RE: [S-R] 1910 hungarian census and ethnic breakdowns

  • Bonnie Burke
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 2011
      Hi Norma,

      In answer to your question, yes, it is possible that your ancestors were
      really Rusyn and not Slovak. I belong to the Slovak-Roots group but have not
      participated. Your question put up a red flag for me.

      I am president of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society in Cleveland and we get this
      comment all the time. People are constantly discovering that they are really
      Rusyn and not Slovak. As a result, they are able to get a lot of questions
      answered and a lot of pieces of the puzzle start to fit together. Almost all
      Rusyns were Greek Catholics (Byzantine) or Orthodox. If you check marriage
      records in Slovakia, that might confirm the answer. It sure seems like it
      with 89% Greek Catholic.

      Info that complicated matters....When Rusyns came to this country, they
      married in a Greek Catholic church that was established in the neighborhood.
      We find that sometimes there were only Roman Catholic churches close by and
      as a result married there. Also, there was the rule in America that the
      woman had to marry in the man's church and oftentimes Rusyn women married
      Slovak men. Slovaks were Roman Catholic and Rusyns were Greek Catholic
      (Byzantine) or Orthodox. So, the Rusyn ancestry would get lost in the
      process.

      Please visit our website c-rs.org for basic information on Rusyns. I would
      be glad to answer any other questions you might have about Carpatho-Rusyns.
      You made my dayJ.

      Bonnie

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 2011
        Hello Norma,

        It appears that you well may be of Rusyn stock!

        http://c-rs.org/
        seems to be a good website of US Rusyns.

        Peter

        On 24 October 2011 11:39, Ron <amiak27@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Welcome to the club, Norma! I was born and raised in the US as a good
        > Slovak boy, and I was 50 years old when I learned that I am at least 50%
        > Rusyn. It took me years after that to catch the first "po nashimu" in the
        > cousin's speech in Slovakia, and were quite clear when they confirmed that
        > Sulin Rusini (my spelling for the plural) have nothing to to with the Moscow
        > Rus.
        >
        > The discovery trip since then has brought in another language, another
        > alphabet, and a whole lot of fascinating complications in learning about Our
        > People. The most disappointing aspect of Our People is the disunity and
        > quickness to disagree on most anything, at any time. Hair splitting seems to
        > be the primary Rusyn sport.
        >
        > Ron
        >

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "circlegirln" <NJBQUILT@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > There is a 1910 hungarian census online database of slovak towns.(
        > http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/forum.html) I looked up the slovak
        > town of Kuro/Kurov and found:
        > > 1910 census data for Kuro 505 people, 3 % Hungarian, 0% Slovak, 2 %
        > german, 94 % russin, 2% other, 8% roman catholic, 89 % greek catholic, 1
        > ref, 2% jewish
        > >
        > > I have a question for those more knowledgable than me. The village is 94%
        > russin and 0% slovak. Can some tell me what exactly russin ethnic orgin is?
        > Why there are no slovaks? Kuro/Kurov is about 4 miles from the Polish
        > border. Does this mean my ancestors were really russin and not slovak????
        > >
        > > Thank you for your time,
        > > Norma

      • circlegirln
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2011
          Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. My Slovakian ancestors were listed as Greek Catholic in the church registries in Kurov, Slovakia and since the village was 94 % Rusyn in the 1910 census, I think I am indeed of Rusyn ethnic orgin. The Orthodox Church that the immigrant family attended in Pennsylvania, had schooling on Saturday's for children. I heard that my father, whom is now dead disliked going to "Russian School" on Saturdays. I have no one to ask from my father's generation about " Russian School at the Orthodox Church. I am now thinking that "Russian School" may have been "Rusyn School" Does anyone know if this Saturday schooling for children of new immigrants was a Rusyn tradition??? Does the words "Rusyn" and "Russian" sound the same in English?

