RE: [S-R] Emigration to Uruguay

  • Bonnie Burke
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2011
      The Carpatho-Rusyn Society has a great picture of our Eastern European
      ancestors with "cowboy hats" in Argentina. I have an uncle who went there
      for work and a letter from him in Buenos Aires that my aunt shared with me.
      Unfortunately, he did not offer any information other than I will need to
      tell you the story sometime! I do not think he stayed long.

      I had the opportunity to go to Buenos Aires a couple of years ago. The first
      thing I did was go to the immigration museum. Pictures and percentages
      showed the immigration of many
      eastern European peoples. Since I am Rusyn, I went looking for Orthodox or
      Byzantine churches since the culture and the religion are so closely tied. I
      found an Orthodox church in Buenos Aires and went there for a service. I
      felt like I was in time travel. All the woman covered their heads with a
      scarf. I had slacks on and was given a skirt to wear. It was during the
      Orthodox Easter season and church Slavonic was being sung for many of the
      hymns. Some hymns in Spanish. You can imagine how I felt when I heard
      Christos Voskrese in Argentina. There were no pews and after the services
      there was a memorial service for the deceased with every one holding a
      candle. Yes, our ancestors are still there. I was not permitted to take
      pictures in the church. The church was filled with children. And yes, the
      church service lasted a long time.

      The unfortunate thing was that most people we met in the church and in
      Buenos Aires spoke only Spanish wish is pretty amazing for such a big city.
      I have tried e-mailing the pastor a couple of times and have not been able
      to break through to get more information. I think I will try again now that
      the topic has come up again. Maybe he has learned some English.

      I also went on a day trip to Uruguay. It is a short boat ride away. It is a
      very quaint town with a colonial flare.

      Bonnie

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
        Hi Bonnie,
        Thank you for sharing your experiences in Buenos Aires.  You may have already thought of or tried
        this, but rather than wait for the priest to learn more English why not compose your e-mail and
        then run it through one of the free English-to-Spanish translation program on the web before
        sending it to him.  Of course that means he may reply in Spanish, but all you would have to do
        is reverse the process.  I have traveled to many foreign countries and found that the inhabitants
        appreciate it when an American makes an effort to speak their language; they are usually very
        forgiving of grammar and pronunciation and the gesture quite often results in an extra effort on
        their part to assist with ones request.
        Thank you again for sharing your experiences.  Nick Kerpchar

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
          Amen, amen amen, about learning Slovak, or Spanish, or other language. I wrote to one man in Slovakia with my grandma's surname (in my broken Slovak) and he gave it to his daughter to respond to me in her broken English. Yes, we need to try and meet them halfway.
          Tom

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
            Related but somewhat off topic . sometime back I
            came across website, unfortunately don't recall
            which one - someone else may recall -- where you
            input ancestral village, and it shows country of
            immigration. Interesting to see where we may
            find ancestors other than U.S.

            Michele

            _____

            From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
[...]

            removed]

            removed]

            removed]

          • Frank R Plichta
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
              Michele,

              Don't you mean "emigrate".

              Emigrate means to move to another country.

              Immigrate means to move from a country.

              If you know the ancestral village, then you know the country from which the
              person immigrated.

              Frank

              "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

              _____

              From: Bonnie Burke <bonnie@...

              From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
                Sorry, meant to say . "know the country to which
                immigrated."

                thanks

                _____

                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                From: Bonnie Burke <bonnie@...
                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2011
                  Nick,

                  Thank you for a very good suggestion.

[...]

                • María Eugenia Kromholc
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 2, 2011
                    Hi, everybody,

                    I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
                    Garamolaszka (Valaská) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
                    under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this new
                    update of Banská Bystrica?

                    Thanks a lot!!!

                    On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
                    <pman40@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on
                    > October 28th to include:
                    >
                    > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                    > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well
                    > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov,
                    > Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other
                    > archives will be added."
                    >
                    > Happy Hunting,
                    > Sandra

                    *María Eugenia Kromholc*

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 2, 2011
                      Which RELIGION?

