Re: Re: Kings College in PA hosting 'Rusyns & Slovaks: Similarities & Di

  • Gina
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 27, 2011
      Thanks Carl for passing along the links.

      Interested people can also visit the national C-RS website at
      http://c-rs.org/ to find many informational CD's and DVD's available for
      purchase, as well a a lot of free information.

      Michael (and anyone in the Chicago area and mid-west US), can also check
      out: http://lakemichiganrusyns.blogspot.com/
      This is the independent page for the Lake Michigan Chapter of the C-RS, and
      they hold events in Chicago and in the Chicago area. If you are interested
      in becoming a member of the C-RS, you can get the application at the
      national website. Members receive a very informational quarterly newsletter
      and becoming involved with a specific Chapter normally requires no
      additional dues.

      Gina

    • Bob Pollak
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2011
        Is anyone aware of a book about family life in Slovakia in the 18th and 19th centuries? I am interested in reading about the daily life of the families during this time period.
        I have been researching the Solivar films on-line and see several years when there were 3 or 4 deaths each day of adults and children from Cholera.
        Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

        Bob Pollak

      • John
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2011
          >>> Is anyone aware of a book about family life in Slovakia in the 18th and 19th centuries? I am interested in reading about the daily life of the families during this time period. <<<

          There is an absolutely excellent book about the Rusyn US-immigrant
          experience. It's an autobiography of Joseph Grisak, 1873-1950, born
          in Slovinky, (today's Slovakia). It goes into great depth describing
          day to day living. An absolutely precious glimpse into the past.
          It has been scanned and is available at

          http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf
          Be forewarned. It is 352 Kb and 98 pages in length. You will need
          Acrobat reader.
        • Bob Pollak
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2011
            John,

            Thank you for the URL of the book. I downloaded it and started reading it. The book is exactly what I was looking for, giving a look at the daily life of the peasants. I have visited the villages of my Slovak grandparents a few times and always wondered what life was like in the villages while they lived there.
            Thanks again,

            Bob Pollak

            >>> Is anyone aware of a book about family life in Slovakia in the 18th and 19th centuries? I am interested in reading about the daily life of the families during this time period. <<<

            There is an absolutely excellent book about the Rusyn US-immigrant
            experience. It's an autobiography of Joseph Grisak, 1873-1950, born
            in Slovinky, (today's Slovakia). It goes into great depth describing
            day to day living. An absolutely precious glimpse into the past.
            It has been scanned and is available at

            http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf
            Be forewarned. It is 352 Kb and 98 pages in length. You will need
            Acrobat reader.

          • Nick Kerpchar
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2011
              Hi John,
              I am going to echo Bob Pollak's comments.  This is exactly some of the background information I need to
              complete a narrative to a DVD movie I am making of my paternal family history.  And, you cannot beat
              the price!  Your contribution has again shown what a resource treasure the members of this forum are.
              Thank you, Nick Kerpchar

              ________________________________
              Thank you for the URL of the book. I downloaded it and started reading it. The book is exactly what I was looking for, giving a look at the daily life of the peasants. I have visited the villages of my Slovak grandparents a few times and always wondered what life was like in the villages while they lived there.
              Thanks again,

              Bob Pollak

              >>> Is anyone aware of a book about family life in Slovakia in the 18th and 19th centuries? I am interested in reading about the daily life of the families during this time period. <<<

              There is an absolutely excellent book about the Rusyn US-immigrant
              experience. It's an autobiography of Joseph Grisak, 1873-1950, born
              in Slovinky, (today's Slovakia). It goes into great depth describing
              day to day living. An absolutely precious glimpse into the past.
              It has been scanned and is available at

              http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf
              Be forewarned. It is 352 Kb and 98 pages in length. You will need
              Acrobat reader.

            • martha.andras
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2011
                Hi,

                I am not able to download the book and I do have the latest Adobe reader. Any suggestions?

                Martha

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Pollak" <rjp011@...> wrote:

                > John,
                >
                > Thank you for the URL of the book. I downloaded it and started reading it. The book is exactly what I was looking for, giving a look at the daily life of the peasants. I have visited the villages of my Slovak grandparents a few times and always wondered what life was like in the villages while they lived there.
                > Thanks again,
                >
                > Bob Pollak

              • Bob Pollak
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2011
                  If you double click on the URL it should bring up the Acrobat file. Run your mouse toward the bottom of the page and it should then display a toolbar with options. The options show up at the bottom of the page. One of the options is to print and another one is for saving.

                  Bob Pollak

                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Bob Pollak" <rjp011@...> wrote:

                  > John,
                  >
                  > Thank you for the URL of the book. I downloaded it and started reading it. The book is exactly what I was looking for, giving a look at the daily life of the peasants. I have visited the villages of my Slovak grandparents a few times and always wondered what life was like in the villages while they lived there.
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Bob Pollak

                • James Burns
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2011
                    Try taking the spaces out. That's what I did and it worked.

                    James Burns

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Hi Bob,

                      Here is the most authoritative book I have found.

                      Tradicie slovenskij rodiny. 1997, Authors Botikova, Svecova, Jakubikova.
                      VEDA publisher

                      In Slovak.

                      I have translated a few sections and posted them on my web site.

                      Good luck.

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2011
                        Hi Bill,

                        What is the URL for your website? I am anxious to read what you have translated. My grandparents came from Slovakia and both were born in the 1870s. Both died when I was in my early teens and I knew them well. I wish I had been interested in genealogy at the time. I would love to have sat down with them and ask about life in Slovakia while they lived there. Perhaps that is why I am so curious about life in Slovakia during the 1800’s. I still have a 3rd cousin there and I have visited Slovakia several times. I have a trip scheduled for late March to try and find information about my gggrandmother. There is no record of her birth or her marriage. I will have to keep looking.

                        Bob Pollak

                        Is anyone aware of a book about family life in Slovakia in the 18th and 19th
                        centuries? I am interested in reading about the daily life of the
                        families during this time period.
                        I have been researching the Solivar films on-line and see several years when
                        there were 3 or 4 deaths each day of adults and children from Cholera.
                        Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

                        Bob Pollak

                        mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 31, 2011
                          Hi Bob,
                          My web is www.iabsi.com

                          Go to this page http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/culture.htm
                          Look under the "Social" topic. You will find several related links. The specific item I refer to is "Slovak Family Traditions." I translated sections that I found particularly valuable for genealogy research.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 31, 2011
                            You will find the Grisak piece particularly relevant to your questions.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 31, 2011
                              It's a great read.The Grisak book is relevant to pretty much every one
                              involved in Eastern European studies, whether it be genealogy or otherwise.
                              The Grisak's were Rus and Eastern Catholics, with their Slovak brothers,
                              yet my Slovak ancestors were ethnically Magyar Roman Catholic peasants
                              working for the Grof. They too were grave diggers and 'village watchmen'
                              and had the same spiritual richness in their lives.
                              The parallels are much more than the differences.
                              I guess that this applies to the Morvas, Bohemians, Poles, Silesians,
                              Horvaths and any other ethnicity. What drew them together was the social
                              system. I had heard that there were more words borrowed by the Magyars than
                              borrowed by the Slavs, and this book shows that. The words, cuisine and
                              many every day objects have similar meanings and uses.
                              Highly praised and definitely recommended!

                              Peter