Emigration to Uruguay

  • patskanovo
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 30, 2011
      This may be a new one as I have searched the groups postings and come up empty.

      I have discovered a relation (Vasil Pilat)born in Remeniny, Slovakia in 1876 emigrated or at least visited Montvideo,Urugauy.

      I am curious as to the work which attracted Eastern Europeans there and if anyone else here may have touched upon South American immigration.

      There does not seem to be much available on-line.

      Regards,
      Dennis

      http://www.hotel432.server4you.de/passagierlisten/listen.php?ArchivIdent=AIII15-21.01.1928_M&pass=Sabol&abreisehafen=Bremen&ankunftshafen=Montevideo,%20Uruguay&ID=281542&lang=en
    • John
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 30, 2011
        >>> I am curious as to the work which attracted Eastern Europeans there and if anyone else here may have touched upon South American immigration.<<<

        In my line, I have one who got lost in Argentina. I wrote to every instance of the surname but received no replies. A dead end.
      • patskanovo
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 30, 2011
          Now,now John....there are no dead ends just mysteries waiting to be solved.

          > In my line, I have one who got lost in Argentina. I wrote to every instance of the surname but received no replies. A dead end.

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 30, 2011
            Dennis,
            It is online, but in Spanish.

            Toward the end of the ninetenth century when immigration was high in the U.S., Argentina and Uruguay [which was once part of Argentina] promoted immigration by building interior railways and giving away large amounts of interior agricultural lands which were largely devoid of native indian populations. Huge numbers of Italians, Ukrainians, Slovaks, Croatians, Eastern European Jews, and Welshmen, [as well as the British and Germans who were city dwellers and business emigrees], emigrated there and founded interior villages and cultivated surrounding farmlands. A few villages in the far south still speak Welsh today. Almost half of Argentines have a grandparent from one or more of these groups. Like in the U.S., within one generation people assimilated into the local Spanish speaking culture quickly.

            We have had at least two inquiries on this board from Argentine Slovaks that I can recall, who had other relatives that came to the U.S.

            Curt B.

            Curt B.

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 31, 2011
              Curt,

              Could you provide a link please...even in Spanish I have found little on the subject.

              Dennis

              > Dennis,
              > It is online, but in Spanish.
              >
              > Toward the end of the ninetenth century when immigration was high in the U.S., Argentina and Uruguay [which was once part of Argentina] promoted immigration by building interior railways and giving away large amounts of interior agricultural lands which were largely devoid of native indian populations. Huge numbers of Italians, Ukrainians, Slovaks, Croatians, Eastern European Jews, and Welshmen, [as well as the British and Germans who were city dwellers and business emigrees], emigrated there and founded interior villages and cultivated surrounding farmlands. A few villages in the far south still speak Welsh today. Almost half of Argentines have a grandparent from one or more of these groups. Like in the U.S., within one generation people assimilated into the local Spanish speaking culture quickly.
              >
              > We have had at least two inquiries on this board from Argentine Slovaks that I can recall, who had other relatives that came to the U.S.
              >
              > Curt B.
              >
              > Curt B.
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
              > >
              > > This may be a new one as I have searched the groups postings and come up empty.
              > >
              > > I have discovered a relation (Vasil Pilat)born in Remeniny, Slovakia in 1876 emigrated or at least visited Montvideo,Urugauy.
              > >
              > > I am curious as to the work which attracted Eastern Europeans there and if anyone else here may have touched upon South American immigration.
              > >
              > > There does not seem to be much available on-line.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Dennis
              > >
              > > http://www.hotel432.server4you.de/passagierlisten/listen.php?ArchivIdent=AIII15-21.01.1928_M&pass=Sabol&abreisehafen=Bremen&ankunftshafen=Montevideo,%20Uruguay&ID=281542&lang=en

            • Sandra & John Panzitta
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 31, 2011
                Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on October 28th to include:

                "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov, Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other archives will be added."

