hungarian, Slovak, German and Latin - for each of us
        > genealogists can be quite useful too.
        >
        > Joe"
        >
        > I hope that you find this book as potentially helpful as I have.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Jerry

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
          http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/
          http://szotar.sztaki.hu/index.jhtml

          A great resource - another one for the genealogist's utility belt.
          It's interesting to see the different types of occupation listed.
          One that struck me was Orsolya, which translates as Ursula - as in Saint
          Ursula - which is incorrect for this usage.

          Does anybody know of an online Magyar szótár (dictionary)?

          2011/11/2 jdkocis <jdkocis@...>

          > **
          >

          > Hungarian - Slovak - German - Latin dictionary
          >
          > Yesterday this link was posted to an Hungarian genealogy list to which I
          > subscribe. I found it to be a wonderful tool. The text of the message
          > follows:
          >
          > "Hi all,
          >
          > recently the following dictionary came to light:
          >
          > http://www.vkjb.sk/File/anyakonyvvezetokszotara.PDF
          >
          > Was published in 1923 in Slovakia, to help the church registrars use the
          > proper words when they fill in the books. Since it lists the words in four
          > languages - Hungarian, Slovak, German and Latin - for each of us
          > genealogists can be quite useful too.
          >
          > Joe"
          >
          > I hope that you find this book as potentially helpful as I have.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Jerry

        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
            Thanks Micheal, Not that sort. I mean an actual online dictionary that has
            word meanings, not translations of words into another language. For English
            it would be the Oxford English Dictionary, but I need it in Hungarian and
            hopefully Slovak as well. Every time I look, all I can find are translators
            and not real dictionaries :(

            Peter

            2011/11/3 Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>

            > http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/
            > http://szotar.sztaki.hu/index.jhtml

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
              Peter,
              Just like the Oxford English Dictionary, or the Encyclopedia Britannica are not publicly online free, neither is the standard Hungarian great dictionary, or scholarly journal articles. All materials published after 1920's are under copyright and are only available online to paid subscribers, which are mostly college and university libraries and a few big public libraries. Individual subscriptions are available if you are willing to pay the whopping costs yourself. If you have online membership to a college or university library you often can get access from your desktop that way.

              The standard Hungarian dictionary is:
              A Magyar nyelv értelmezõ szótára / [szerkesztette a Magyar Tudományos Akadémia Nyelvtudományi Intézete ; [Bárczi Géza, Országh László vezetésével szerkesztették Balázs János ... et al.]
              Imprint: Budapest : Akadémiai Kiadó, 1986-1992. 7 volumes.

              Curt B.

              > Thanks Micheal, Not that sort. I mean an actual online dictionary that has
              > word meanings, not translations of words into another language. For English
              > it would be the Oxford English Dictionary, but I need it in Hungarian and
              > hopefully Slovak as well. Every time I look, all I can find are translators
              > and not real dictionaries :(
              >
              > Peter
              >
              > 2011/11/3 Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>
              >
              > > http://www.magyarangolszotar.com/
              > > http://szotar.sztaki.hu/index.jhtml

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
                http://download.cnet.com/AW-English-Hungarian-Dictionary/3000-18495_4-22053.html

                This allows you to try an English-Hungarian downloadable dictionary. If you like it you can buy it for $20.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                  @CurtB
                  The OED is available online for free: http://oxforddictionaries.com/
                  I do have academic access to journals and periodicals and I'll try there-
                  thanks for the suggestion.
                  I've decided to purchase (through a friend) the Magyar Szotar by Tibor
                  Bartos (2002) as well as a standard desk dictionary.
                  That should do it.

                • Ladislav Rosival
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                    A litle off topic - whats wrong with the translation of Orsolya?
                    It is either a name - in Slovak Uršula in english Ursula.
                    Or it is a "occupation" - a member of the women order Ursulines. In this
                    case the translation into Slovak is "uršulínka" (ursulinka without diacritic
                    marks).

                    Both translations are correct in the book.

                    Ladislav

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                      THANKS! None of my Magyar friends could translate that except as a name.
                      Wikipedia had no reference to that except for St. Ursula, and my mother
                      thought it had to do with textile manufacturing. Eventually I came to the
                      conclusion that it was placed in the wrong list.

                      So the Ursulines are an order of Nuns, but it is a very specific term for a
                      specific order. I would think they should have used the word "apáca" which
                      is generic and more appropriate for a list of employment.

                      Peter

                    • Ladislav Rosival
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2011
                        I thing that the Ursulines were a quite common order in Hungary.

                        There is also a occupation jesuit, bences = member of benedictiner order,
                        etc.

                        On other hand for a Catholic churchbook the word nun is to generic and
                        therefore they used a word, which included also the name of the order.

                        Ladislav