Re: Life in Slovakia in the 19th century

  • tom geiss
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2011
      Dear Bob Pollak,
      Your name matches something?? My grandmother Amalia Gurko came to this country , in 1889 (with an aunt) (to visit someone)? Who, I do not know? The aunt broke a leg and could not return immediately, so my grandma got a job, and eventually married here.
      They came from Iglo (today's Spisska Nova Ves)
      Now, I have a ship manifest (of THE TRAVE) that lists an AMALIA GURKO ,age 17 (she was 16). And two people before her TLANA?? POLLAK (not sure of the name), age 25.
      They are both listed as American citizens?? , which further complicates matters?
      I am not certain if this is indeed my grandmother, since a cousin swears that she came on the KAISER WILHELM??

      I am trying to learn which aunt she came with; and who they were coming to visit.?
      Tom

    • Bob Pollak
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2011
        Tom,

        I don’t know if the POLLAK that you wrote about was male or female. Based on the date of the ship arrival and the age of the Pollak person, I guess that the person was born about 1864. The closest POLLAK relative I have is a Veronica Pollak born 1863 in Hlincik but lived in Spisska Nova Ves. Her father was Martin Pollak, my ggrandfather’s brother. Martin was born and married in Spisska Nova Ves. After Martin’s marriage, he had 3 children born in Spisska Nova Ves, the next two were born in Hlincik and the last 2 were born in Spisska Nova Ves. If you can find the first name of the person, I may be able to help you. The POLLAK family came from Spisske Podhradie in about 1800. They were of the Evangelical faith. Martin’s father married a Roman Catholic women and the family became Catholic after 1836.