Emigrate, immigrate

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
      Frank Plichta wrote:

      >Michele,

      >Don't you mean "emigrate".

      >Emigrate means to move to another country.

      >Immigrate means to move from a country.

      >If you know the ancestral village, then you know the country from
      which the
      >person immigrated.

      >Frank

      >"Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

      Frank,

      Not quite correct. "Emigrate" means to move from (Latin "e" or "ex")
      and "immigrate" means to move into (from Latin
      "in" or "im").

      Bill Brna
    • Frank R Plichta
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
        According to Funk & Wagnalls Standard College Dictionary:

        Emigrate: "To move from one country to another country."

        Immigrate: "To come into a country or region of which one is not a native."

        Frank

        _____

        >Emigrate means to move to another country.

        >Immigrate means to move from a country.

        >If you know the ancestral village, then you know the country from
        which the
        >person immigrated.

        >Frank

        >"Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

        Frank,

        Not quite correct. "Emigrate" means to move from (Latin "e" or "ex")
        and "immigrate" means to move into (from Latin
        "in" or "im").

        Bill Brna

      • Tom Kukuk
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011