Kings College in PA hosting 'Rusyns & Slovaks: Similarities & Differences'

  • Gina
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
      THE EASTERN PA CHAPTER OF THE C-RS PRESENTS:
      'Rusyns & Slovaks: Similarities and Differences'
      Date: Saturday, November 5, 2011
      Location: Kings College
      Snyder Room, 3rd Floor
      Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center
      133 North River Street
      Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711
      Time: 2:30 - 5:00PM

      The Eastern PA Chapter of the C-RS invites you to enjoy an afternoon
      with John Righetti, National President of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society,
      leading a discussion on the similarities and differences of two nearby
      communities and cultures: Rusyns and Slovaks.

      John's presentation will illustrate what distinguishes Rusyns from the
      neighboring Slovak communities. He will discuss the two ethnic groups'
      history, language, food, dance and other customs that will provide
      participants with a fascinating journey into the identities of Rusyns
      and Slovaks.

      The event is hosted by the History Department of Kings College.
      This event is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be
      served.

      For more information, contact Gina Drosdak-Robertshaw at 570-645-5016 or
      email: Gina.PhilsPhan@...

    • mkoschik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2011
        It's a little too far from Chicago for me to attend, but I'd like to know if
        Mr. (Dr.?) Reghetti has published anything on the subject.  Having grown
        up a Slovak in a predominently Rusyn parish, I'd like to know more about

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2011
          You can listen to John Righetti's talk on You Tube in two parts. Here is the link to part 1:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGi4zMZ9bGQ

          part 2:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJFznfUnzw&NR=1

          CK

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, mkoschik@... wrote:

          > It's a little too far from Chicago for me to attend, but I'd like to know if
          > Mr. (Dr.?) Reghetti has published anything on the subject.  Having grown
          > up a Slovak in a predominently Rusyn parish, I'd like to know more about
          > the similarities and differences.

        • Charlotte Conjelko
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 27, 2011
            Wilkes-Barre is definitely a hike from Chicago but Burr Ridge, IL isn't.  Come celebrate Rusyn New Year at the Lake Michigan Chapter of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society's potluck luncheon featuring many traditional Rusyn foods on Saturday, January 14 at SS. Peter & Paul Orthodox Church in Burr Ridge. We haven't set the time yet but we'll post a notice here as soon as we do.

            You can also check out our blog at www.lakemichiganrusyns.blogspot.com.  Scroll down and you'll find some questions that may help you determine if you have Rusyn roots.

            Charlotte Pribish Conjelko
            Secretary
            Carpatho-Rusyn Society
            Lake Michigan Chaper

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 27, 2011
              A DVD is available on this subject through C-RS. If you go to the website:c-rs.org and the Lake Erie Chapter, they are selling the DVD.

              Bonnie

              Date: Saturday, November 5, 2011
              Location: Kings College
[...]

              email: Gina.PhilsPhan@... <mailto:Gina.PhilsPhan%40gmail.com>

            • Charlotte Conjelko
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2011
                Wilkes-Barre is definitely a hike from Chicago but Burr Ridge, IL
                isn't. You can learn about some of the difference by celebrating Rusyn New Year at the Lake Michigan Chapter of
                the Carpatho-Rusyn Society's potluck luncheon featuring many traditional
                Rusyn foods on Saturday, January 14 at SS. Peter & Paul Orthodox
                Church in Burr Ridge. We haven't set the time yet but we'll post a
                notice here as soon as we do.

                You can also check out our blog
                at www.lakemichiganrusyns.blogspot.com.  Scroll down to the Aug. 7, 2011 posting which has a list  and you'll find
                some questions that may help you determine if you have Rusyn roots.

                It's to bad you didn't catch the posting a year and a half ago on this site when our chapter brought Carpatho-Rusyn Society's national president John Righetti (no  PhD) in to speak at our first public meeting.  He's a dynamic speaker with an extensive knowledge of his heritage.