Help with Sarisske Jastrabie and Orosz Volya Kerpcsar Connection

  • ccknk
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 13, 2011
      I have hit the proverbial brick wall and need help, please. I am looking for a link between the Kerpcsar families (also Kerpchar, Kerbcsar, Kerpczar)from Sarisske Jastrabie and Orosz Volya (both in old Saros Megy, Hungary but now Stara Lubovna district, Presov region, Slovakia). Is there a marriage or some connection anyone can point out. I have gone line-by-line through church records on line without success. Confirmation of this link between the two Kerpcsar/Kerpchar families will be a major event if it can be documented. Thank you all every so much for your help, Carolyn
    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 13, 2011
        >>> I am looking for a link between the Kerpcsar families (also Kerpchar, Kerbcsar, Kerpczar)from Sarisske Jastrabie and Orosz Volya (both in old Saros Megy, Hungary but now Stara Lubovna district, Presov region, Slovakia). Is there a marriage or some connection anyone can point out. I have gone line-by-line through church records on line without success. <<<

        Sometimes, one spouse dies and the other remarries. That becomes the (single) connection. Look for a marriage later than abt age 25 and you may find the connection, perhaps in the FIRST marriage.
      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 13, 2011
          John,
          Thank you for the suggestion.  I have done a similar search even looking for the same witnesses and whether the
          bride and/or groom were previously married but without success.  Both of these villages are within about 5 to 6
          miles of one another and the family name of Kerpcsar/Kerpchar is not that common ... so intuition would indicate
          that there is a family link.  I have also found Kerpcsars in Leluchov, Csirc, and Felsokanya.  One John Kerpchar
          from Connecticut, whose ancestors came from Jastrabie, once told my husband that these Kerpchars were related
          but he died before sharing any documentation that he may have had (and his widow is lost to us). Perhaps someone
          that has been researching ancestors in Jastrabie has come across the link and will read this request for help.  Again,
          thank you for your suggestion.  Carolyn

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 13, 2011
            Nick,
            Two places in the Saris district have been known by Orosz-Volya during the same time period. Ruska Vol’a nad Popradom is 13 km from Sarisske Jastrabie. Both of your villages are Greek Catholic. Ruska Vol’a is so small, 97, they do not have a church. Nearby Circ does.
            2053 Ruská Voľa nad Popradom SL/PV šariš.
            1773 Orosz-Volya, Ruska Wolya, 1786 Orosz-Wolya, 1808 Orosz-Alsó-Vólya et Orosz-Felső-Vólya, Ruská Wola, 1863–1902 Oroszvolya, 1907–1913 Poprádökrös, 1920 Ruská Voľa, [Ruská] Volová, 1927–1960 Ruská Voľa, 1960– Ruská Voľa nad Popradom

            2052 Ruská Voľa VT/PV šariš./zemplín. po 1882 pričl. o. Fiaš [zemplín.].
            1773 Orosz-Volya, Volya, Wolya, 1786 Orosz-Wolya, 1808 Orosz-Volya, Ruská Wola (cum Fias), 1863–1902 Oroszvolya, 1907–1913 Kisszabados, 1920– Ruská Voľa

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
              Hi Michael,
              I have picked up the hunt for my husband's Kerpcsar ancestors.  I have gone through the Csirc/Circ Greek Catholic records and have
              found that people from neighboring villages including Orosz Volya and Obrucmo did indeed go to the church in Circ.  Getting that one
              (or more) marriage(s) or baptism(s) to link Kerpcsars from Jastrabie and Orosz Volya is, I think, what will be the winning documentation.

              As I mentioned to John, perhaps someone that has or is researching ancestors from Jastrabie, or maybe even Orlov, may come across
              the Kerpcsars/Kerpchars that I am looking for.