                Happy Hunting,
                Sandra

              • patskanovo
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 31, 2011
                  Also FYI it seems to be in total disarray...my villages (as usual)are lost.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Sandra & John Panzitta <pman40@...> wrote:

                  > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on October 28th to include:
                  >
                  > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov, Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other archives will be added."
                  >
                  > Happy Hunting,
                  > Sandra

                • htcstech
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 31, 2011
                    I'm glad that the Bratislava records are back.
                    And they are in disarray. One 'book' was over 700 pages because it included
                    a book from a completely different town :(

                    Peter

                    On 31 October 2011 23:11, patskanovo <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Also FYI it seems to be in total disarray...my villages (as usual)are lost.
                    >

                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Sandra & John Panzitta <pman40@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection
                    > on October 28th to include:
                    > >
                    > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                    > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well
                    > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in
                    > Pre��ov, Byt� a, Ko��ice, Levo� a, Bansk�� Bystrica and Bratislava. Records
                    > from other archives will be added."
                    >

                    > > Happy Hunting,
                    > > Sandra

                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Dennis,
                      The best literature is only in books, but a good place to start online if you read Spanish is:

                      http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inmigraci%C3%B3n_en_Argentina

                      Curt B.

                      > Curt,
                      >
                      > Could you provide a link please...even in Spanish I have found little on the subject.
                      >
                      > Dennis
                      >
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dennis,
                      > > It is online, but in Spanish.
                      > >
                      > > Toward the end of the ninetenth century when immigration was high in the U.S., Argentina and Uruguay [which was once part of Argentina] promoted immigration by building interior railways and giving away large amounts of interior agricultural lands which were largely devoid of native indian populations. Huge numbers of Italians, Ukrainians, Slovaks, Croatians, Eastern European Jews, and Welshmen, [as well as the British and Germans who were city dwellers and business emigrees], emigrated there and founded interior villages and cultivated surrounding farmlands. A few villages in the far south still speak Welsh today. Almost half of Argentines have a grandparent from one or more of these groups. Like in the U.S., within one generation people assimilated into the local Spanish speaking culture quickly.
                      > >
                      > > We have had at least two inquiries on this board from Argentine Slovaks that I can recall, who had other relatives that came to the U.S.
                      > >
                      > > Curt B.
                      > >
                      > > Curt B.
                      > >
                      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > This may be a new one as I have searched the groups postings and come up empty.
                      > > >
                      > > > I have discovered a relation (Vasil Pilat)born in Remeniny, Slovakia in 1876 emigrated or at least visited Montvideo,Urugauy.
                      > > >
                      > > > I am curious as to the work which attracted Eastern Europeans there and if anyone else here may have touched upon South American immigration.
                      > > >
                      > > > There does not seem to be much available on-line.
                      > > >
                      > > > Regards,
                      > > > Dennis
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.hotel432.server4you.de/passagierlisten/listen.php?ArchivIdent=AIII15-21.01.1928_M&pass=Sabol&abreisehafen=Bremen&ankunftshafen=Montevideo,%20Uruguay&ID=281542&lang=en

                    • Bonnie Burke
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 31, 2011
                        The Carpatho-Rusyn Society has a great picture of our Eastern European
                        ancestors with "cowboy hats" in Argentina. I have an uncle who went there
                        for work and a letter from him in Buenos Aires that my aunt shared with me.
                        Unfortunately, he did not offer any information other than I will need to
                        tell you the story sometime! I do not think he stayed long.

                        I had the opportunity to go to Buenos Aires a couple of years ago. The first
                        thing I did was go to the immigration museum. Pictures and percentages
                        showed the immigration of many
                        eastern European peoples. Since I am Rusyn, I went looking for Orthodox or
                        Byzantine churches since the culture and the religion are so closely tied. I
                        found an Orthodox church in Buenos Aires and went there for a service. I
                        felt like I was in time travel. All the woman covered their heads with a
                        scarf. I had slacks on and was given a skirt to wear. It was during the
                        Orthodox Easter season and church Slavonic was being sung for many of the
                        hymns. Some hymns in Spanish. You can imagine how I felt when I heard
                        Christos Voskrese in Argentina. There were no pews and after the services
                        there was a memorial service for the deceased with every one holding a
                        candle. Yes, our ancestors are still there. I was not permitted to take
                        pictures in the church. The church was filled with children. And yes, the
                        church service lasted a long time.

