Jan Sugar,Sugars

  • voony2
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2011
      Hello Group
      My research involving John,Jan Sugars has reached a brickwall. The town or village he was supposed to have been born in is Kozuchov, I can google it but in the Gazetter I cannot find it.He is reported to have been an orphan and was raised by the priest (Greek Catholic). If any one can knock a brick or two from the wall I would be apprecative

      Bob von Berge
    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2011
        Bob,
        What Gazeteer are you referring here. The village of Koz~uchov is just a few miles south of Trebis~ov in old Zemplin county. It appears in current maps and the current autoatlas.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "voony2" <voony3@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group
        > My research involving John,Jan Sugars has reached a brickwall. The town or village he was supposed to have been born in is Kozuchov, I can google it but in the Gazetter I cannot find it.He is reported to have been an orphan and was raised by the priest (Greek Catholic). If any one can knock a brick or two from the wall I would be apprecative
        >
        > Bob von Berge

      • voony2
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2011
          Curt
          The gazeteer I searched was the Dvorzak volume #1 and #2 I can find the town with google maps but I'm trying to find where the birth, baptismal records are located.
          Bob

          > Bob,
          > What Gazeteer are you referring here. The village of Koz~uchov is just a few miles south of Trebis~ov in old Zemplin county. It appears in current maps and the current autoatlas.
          >
          > Curt B.
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "voony2" <voony3@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Group
          > > My research involving John,Jan Sugars has reached a brickwall. The town or village he was supposed to have been born in is Kozuchov, I can google it but in the Gazetter I cannot find it.He is reported to have been an orphan and was raised by the priest (Greek Catholic). If any one can knock a brick or two from the wall I would be apprecative
          > >
          > > Bob von Berge

        • John
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2011
            >>> The town or village he was supposed to have been born in is Kozuchov, . . . He is reported to have been an orphan and was raised by the priest (Greek Catholic). <<<

            Two possible GC parishes near Kozuchov. Zemplinske Hradiste and Zemplinska Nova Ves. Neither set of GC records is online at this time. Film only.

            The 1869 Hungarian Census is also available on film:

            Karna (Karná) -- Káros -- Koskócz (Koškovce) -- Kazsu (Kožuchov) -- Kacsánd (Kačanov) -- Kálna (Kalná) -- Kálna-Rosztoka (Kalná Roztoka) Film #722714
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 17, 2011
              Bob,
              Kozuchov is 3 km / 1.8 miles from Zemplinske Hradiste and 2 km / 1.2 miles from Zemplinsky Branc, whose population is not much larger than Kozuchov. The modern road atlas shows that there are two churches in Kozuchov. And three churches in Zemplinske Hradiste. The archive records for Zemplinske Hradiste are for a Greek Catholic and Reformation Churches. I would presume the third now there is a Roman Catholic Church. Since the population of Kozuchov is only 223 and was probably less in the past, I would assume that it was an affiliated parish. The nearest parishes would have been in Zemplinske Hradiste. I would look at its records first.

              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@...> wrote:

              > Bob,
              > What Gazeteer are you referring here. The village of Koz~uchov is just a few miles south of Trebis~ov in old Zemplin county. It appears in current maps and the current autoatlas.
              >
              > Curt B.
              >
              > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "voony2" <voony3@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello Group
              > > My research involving John,Jan Sugars has reached a brickwall. The town or village he was supposed to have been born in is Kozuchov, I can google it but in the Gazetter I cannot find it.He is reported to have been an orphan and was raised by the priest (Greek Catholic). If any one can knock a brick or two from the wall I would be apprecative
              > >
              > > Bob von Berge

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 17, 2011
                Bob,
                It apears in that Gazateer on page 826. The town is spelled Kazsu in Hungarian. The Gazateer does indicate that Greek Catholic records for that town are found in the parish of Zemplinske Hradiste. Good luck.