Nas~y Krajane (Our countrymen)

  • nbenyo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2001
      A few months ago, St Nicholas Orthodox church in lower Manhattan ("Alphabet
      City") celebrated its 75th anniversary. Founded primarily by Carpatho-Rusyn
      immigrants from Jarembina, Litmanova and Kamjunka (north of Stara Lubovna in
      the former Spis county), it is indeed an exceptional case - a Slavic church
      still thriving in an inner city neighborhood. In honor of the occasion, Mrs.
      Justina Chobor wrote the following song which was sung by the parishioners at
      the banquet. Please excuse my awkward translation in parentheses.

      Nas~y Krajane (Our Countrymen)

      Jak na Ellis Island ony vystupili (when they arrived at Ellis Island)
      barz velike mjisto pred sobom vidili (they saw a very large city before them)

      Nebolo jim lehko z~yti zac~ynati (it wasn''t easy to start a life)
      jazyka neznali, robotu nemali (they didn't know the language or have a job)

      Jak uz~ sobi trocha centyv zarobili (when they earned a few cents)
      ta najpers~e sobi chram Boz~yj kupili (they first of all bought a temple of
      God)

      Z~eby s~a de mali Bohu pomodliti (so that they had a place to pray to God)
      po t'as~kyj roboti, tis~ poveseliti (after working hard, and after partying
      as well)

      Z radost'om s~a oni do spolu schodili (They walked together with pleasure?)
      bo jeden druhomu robotu radili (and gave advice to each other?)

      Jak s~a lips~e mali ta zas pomahali (when they improved their lot, they
      helped...)
      bo dals~u rodinu z kraju tu tahali (and brought more relatives here from the
      homeland)

      Hneska s~a tis~yme ze tu cerkov mame (today we are pleased we have this
      church)
      i krasnyj jubilej my tu oslavjame (and are celebrating this beautiful jubilee)

      A teraz molods~y lips~e s~a uz~ majut (and now that the young ones have it
      better)
      zato nas~u cerkov furt lem okras~ajut (they are always beautifying our church)

      Trimajme s~a spolu, spolu rozmys~lajme (We are holding together, we are
      thinking together)
      a na nas~u cerkov lem nezabyvajme (even though we no longer live nearby)

      Z~eby tota cerkov dovho nam stojala (that this church will stand for us
      longer)
      a dals~ym krajanam furt za domu byla (and will always be a home for our
      countrymen)

      Nick
    • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
        Great translation! A little more input:

        >Z radost'om s~a oni do spolu schodili (They walked together with pleasure?)
        >bo jeden druhomu robotu radili (and gave advice to each other?)

        It might be:
        They came together and formed a society/union ("spol" like "spolok"? or
        maybe it's a typo for "do spolku"?), and recommended work for each other.

        >a na nas~u cerkov lem nezabyvajme (even though we no longer live nearby)

        "nezabyvajme" might be a typo for "nezabuvajme" -
        "and let's never forget our church"

        Joe Armata
      • nbenyo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
          Joe

          Thanks. I think you and Janko improved the translation. Maybe I'll check back
          with the author to clarify what they meant. - Nick

          << Great translation! A little more input:

          >Z radost'om s~a oni do spolu schodili (They walked together with pleasure?)
          >bo jeden druhomu robotu radili (and gave advice to each other?)

          It might be:
          They came together and formed a society/union ("spol" like "spolok"? or
          maybe it's a typo for "do spolku"?), and recommended work for each other.

          >a na nas~u cerkov lem nezabyvajme (even though we no longer live nearby)

          "nezabyvajme" might be a typo for "nezabuvajme" -
          "and let's never forget our church"

        • Richard D. Custer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
            >>a na nas~u cerkov lem nezabyvajme (even though we no longer live nearby)
            >
            >"nezabyvajme" might be a typo for "nezabuvajme" -
            >"and let's never forget our church"
            >

            >Joe Armata

            It is not incorrect. It is proper Rusyn language for "let us not forget."
            Zabyvaty = to forget (perfective aspect). Zabyty = to forget (imperfective
            aspect).

            RDC