                        The unfortunate thing was that most people we met in the church and in
                        Buenos Aires spoke only Spanish wish is pretty amazing for such a big city.
                        I have tried e-mailing the pastor a couple of times and have not been able
                        to break through to get more information. I think I will try again now that
                        the topic has come up again. Maybe he has learned some English.

                        I also went on a day trip to Uruguay. It is a short boat ride away. It is a
                        very quaint town with a colonial flare.

                        Bonnie

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 1 9:15 AM
                          Hi Bonnie,
                          Thank you for sharing your experiences in Buenos Aires.  You may have already thought of or tried
                          this, but rather than wait for the priest to learn more English why not compose your e-mail and
                          then run it through one of the free English-to-Spanish translation program on the web before
                          sending it to him.  Of course that means he may reply in Spanish, but all you would have to do
                          is reverse the process.  I have traveled to many foreign countries and found that the inhabitants
                          appreciate it when an American makes an effort to speak their language; they are usually very
                          forgiving of grammar and pronunciation and the gesture quite often results in an extra effort on
                          their part to assist with ones request.
                          Thank you again for sharing your experiences.  Nick Kerpchar

                          ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 1 10:24 AM
                              Related but somewhat off topic . sometime back I
                              came across website, unfortunately don't recall
                              which one - someone else may recall -- where you
                              input ancestral village, and it shows country of
                              immigration. Interesting to see where we may
                              find ancestors other than U.S.

                              Michele

                              _____

                              From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
[...]

                              removed]

                              removed]

                              removed]

                            • Frank R Plichta
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 1 11:24 AM
                                Michele,

                                Don't you mean "emigrate".

                                Emigrate means to move to another country.

                                Immigrate means to move from a country.

                                If you know the ancestral village, then you know the country from which the
                                person immigrated.

                                Frank

                                "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                                _____

                                From: Bonnie Burke <bonnie@...

                                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 1 1:32 PM
                                  Sorry, meant to say . "know the country to which
                                  immigrated."

                                  thanks

                                  _____

                                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: Bonnie Burke <bonnie@...
                                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 1 5:27 PM
                                    Nick,

                                    Thank you for a very good suggestion.

[...]

                                  • María Eugenia Kromholc
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 2 12:53 PM
                                      Hi, everybody,

                                      I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
                                      Garamolaszka (Valaská) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
                                      under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this new
                                      update of Banská Bystrica?

                                      Thanks a lot!!!

                                      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
                                      <pman40@...>wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >

                                      > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on
                                      > October 28th to include:
                                      >
                                      > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                                      > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well
                                      > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov,
                                      > Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other
                                      > archives will be added."
                                      >
                                      > Happy Hunting,
                                      > Sandra

                                      *María Eugenia Kromholc*

                                    • John
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 2 2:54 PM
                                        Which RELIGION?

                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, María Eugenia Kromholc <mariuk@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi, everybody,
                                        >
                                        > I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
                                        > Garamolaszka (Valaská) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
                                        > under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this new
                                        > update of Banská Bystrica?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks a lot!!!
                                        >
                                        > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
                                        > <pman40@...>wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > **
                                        > >

                                        > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record collection on
                                        > > October 28th to include:
                                        > >
                                        > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                                        > > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well
                                        > > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in Prešov,
                                        > > Bytča, Košice, Levoča, Banská Bystrica and Bratislava. Records from other
                                        > > archives will be added."
                                        > >
                                        > > Happy Hunting,
                                        > > Sandra

                                        > --
                                        > *María Eugenia Kromholc*

                                      • John
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 2 2:58 PM
                                          LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Valaská (aka. Walaszka, Walaszká), Slovakia; formerly Valaszka (a.k.a. Olaszka, Garamolaszka), Zólyom, Hungary. Includes indexes.

                                          There are about 15 films, which you need to ORDER and research at an LDS Family History Center. Get more info at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 3 11:12 AM
                                            Hi, John, my grandmother was from the evangelical reformed church.

                                            Thanks a lot for your help!

