Re: Village birth records - after microfilms

  • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 1999
      I spoke the priest in my family's village and was told that the
      Communist gov't moved all the records out of the village churches in the
      1950's. This is why the Matrika was established. (maybe the only good
      thing the communists did).

      It is also possible that the records may have been destroyed; i.e. fire,
      flood, war...

      I have been to the Okresni Archive in Nizny Sebastiova, outside of
      Presov on the highway to Kapusany. I found most of the records I was
      looking for a village in Zemplin and 2 others in Saris.

      I did look at the actually record books and not micro-film/fische. There
      were books missing from my villages also.

      Happy hunting!