Re: [S-R] Re: Translation Help - Trnava/Brestovany Marriage Record

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2011
      min.or V 1 1 PRES PASSIVE IND 1 S
      mino, minare, minavi, minatus V TRANS [DXXDS] Late lesser
      drive (animals); impel, push, force; threaten?;

      minor, minari, minatus sum V DEP [XXXBO]
      threaten, speak/act menacingly; make threatening movement; give indication of;

      minor N 3 1 NOM S M
      minor N 3 1 VOC S M
      minor, minoris N M [XXXDX] lesser
      those inferior in rank/grade/age, subordinate; descendants (pl.);

      min.or ADJ 1 1 NOM S C COMP
      min.or ADJ 1 1 VOC S C COMP
      parvus, parva -um, minor -or -us, minimus -a -um ADJ [XXXAX]
      small, little, cheap; unimportant; (SUPER) smallest, least;

      Minoritatas is less than legal age.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2011
        Remember that Latin adjectives have to agree in gender, number and case so you can tell what is being modified.
        Here is a translation of the complete passage in question. The entry is not punctuated, so it is just a long run-on sentence so common in Latin. Joseph is apparently a minor according to contemporary canon or civil law and requires the permission of his father to marry.

        It says:

        I joined in marriage the honest youth [previously unmarried] Joseph, son of Martin Gabriel, being a minor youth unable [to marry], but the Reverend pastor of his parish of Magensis sent the permission [of his father], with the honest virgin [never married] Elizagbeth daughter of ----- ------ from Kurkosc, with Joseph Runza as witness.

        Curt B.

        > min.or V 1 1 PRES PASSIVE IND 1 S
        > mino, minare, minavi, minatus V TRANS [DXXDS] Late lesser
        > drive (animals); impel, push, force; threaten?;
        >
        > minor, minari, minatus sum V DEP [XXXBO]
        > threaten, speak/act menacingly; make threatening movement; give indication of;
        >
        > minor N 3 1 NOM S M
        > minor N 3 1 VOC S M
        > minor, minoris N M [XXXDX] lesser
        > those inferior in rank/grade/age, subordinate; descendants (pl.);
        >
        > min.or ADJ 1 1 NOM S C COMP
        > min.or ADJ 1 1 VOC S C COMP
        > parvus, parva -um, minor -or -us, minimus -a -um ADJ [XXXAX]
        > small, little, cheap; unimportant; (SUPER) smallest, least;
        >
        > Minoritatas is less than legal age.

      • dmgnew
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2011
          Thanks to all for the help translating this record! It looks like I can continue to follow this path.
          - Dawn