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, María Eugenia Kromholc <mariuk@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, everybody,
                      >
                      > I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
                      > Garamolaszka (Valaská) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
                      > under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this new
                      > update of Banská Bystrica?
                      >
                      > Thanks a lot!!!
                      >
                      > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
                      > <pman40@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on
                      > > October 28th to include:
                      > >
                      > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                      > > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well
                      > > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov,
                      > > Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other
                      > > archives will be added."
                      > >
                      > > Happy Hunting,
                      > > Sandra

                      > --
                      > *María Eugenia Kromholc*

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 2, 2011
                        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Valaská (aka. Walaszka, Walaszká), Slovakia; formerly Valaszka (a.k.a. Olaszka, Garamolaszka), Zólyom, Hungary. Includes indexes.

                        There are about 15 films, which you need to ORDER and research at an LDS Family History Center. Get more info at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 3, 2011
                          Hi, John, my grandmother was from the evangelical reformed church.

                          Thanks a lot for your help!

                          On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Which RELIGION?
                          >

                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc <mariuk@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi, everybody,
                          > >
                          > > I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
                          > > Garamolaszka (Valask��) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
                          >
                          > > under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this
                          > new
                          > > update of Bansk�� Bystrica?
                          >

                          > > Thanks a lot!!!
                          > >
                          > > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
                          > > <pman40@...>wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > **
                          >

                          > > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record
                          > collection on
                          > > > October 28th to include:
                          > > >
                          > > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                          > > > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as
                          > well
                          > > > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in
                          > Pre��ov,
                          > > > Byt� a, Ko��ice, Levo� a, Bansk�� Bystrica and Bratislava. Records
                          > from other
                          >
                          > > > archives will be added."
                          > > >
                          > > > Happy Hunting,
                          > > > Sandra

                          > > --
                          > > *Mar��a Eugenia Kromholc*

                          *Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc*

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 3, 2011
                            >>> my grandmother was from the evangelical reformed church. <<<

                            On FILM ONLY, at this time, LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Brezno, Slovakia, formerly Breznóbánya, Zólyom, Hungary. Includes its surrounding area.

                            Good luck.
                          • patskanovo
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
                              Thanks so much Bonnie !

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Burke" <bonnie@...> wrote:

                              > The Carpatho-Rusyn Society has a great picture of our Eastern European
                              > ancestors with "cowboy hats" in Argentina. I have an uncle who went there
                              > for work and a letter from him in Buenos Aires that my aunt shared with me.
                              > Unfortunately, he did not offer any information other than I will need to
                              > tell you the story sometime! I do not think he stayed long.
                              >

                              > I had the opportunity to go to Buenos Aires a couple of years ago. The first
                              > thing I did was go to the immigration museum. Pictures and percentages
                              > showed the immigration of many
                              > eastern European peoples. Since I am Rusyn, I went looking for Orthodox or
                              > Byzantine churches since the culture and the religion are so closely tied. I
                              > found an Orthodox church in Buenos Aires and went there for a service. I
                              > felt like I was in time travel. All the woman covered their heads with a
                              > scarf. I had slacks on and was given a skirt to wear. It was during the
                              > Orthodox Easter season and church Slavonic was being sung for many of the
                              > hymns. Some hymns in Spanish. You can imagine how I felt when I heard
                              > Christos Voskrese in Argentina. There were no pews and after the services
                              > there was a memorial service for the deceased with every one holding a
                              > candle. Yes, our ancestors are still there. I was not permitted to take
                              > pictures in the church. The church was filled with children. And yes, the
                              > church service lasted a long time.
                              >

                              > The unfortunate thing was that most people we met in the church and in
                              > Buenos Aires spoke only Spanish wish is pretty amazing for such a big city.
                              > I have tried e-mailing the pastor a couple of times and have not been able
                              > to break through to get more information. I think I will try again now that
                              > the topic has come up again. Maybe he has learned some English.
                              >

                              > I also went on a day trip to Uruguay. It is a short boat ride away. It is a
                              > very quaint town with a colonial flare.
                              >

                              > Bonnie

                            • Ron and Luanne Angelo Family
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
                                Bonnie,
                                Something you might try is a translation website like
                                www.freetranslation.com. This was just the first that popped up doing a
                                google search. You simply type in what you would say in English, choose
                                your translation language (in this case Spanish...but they also have
                                Czech and several other languages), click "Translate" and it shows you
                                what the Spanish words would be. You could then copy and paste it into a
                                word document to print out and mail. This might enable you to contact
                                this pastor in his own language to get you the information you are
                                looking for.
                                Luanne

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 4, 2011
                                  Thanks Luanne for the suggestion. Worth a try.