RE: [S-R] Re: Mikus-Ocet Church record translation

  • Judy Hogel
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
      I'm not sure of the word before Kukla, but the rest is: Kukla Maria (surname, given name) nata (born as/maiden name) Ocet. Both the bride and groom are widows (vidus abreviated as vid.). I would assume then that the Kukla is the surname of her first husband. JudyTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      From: lormik719@...
      Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:36:08 -0700
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Mikus-Ocet Church record translation

      Sorry...........I didn't know you couldn't attach a file. Here is the info for the record I am referring to in my request..........I

      FamilySearch.org - Slovak Church Books, 1592-1910/Roman Catholic/Nove Mesto nad Vahom/Nova Ves nad Vahom/Marriages (Man�elstv�), 1867-1897 (Inv. �. 1568)/Image 61 of 64

      Lorrie

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
        Hello,

        You would need to trace Maria's and Adam's previous marriages to work out
        what the name before Kukla is. It is probably (a guess), referring to her
        dead husband.

        On 4 October 2011 05:12, Judy Hogel <hogelj@...> wrote:

        > I'm not sure of the word before Kukla, but the rest is: Kukla Maria
        > (surname, given name) nata (born as/maiden name) Ocet. Both the bride and
        > groom are widows (vidus abreviated as vid.). I would assume then that the
        > Kukla is the surname of her first husband. JudyTo:
        > SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        > From: lormik719@...
        > Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:36:08 -0700
        > Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Mikus-Ocet Church record translation

        > Sorry...........I didn't know you couldn't attach a file. Here is the
        > info for the record I am referring to in my request..........I
        >

        > FamilySearch.org - Slovak Church Books, 1592-1910/Roman Catholic/Nove Mesto
        > nad Vahom/Nova Ves nad Vahom/Marriages (Manľelstvá), 1867-1897 (Inv. č.
        > 1568)/Image 61 of 64
        >

        > Lorrie

      • John
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
          The death of the first husband would have been SHORTLY before the remarriage. It is recorded on film #1569 page 134/235. His name was Paul(us) Maczo Kukla, age 57, died 8 March 1893. Lived @ house #9.

          The Maczo Kukla surname is repeated on the second marriage record.
        • John
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
            When your research takes you back to 1869, you will want to research the 1869 Hungarian Census. Thankfully, the house numbers are in the marriage and death records. Here are the film numbers (not available online) for ordering the films to be delivered to your nearest LDS Family History center. House #9 will be on the first film.

            Vág Ujhely (Nové Mesto nad Váhom) Film 2185173 Item 5
            (cont.) Vág Ujhely (Nové Mesto nad Váhom) Film 2185174 Item 1
          • Lorrie
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
              Thank you all for your help!

              Lorrie

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                Maria had two sons from her previous marriage who used the Ocet surname when they came to the US.  Would it be customary for them to use their mother's maiden name?

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                  The fun is just starting! Let us know how you are doing.

                  You should keep jumping from one piece of "known" information to another. Knowing that Maria Ocet was 38 in 1893, you can look up her birth record in 1855 on film #1567. Try pages 164+ / 536. Maria Ocet is missing! So is her first marriage abt 1875. That implies Maria was born and married in a nearby village.

                  Look for any clue to see where she is from. The 1869 Hungarian Census might provide the answer. Or perhaps not.

                  Based upon the 1995 Slovak Census and current phone listings, my bet is to the south in the village of Hradok. No guarantees.

                  It's a detective story without end.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                    >>> You should keep jumping from one piece of "known" information to another. Knowing that Maria Ocet was 38 in 1893, you can look up her birth record in 1855 on film #1567. Try pages 164+ / 536. Maria Ocet is missing! So is her first marriage abt 1875. That implies Maria was born and married in a nearby village.
                    . . .

                    Based upon the 1995 Slovak Census and current phone listings, my bet is to the south in the village of Hradok. <<<

                    RC Hradok, film #1003, page 20 / 106:

                    Born: Maria Oczet RC Huorka #25
                    Father Martin Oczet
                    Mother Anna Prisztass

                    OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                    1773, 1863â€"1907 Huorka, 1808 Huorka, Horka, 1913 Vághorka, 1920â€"1948 Hôrka, 1948â€" Hôrka nad Váhom located ONE village south of Nova Ves nad Vahom.

                    1869 Hungarian Census:
                    Huorka (Hôrka) Film #2150823 Item 6

                    Happy squinting.