Brain Teaser

  • John
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 18, 2011
      There is a real brain teaser on the Delphi site under the caption Vilkenovc/Viklenovc.

      Great(er) minds may be able to help figure it out. So far, only best guesses.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 18, 2011
        Before going over to Delphi I researched the two spellings. The 1995 Census has no such spellings. Falling Rain has only six places in Slovakia that begin with “Vi”. Vitkovce is a place in Kosicky and Nitriansky Kraj. And my Slovak Road Atlas has no such listings.
        So if no such place exists. It could be difficult to figure out.

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 18, 2011
          >>> So if no such place exists. It could be difficult to figure out. <<<

          You got the idea!
        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 18, 2011
            I suppose the spelling has been confirmed?
            Where is the Delphi site? Is there I link I can follow?

            Peter

            On 19 October 2011 06:29, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

            > **

            > You got the idea!

          • John
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 18, 2011
              >>> I suppose the spelling has been confirmed? <<<

              Definitely NOT.

              >>> Where is the Delphi site? Is there I link I can follow?<<<

              http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=iarelative&nav=messages&msg=10098.1&prettyurl=%2Fiarelative%2Fmessages%2F%3Fmsg%3D10098%2E1
            • Ben
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 18, 2011
                How about 'Vlkolinec?' That does in fact exist. An ending of 'vc' would not occur in Slovak. 'Ovci' or 'ovca' would occur, but not 'vc.'
                Ben

                Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

                John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                >There is a real brain teaser on the Delphi site under the caption Vilkenovc/Viklenovc.
                >
                >Great(er) minds may be able to help figure it out. So far, only best guesses.

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 18, 2011
                  Is this a mangled version of Vlkolinec in LIPTOV?

                  HELENE

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 19, 2011
                    That is what I suggested as well. No response as of yet, though.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 19, 2011
                      >>> That is what I suggested as well. No response as of yet, though. <<<

                      It's a matter of tying the ZAJDEN surname to a particular village. It's not a matter of simply guessing village names that have similar spelling.
                    • Ben Sorensen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 19, 2011
                        It is not just a guess.  That is a Liptov name, and therefore, I would say that Vlkolinec would be your best bet.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 19, 2011
                          It does look like a good fit.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 19, 2011
                            After looking at the forum, it seems to me that only the surname did not get butchered by those filling out the forms.  It is a shame that they have no ship papers or military rolls from the "old country."  We are not even sure what forms this person has from the States.  The given name does not look Slovak to me at all. Majki is not a name that we run into often (if at all); it looks like it was a derivative of a more formal name. It is not on the calendar, and therefore certainly not traditional.

                            For that person to have anything conclusive, they will need to find a lot more evidence. Poor guy!
                            Ben

                            ________________________________
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 19, 2011
                              >>> Majki is not a name that we run into often (if at all); it looks like it was a derivative of a more formal name. It is not on the calendar, and therefore certainly not traditional. <<<

                              I would bet a Canadian Loonie that it is simply Mihaly / Michal, in its English mis-spelling.
                            • Ben Sorensen
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 19, 2011
                                Considering that I have American Bucks, I fear you may get the bad end of this deal by winning. :-)
                                I will take a Loonie any day, though. And a Molson. :-) And with you, anytime.
                                Ben

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 19, 2011
                                  Hi all - what is odd is that Majki - very likely a mangled version of Mikey - reminds me of the last several letters people asked me for help - they were the oddest gulas - written from Eastern Slovakia but seeming to be from people who mixed English and Slovak in a mush. I wonder if Slovaks came to America and worked awhile and then created a kind of "Slovenglish".  Really odd and puzzling.

                                  helene

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
                                    In a marriage record for Mihaly Sztricsko, there is a village name that I can't figure out. It would seem that father Mihaly came from OSCVAI (or similar). The marriage is in Senne, Ung Megye, just south of Michalovce, 3 km from Palin.

                                    Where was the elder Mihaly SZTRICSKO from? See entry #15.
                                    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11029-120342-98?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-TVJ:n1521193330
                                  • Sue Martin
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
                                      Could it be Osztro, which is in Ung Megye also?

                                      Sue

                                      In a marriage record for Mihaly Sztricsko, there is a village name that I can't figure out. It would seem that father Mihaly came from OSCVAI (or similar). The marriage is in Senne, Ung Megye, just south of Michalovce, 3 km from Palin.

                                      Where was the elder Mihaly SZTRICSKO from? See entry #15.
                                      [https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11029-120342-98?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-TVJ:n1521193330] https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11029-120342-98?cc=1554443&wc=M9MJ-TVJ:n1521193330

                                    • CurtB
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 4, 2013
                                        John,
                                        It looks to me as Ocsvar, later it was called Olcvar, and today known as Košicke O¾šany. [kosicke olsany, without the diacritics] The village is not too far away, just east of Kosice.

                                        Curt B.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                                          It is probably the best guess, albeit a considerable distance for someone to travel in those early days. Perhaps the church records are available to help solve the mystery.

                                        • david1law@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                                            Dear John:

                                            Sometimes, there can be a distance greater than a few villages away. In
                                            my own genealogical research, it took my a long while to trace my
                                            grandmother's village of origin because (1) the name of the village was in a
                                            different form and did not appear to match any village names that I was familiar
                                            with; and (2) I was looking only at villages in a close in proximity to the
                                            village where she lived when she was married. When I did find her village
                                            of origin, the information matched the information that I had about my
                                            grandmother (and her siblings, etc.), and also matched the stories that my
                                            father had relayed to me about his mother growing up in the Tatra Mountains.
                                            One's occupation may play a role in the distance.

                                            You may have already done it, but just in case, I would recommend that you
                                            look through additional pages in the church records to see if you might be
                                            able to better decipher the handwriting.

                                            I hope that everything else is going well for you, my friend, and wish you
                                            and your family a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

                                            Best regards,

                                            David

                                            --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 5, 2013
                                              I agree that proximity is usually a good indicator -- but not always. I have checked the RC church records for Kosicke Olsany for 10 years prior to the estimated year of birth and found no relevant birth record.

                                              Perhaps this mystery will remain unsolved.