                                            On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                                            > **
                                            >

                                            > Which RELIGION?
                                            >

                                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc <mariuk@...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hi, everybody,
                                            > >
                                            > > I really need your help in this one: where should the images of
                                            > > Garamolaszka (Valask��) be? I really do not know where to look them up,
                                            >
                                            > > under which name, county, etc... Do you know if they added them on this
                                            > new
                                            > > update of Bansk�� Bystrica?
                                            >

                                            > > Thanks a lot!!!
                                            > >
                                            > > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Sandra & John Panzitta
                                            > > <pman40@...>wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > > **
                                            >

                                            > > > Just an FYI : Familysearch.org has updated its Slovak record
                                            > collection on
                                            > > > October 28th to include:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > "Images of baptisms/births, marriages, and burials that occurred in the
                                            > > > Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as
                                            > well
                                            > > > Jewish congregations in Slovakia. Includes records from archives in
                                            > Pre��ov,
                                            > > > Byt� a, Ko��ice, Levo� a, Bansk�� Bystrica and Bratislava. Records
                                            > from other
                                            >
                                            > > > archives will be added."
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Happy Hunting,
                                            > > > Sandra

                                            > > --
                                            > > *Mar��a Eugenia Kromholc*

                                            *Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc*

                                          • John
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 3 12:46 PM
                                              >>> my grandmother was from the evangelical reformed church. <<<

                                              On FILM ONLY, at this time, LDS has Evangelical Church parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Brezno, Slovakia, formerly Breznóbánya, Zólyom, Hungary. Includes its surrounding area.

                                              Good luck.
                                            • patskanovo
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 4 4:04 AM
                                                Thanks so much Bonnie !

                                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Burke" <bonnie@...> wrote:

                                                > The Carpatho-Rusyn Society has a great picture of our Eastern European
                                                > ancestors with "cowboy hats" in Argentina. I have an uncle who went there
                                                > for work and a letter from him in Buenos Aires that my aunt shared with me.
                                                > Unfortunately, he did not offer any information other than I will need to
                                                > tell you the story sometime! I do not think he stayed long.
                                                >

                                                > I had the opportunity to go to Buenos Aires a couple of years ago. The first
                                                > thing I did was go to the immigration museum. Pictures and percentages
                                                > showed the immigration of many
                                                > eastern European peoples. Since I am Rusyn, I went looking for Orthodox or
                                                > Byzantine churches since the culture and the religion are so closely tied. I
                                                > found an Orthodox church in Buenos Aires and went there for a service. I
                                                > felt like I was in time travel. All the woman covered their heads with a
                                                > scarf. I had slacks on and was given a skirt to wear. It was during the
                                                > Orthodox Easter season and church Slavonic was being sung for many of the
                                                > hymns. Some hymns in Spanish. You can imagine how I felt when I heard
                                                > Christos Voskrese in Argentina. There were no pews and after the services
                                                > there was a memorial service for the deceased with every one holding a
                                                > candle. Yes, our ancestors are still there. I was not permitted to take
                                                > pictures in the church. The church was filled with children. And yes, the
                                                > church service lasted a long time.
                                                >

                                                > The unfortunate thing was that most people we met in the church and in
                                                > Buenos Aires spoke only Spanish wish is pretty amazing for such a big city.
                                                > I have tried e-mailing the pastor a couple of times and have not been able
                                                > to break through to get more information. I think I will try again now that
                                                > the topic has come up again. Maybe he has learned some English.
                                                >

                                                > I also went on a day trip to Uruguay. It is a short boat ride away. It is a
                                                > very quaint town with a colonial flare.
                                                >

                                                > Bonnie

                                              • Ron and Luanne Angelo Family
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 4 7:13 AM
                                                  Bonnie,
                                                  Something you might try is a translation website like
                                                  www.freetranslation.com. This was just the first that popped up doing a
                                                  google search. You simply type in what you would say in English, choose
                                                  your translation language (in this case Spanish...but they also have
                                                  Czech and several other languages), click "Translate" and it shows you
                                                  what the Spanish words would be. You could then copy and paste it into a
                                                  word document to print out and mail. This might enable you to contact
                                                  this pastor in his own language to get you the information you are
                                                  looking for.
                                                  Luanne

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 4 5:18 PM
                                                    Thanks Luanne for the suggestion. Worth a try.