Re: [S-R] funeral homes

  • Carol Novotni
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2001
      Got for it, Julie. Call the funeral home and ask. I've done this in the past
      when doing genealogical research and have been pleasantly surprised be the
      cooperation. They might just send you copies of their records and you would pay
      the copying and postage.
      Carol

      J. Michutka wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I have a more general genealogy question: one of my Slovak immigrant
      > relatives died in the Seattle area in 1976. I have a copy of his death
      > certificate, and I'd really like to find an obit (if one was published).
      > >From the information I have, it's not clear which town in the Seattle area
      > he lived in (to choose a newspaper to search for an obit); however, the
      > death certificate does note the funeral home that took care of him.
      >
      > My question is, what kind of records would the funeral home have that they
      > would share--since the funeral home (in my experience) sends out the obit
      > to the paper(s), would they have a copy of the obit on file? (Yes, I know
      > I could just call them and ask, but I'm afraid of committing a major faux
      > pas by asking for something that might be considered confidential--although
      > an obit is hardly confidential....; but I figure their records are business
      > records, not public records...)
      >
      > I'm hoping to find out whether this guy had children/grandchildren; his
      > younger brother remained in Slovakia, and I met his widow there this
      > summer; the family has no idea what became of the emigrant older bro, and
      > I've been trying to find out.
      >
      > Thanks for any help!
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...
    • rpmrazik
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2001
        If drowned, it could have very well been in the local newspaper, as well!
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2001
          I did contact the local library (Cincinnati) & the ONLY copy they had was
          from one of the German papers, & the quality of the copy was so poor that
          the library dropped the copy fees ;-( That was when I thought to call the
          cemetery- for me their info was like hitting the jackpot!!!

          I noticed that you seem to be interested in the Wisconsin Slovak Historical
          Society- are you from WI?

          Susan in Wisconsin