Re: [S-R] 1910 hungarian census and ethnic breakdowns

  • Nick Kerpchar
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2011
      Norma,
      My father was a choir director and teacher in the "Russian" school in Mayfield, Pennsylvania when I was
      growing up there.  The church was Saint John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Church (I believe, I don't
      have my genealogy papers handy and it has been many, many years) although three-fourths or more
      of the parishioners were of Rusyn ethnic background (including a large Lemko/Rusyn population).

      The "Russian" school was indeed called Russian School and they taught the Russian language, culture and
      history of the area from which the majority of the original parishioners originated (currently north-eastern
      Slovakia and south-eastern Poland).

      There was a strong Russian Orthodox influence in this primarily Rusyn population and once a year around
      the time of Russian Christmas the "Russian School" put on an event called a "Yolka" (I do not know the
      correct spelling and can only guess at the phonetic version).  It was a combination of Rusyn/Russian cultural
      songs, dances, skits, and a some ethnic refreshments.

      The Russian School and all social events were held in the "Russian Hall" as it was called.  It was a two story
      building about the size of a small theater with classrooms upstairs, a large kitchen in the basement (where pirogi
      and other ethnic foods were made by the "Saint John's Women's Club" in very large quantities for every
      occasion under the sun (holidays, dances, weddings, baptisms, funerals, etc.).  And on the main level was
      a very large auditorium with a good sized stage.  There was even a theater-style ticket booth at the
      entrance.  Oh yes, and there were bathrooms.  The building was right across the street from the church
      and it was the center of social life for the congregation in that area.  The Roman Catholic church in the next
      town, Jermyn, also had a similar set-up.  Talk about peaceful co-existence; when the Catholics had a dance
      at their facility many (if not most) young "Rusyns" from Mayfield would go and when St. John's had a
      dance or big event (carnivals) then the Catholics from Jermyn would come.

      I recall that the "old timers" from the Austro-Hungarian Empire (both Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic and
      Russian Orthodox) would gather at many of the events at St. John's and talk about life in their villages
      before they immigrated to the United States.  Many times us kids around the ages of 6 to 9 would gather
      by these men and sing songs for nickles and dimes (money was worth more in the United States then),
      and if we sang The Star Spangled Banner or America the Beautiful we would get a quarter, each!

      This may be more information than you wanted but "Russian School" was what it was called in Mayfield,
      Pennsylvania and many other communities in New Jersey and New York although the majority of the
      church's congregation may have been Rusyns.

      I hope you have as much fun and pride learning about your Rusyn ancestors.  Nick Kerpchar