              I have found a listing for Kerpcsars in the Csirc Greek Catholic records going back to 1788 and listed in the now famous Hungarian Census
              of 1869 so I know that they were in the area for almost 100 years.  Surely in that time there was some visiting between Orosz Volya,
              Csirc, and Jastrabie.  Maybe they had Saturday night dances when young people could meet, and the young men would wear their best
              white trousers with fancy embroidery, a white shirt, black vest and hat.  And the young women would wear their nice full skirts with
              equally fancy embroidery, colourful blouses, vest and ribbons in their combed and pulled-back hair.  That could have also been the time
              that the match-makers sat and eyed prospective couples.

              Thank you, thank you for taking the time to to reply and add to the information.  Carolyn

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
                Carolyn,
                My paternal ancestral villages are Hromos and Plavnica which are close to yours. On my six trips to Slovakia I did stop in Sarisske Jastrabie once to do some research.
                This is an area with a large Greek Catholic population at one time. Hromos has a Greek Catholic church, the GC membership got so low they offered to share the church with the Roman Catholics in order to keep it up. Sarriske Jastrabie’s Greek Catholic church, Panny Marie, was built in 1812.
                You mentioned Orlov, my paternal grandmother’s family was from there.
                I looked at another source that has the telephone listing in 2005. The Orkes/Counties of Stara Lubovna and Sabinov had these villages with a Kerpcsar listing – Brezovica, Vislanka, Lipany, and Stara Lubovna. Further east in orkes Sabinov Sarriske Michal'any and the Solna Bana suburb of Presov had listings Solna Bana had the most of any place, 12 were shown and more were listed.
                It has been said that for most villagers in Slovakia lived out their whole lives within a 10 miles radius of their village. When going through the records it is no surprise that you keep seeing the same surnames. Even in the larger villages it is the same, just a larger surname and gene pool. Years ago a cousin and I declared that everyone was related to one another. This is not a big surprise. You have villages here that were established in the 1200’s. Over the course of 800 years all of the families must have had a marriage with every other family.
                What can be surprising is how well the history of a family is known. I was talking to the mayor of Plavnica about a family. He commented that they were not from Plavnica and he said what village. I was shocked by this. In the Plavnica records this family had been living there for 200 years! Yet the Mayor saw them as newcomers.
                From my own experience in Slovakia I can conclude the Slovaks will turn any occasion into a celebration. So I’m sure things were not different 100 years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised that “getting to church on time” for the eligibles meant arriving on Saturday for a social gathering.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
                  Michael,
                  Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in Slovakia and your insights into the history and culture of the area.
                  In my search for ancestoral information I found that the last name of the current Mayor of Circ is Varga.  My husband's
                  paternal grandmother was from Circ and her last name was also Varga.  Wouldn't it be interesting if he was of the same
                  family line.

                  Well, your information has given me motivation to keep looking and to keep asking about the Kerpcsars/Kerpchars.  By
                  the way, does the name "Kerpcsar" mean anything in Carpatho-Rusyn or Slavic?

                  Thank you again, Carolyn

                  ________________________________

                  >>> I am looking for a link between the Kerpcsar families (also Kerpchar, Kerbcsar, Kerpczar)from Sarisske Jastrabie and Orosz Volya (both in old Saros Megy, Hungary but now Stara Lubovna district, Presov region, Slovakia). Is there a marriage or some connection anyone can point out. I have gone line-by-line through church records on line without success. <<<

                  Sometimes, one spouse dies and the other remarries. That becomes the (single) connection. Look for a marriage later than abt age 25 and you may find the connection, perhaps in the FIRST marriage.

                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
                    Carolyn,
                    Varga is almost the “Jones” of Slovakia. In the 1995 Census there were 11,699 listing in 1220 locations. Nonetheless, if the one you have found in Circ might be a relatives if your Varga is in Ruska Vol’a.
                    http://www.obeccirc.sk/ Here is the Circ website. Under Obecny Urad is Kontakt, click on it and you will have the email address for city and one for the present Mayor, Mike Didlik.
                    http://www.obce.info/sk/slovensko/presovsky-kraj/okres-stara-kubovna/ruska-vola-nad-popradom/celok-ruska-vola-nad-popradom For Ruska Vol’a
                    http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/ruskavolanadpopradom/ruska-vola-nad-popradom.html Information page on Ruska Vol’a
                    The online telephone directory had only 20 listings for Kerpcar, two were in Sarisske Jastrabie.
                    I couldn’t find a translation for the name. Ker is bush in Slovak.

