RE: [S-R] Emigration to Uruguay

  • Michele Baker
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
      Related but somewhat off topic . sometime back I
      came across website, unfortunately don't recall
      which one - someone else may recall -- where you
      input ancestral village, and it shows country of
      immigration. Interesting to see where we may
      find ancestors other than U.S.

      Michele

      _____

      From: Bonnie Burke <bonnie@...
      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
        Michele,

        Don't you mean "emigrate".

        Emigrate means to move to another country.

        Immigrate means to move from a country.

        If you know the ancestral village, then you know the country from which the
        person immigrated.

        Frank

        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

        _____

        ________________________________
        From: Bonnie Burke <bonnie@...

        From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
          Sorry, meant to say . "know the country to which
          immigrated."

          thanks

          _____

          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          From: Bonnie Burke <bonnie@...
          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
            Nick,

            Thank you for a very good suggestion.

[...]

          • María Eugenia Kromholc
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 2, 2011
              Hi, everybody,

              I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
              Garamolaszka (Valaská) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
              under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this new
              update of Banská Bystrica?

              Thanks a lot!!!

              On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
              <pman40@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on
              > October 28th to include:
              >
              > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
              > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well
              > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov,
              > Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other
              > archives will be added."
              >
              > Happy Hunting,
              > Sandra

              *María Eugenia Kromholc*

            • John
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 2, 2011
                Which RELIGION?

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, María Eugenia Kromholc <mariuk@...> wrote:

                > Hi, everybody,
                >
                > I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
                > Garamolaszka (Valaská) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
                > under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this new
                > update of Banská Bystrica?
                >
                > Thanks a lot!!!
                >
                > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
                > <pman40@...>wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on
                > > October 28th to include:
                > >
                > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                > > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well
                > > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov,
                > > Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other
                > > archives will be added."
                > >
                > > Happy Hunting,
                > > Sandra

                > --
                > *María Eugenia Kromholc*

              • John
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 2, 2011
                  LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Valaská (aka. Walaszka, Walaszká), Slovakia; formerly Valaszka (a.k.a. Olaszka, Garamolaszka), Zólyom, Hungary. Includes indexes.

                  There are about 15 films, which you need to ORDER and research at an LDS Family History Center. Get more info at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 3, 2011
                    Hi, John, my grandmother was from the evangelical reformed church.

                    Thanks a lot for your help!

                    On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Which RELIGION?
                    >

                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc <mariuk@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi, everybody,
                    > >
                    > > I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
                    > > Garamolaszka (Valask��) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
                    >
                    > > under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this
                    > new
                    > > update of Bansk�� Bystrica?
                    >

                    > > Thanks a lot!!!
                    > >
                    > > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
                    > > <pman40@...>wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > **
                    >

                    > > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record
                    > collection on
                    > > > October 28th to include:
                    > > >
                    > > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                    > > > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as
                    > well
                    > > > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in
                    > Pre��ov,
                    > > > Byt� a, Ko��ice, Levo� a, Bansk�� Bystrica and Bratislava. Records
                    > from other
                    >
                    > > > archives will be added."
                    > > >
                    > > > Happy Hunting,
                    > > > Sandra

                    > > --
                    > > *Mar��a Eugenia Kromholc*

                    *Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc*

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 3, 2011
                      >>> my grandmother was from the evangelical reformed church. <<<

                      On FILM ONLY, at this time, LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Brezno, Slovakia, formerly Breznóbánya, Zólyom, Hungary. Includes its surrounding area.

                      Good luck.
                    • patskanovo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
                        Thanks so much Bonnie !

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Burke" <bonnie@...> wrote:

                        > The Carpatho-Rusyn Society has a great picture of our Eastern European
                        > ancestors with "cowboy hats" in Argentina. I have an uncle who went there
                        > for work and a letter from him in Buenos Aires that my aunt shared with me.
                        > Unfortunately, he did not offer any information other than I will need to
                        > tell you the story sometime! I do not think he stayed long.
                        >

                        > I had the opportunity to go to Buenos Aires a couple of years ago. The first
                        > thing I did was go to the immigration museum. Pictures and percentages
                        > showed the immigration of many
                        > eastern European peoples. Since I am Rusyn, I went looking for Orthodox or
                        > Byzantine churches since the culture and the religion are so closely tied. I
                        > found an Orthodox church in Buenos Aires and went there for a service. I
                        > felt like I was in time travel. All the woman covered their heads with a
                        > scarf. I had slacks on and was given a skirt to wear. It was during the
                        > Orthodox Easter season and church Slavonic was being sung for many of the
                        > hymns. Some hymns in Spanish. You can imagine how I felt when I heard
                        > Christos Voskrese in Argentina. There were no pews and after the services
                        > there was a memorial service for the deceased with every one holding a
                        > candle. Yes, our ancestors are still there. I was not permitted to take
                        > pictures in the church. The church was filled with children. And yes, the
                        > church service lasted a long time.
                        >

                        > The unfortunate thing was that most people we met in the church and in
                        > Buenos Aires spoke only Spanish wish is pretty amazing for such a big city.
                        > I have tried e-mailing the pastor a couple of times and have not been able
                        > to break through to get more information. I think I will try again now that
                        > the topic has come up again. Maybe he has learned some English.
                        >

                        > I also went on a day trip to Uruguay. It is a short boat ride away. It is a
                        > very quaint town with a colonial flare.
                        >

                        > Bonnie

                      • Ron and Luanne Angelo Family
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
                          Bonnie,
                          Something you might try is a translation website like
                          www.freetranslation.com. This was just the first that popped up doing a
                          google search. You simply type in what you would say in English, choose
                          your translation language (in this case Spanish...but they also have
                          Czech and several other languages), click "Translate" and it shows you
                          what the Spanish words would be. You could then copy and paste it into a
                          word document to print out and mail. This might enable you to contact
                          this pastor in his own language to get you the information you are
                          looking for.
                          Luanne

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
                            Thanks Luanne for the suggestion. Worth a try.