          Thanks again all responding.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bonnie Burke" <bonnie@...> wrote:

          > Hi Norma,
          >
          > In answer to your question, yes, it is possible that your ancestors were
          > really Rusyn and not Slovak. I belong to the Slovak-Roots group but have not
          > participated. Your question put up a red flag for me.
          >
          > I am president of the Carpatho-Rusyn Society in Cleveland and we get this
          > comment all the time. People are constantly discovering that they are really
          > Rusyn and not Slovak. As a result, they are able to get a lot of questions
          > answered and a lot of pieces of the puzzle start to fit together. Almost all
          > Rusyns were Greek Catholics (Byzantine) or Orthodox. If you check marriage
          > records in Slovakia, that might confirm the answer. It sure seems like it
          > with 89% Greek Catholic.
          >

          > Info that complicated matters....When Rusyns came to this country, they
          > married in a Greek Catholic church that was established in the neighborhood.
          > We find that sometimes there were only Roman Catholic churches close by and
          > as a result married there. Also, there was the rule in America that the
          > woman had to marry in the man's church and oftentimes Rusyn women married
          > Slovak men. Slovaks were Roman Catholic and Rusyns were Greek Catholic
          > (Byzantine) or Orthodox. So, the Rusyn ancestry would get lost in the
          > process.
          >

          > Please visit our website c-rs.org for basic information on Rusyns. I would
          > be glad to answer any other questions you might have about Carpatho-Rusyns.
          > You made my dayJ.
          >

          > Bonnie

        • Nick Kerpchar
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 26, 2011
            Norma,
            My father was a choir director and teacher in the "Russian" school in Mayfield, Pennsylvania when I was
            growing up there.  The church was Saint John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Church (I believe, I don't
            have my genealogy papers handy and it has been many, many years) although three-fourths or more
            of the parishioners were of Rusyn ethnic background (including a large Lemko/Rusyn population).

            The "Russian" school was indeed called Russian School and they taught the Russian language, culture and
            history of the area from which the majority of the original parishioners originated (currently north-eastern
            Slovakia and south-eastern Poland).

            There was a strong Russian Orthodox influence in this primarily Rusyn population and once a year around
            the time of Russian Christmas the "Russian School" put on an event called a "Yolka" (I do not know the
            correct spelling and can only guess at the phonetic version).  It was a combination of Rusyn/Russian cultural
            songs, dances, skits, and a some ethnic refreshments.

            The Russian School and all social events were held in the "Russian Hall" as it was called.  It was a two story
            building about the size of a small theater with classrooms upstairs, a large kitchen in the basement (where pirogi
            and other ethnic foods were made by the "Saint John's Women's Club" in very large quantities for every
            occasion under the sun (holidays, dances, weddings, baptisms, funerals, etc.).  And on the main level was
            a very large auditorium with a good sized stage.  There was even a theater-style ticket booth at the
            entrance.  Oh yes, and there were bathrooms.  The building was right across the street from the church
            and it was the center of social life for the congregation in that area.  The Roman Catholic church in the next
            town, Jermyn, also had a similar set-up.  Talk about peaceful co-existence; when the Catholics had a dance
            at their facility many (if not most) young "Rusyns" from Mayfield would go and when St. John's had a
            dance or big event (carnivals) then the Catholics from Jermyn would come.

            I recall that the "old timers" from the Austro-Hungarian Empire (both Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic and
            Russian Orthodox) would gather at many of the events at St. John's and talk about life in their villages
            before they immigrated to the United States.  Many times us kids around the ages of 6 to 9 would gather
            by these men and sing songs for nickles and dimes (money was worth more in the United States then),
            and if we sang The Star Spangled Banner or America the Beautiful we would get a quarter, each!

            This may be more information than you wanted but "Russian School" was what it was called in Mayfield,
            Pennsylvania and many other communities in New Jersey and New York although the majority of the
            church's congregation may have been Rusyns.

            I hope you have as much fun and pride learning about your Rusyn ancestors.  Nick Kerpchar