                    >>> I am looking for a link between the Kerpcsar families (also Kerpchar, Kerbcsar, Kerpczar)from Sarisske Jastrabie and Orosz Volya (both in old Saros Megy, Hungary but now Stara Lubovna district, Presov region, Slovakia). Is there a marriage or some connection anyone can point out. I have gone line-by-line through church records on line without success. <<<

                    Sometimes, one spouse dies and the other remarries. That becomes the (single) connection. Look for a marriage later than abt age 25 and you may find the connection, perhaps in the FIRST marriage.

                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
                      Carolyn,
                      Keep in mind that in modern Slovak orthography the name is spelled Kerpc~ar. S~aris~ske Jastrabie is still filled with Kerpc~ar family.

                      Curt B.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 15, 2011
                        Curt,
                        Thank you for the information on Kerpchar/Kerpcar spelling.  The fact that there are still Kerpcars in
                        Sarisske Jastrabie sure makes it tempting to want to visit there.  That Kerpcar name has come up in
                        my researching another branch of the Kerpcsar family tree, the Dimitri (Metro) Romansky and
                        Nicholas Romansky family.  Those Romansky boys married the sister and half-sister of my husband's
                        paternal grandfather.  One sister gave her last name as Kerpcar in the 1920 (I believe) U.S. Census
                        but the way it was written looked like Korpcar.  What a merry little chase that was finally figuring out
                        what had happened.

                        Well, I want to thank all of you who have added to my knowledge of the Kerpcsar/Kerpchar/Kerpcar
                        family.  The participants on this site are a wonderful treasure of knowledge and I appreciate the
                        patience and willingness to share that has been extended to me.  I also hope that there will be that
                        one message that says, "Carolyn, here is the Kerpcsar link between Orosz Volya and Sarisske Jastrabie
                        that you are looking for."  In the meantime, thank you all, Carolyn

                        ________________________________
                        Keep in mind that in modern Slovak orthography the name is spelled Kerpc~ar. S~aris~ske Jastrabie is still filled with Kerpc~ar family.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

                        > Michael,
                        > Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in Slovakia and your insights into the history and culture of the area.
                        > In my search for ancestoral information I found that the last name of the current Mayor of Circ is Varga.  My husband's
                        > paternal grandmother was from Circ and her last name was also Varga.  Wouldn't it be interesting if he was of the same
                        > family line.
                        >
                        > Well, your information has given me motivation to keep looking and to keep asking about the Kerpcsars/Kerpchars.  By
                        > the way, does the name "Kerpcsar" mean anything in Carpatho-Rusyn or Slavic?
                        >
                        > Thank you again, Carolyn
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 15, 2011
                          Hi - I wonder if it is related to "Krpse", the soft leather shoes that lace up. Could it have meant a maker of those traditional shoes?

                          I knew a family of Krpcars who lived in Lucenec in soputhern Slovakia but that is a long way from Circ!

                          helene

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 16, 2011
                            Hello Helen,
                            Thank you for the info on "Krpse" meaning a soft leather shoe that laces up.  When I read this to my
                            husband (the Kerpchar in our family) he said that jolted his memory when his 6th grade teacher said
                            "Kerpcsar/Kerpchar" generally meant "...someone that made a type of shoe."  My husband said that
                            he had all but forgotten about that until I read him your e-mail.  By way of information, the 6th grade
                            teacher was a personal friend of my husband's father.  They grew up together.

                            Helen, you have proven what I said earlier about this forum being a treasure of information.  I have so
                            many questions but hesitate to post them as I know other people have questions too, so we all have
                            to take out turn and leave time and space for others.

                            Thanks again, Carolyn