Mikus-Ocet Church record translation

  • Lorrie
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
      I am a new member of the group and I have learned a lot from reading your questions and replies.  I didn't know that Slovak records existed online until I became a member of this group.  I have found two marriage records for my family............and I know this is just the beginning!  What I need now is some help with translation.  I have attached the file for the marriage of Adam Mikus.  But I don't know who the person in the second line is (Kukla).  My family said he was married to Maria Ocet and that she had been married before and her first husband had died.  Using Google translate, it appears that they were both divorced, which contradicts the story that I was given.  Any help would be appreciated...........

      Lorrie

    • John
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
        >>> I have attached the file for the marriage of Adam Mikus.  But I don't know who the person in the second line is (Kukla).  My family said he was married to Maria Ocet and that she had been married before and her first husband had died.  <<<

        You can't attach a file. Pls simply provide the original source reference: religion / town / village / film # / page

        We can easily look it up.
      • Lorrie
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
          Sorry...........I didn't know you couldn't attach a file.  Here is the info for the record I am referring to in my request..........I

          FamilySearch.org - Slovak Church Books, 1592-1910/Roman Catholic/Nove Mesto nad Vahom/Nova Ves nad Vahom/Marriages (Manželstvá), 1867-1897 (Inv. č. 1568)/Image 61 of 64

          Lorrie

        • Judy Hogel
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
            I'm not sure of the word before Kukla, but the rest is: Kukla Maria (surname, given name) nata (born as/maiden name) Ocet. Both the bride and groom are widows (vidus abreviated as vid.). I would assume then that the Kukla is the surname of her first husband. JudyTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            From: lormik719@...
            Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:36:08 -0700
            Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Mikus-Ocet Church record translation

            Sorry...........I didn't know you couldn't attach a file. Here is the info for the record I am referring to in my request..........I

            FamilySearch.org - Slovak Church Books, 1592-1910/Roman Catholic/Nove Mesto nad Vahom/Nova Ves nad Vahom/Marriages (Man�elstv�), 1867-1897 (Inv. �. 1568)/Image 61 of 64

            Lorrie

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
              Hello,

              You would need to trace Maria's and Adam's previous marriages to work out
              what the name before Kukla is. It is probably (a guess), referring to her
              dead husband.

              On 4 October 2011 05:12, Judy Hogel <hogelj@...> wrote:

              > I'm not sure of the word before Kukla, but the rest is: Kukla Maria
              > (surname, given name) nata (born as/maiden name) Ocet. Both the bride and
              > groom are widows (vidus abreviated as vid.). I would assume then that the
              > Kukla is the surname of her first husband. JudyTo:
              > SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > From: lormik719@...
              > Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:36:08 -0700
              > Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Mikus-Ocet Church record translation

              > Sorry...........I didn't know you couldn't attach a file. Here is the
              > info for the record I am referring to in my request..........I
              >

              > FamilySearch.org - Slovak Church Books, 1592-1910/Roman Catholic/Nove Mesto
              > nad Vahom/Nova Ves nad Vahom/Marriages (Manľelstvá), 1867-1897 (Inv. č.
              > 1568)/Image 61 of 64
              >

              > Lorrie

            • John
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                The death of the first husband would have been SHORTLY before the remarriage. It is recorded on film #1569 page 134/235. His name was Paul(us) Maczo Kukla, age 57, died 8 March 1893. Lived @ house #9.

                The Maczo Kukla surname is repeated on the second marriage record.
              • John
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                  When your research takes you back to 1869, you will want to research the 1869 Hungarian Census. Thankfully, the house numbers are in the marriage and death records. Here are the film numbers (not available online) for ordering the films to be delivered to your nearest LDS Family History center. House #9 will be on the first film.

                  Vág Ujhely (Nové Mesto nad Váhom) Film 2185173 Item 5
                  (cont.) Vág Ujhely (Nové Mesto nad Váhom) Film 2185174 Item 1
                • Lorrie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Thank you all for your help!

                    Lorrie

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                      Maria had two sons from her previous marriage who used the Ocet surname when they came to the US.  Would it be customary for them to use their mother's maiden name?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                        The fun is just starting! Let us know how you are doing.

                        You should keep jumping from one piece of "known" information to another. Knowing that Maria Ocet was 38 in 1893, you can look up her birth record in 1855 on film #1567. Try pages 164+ / 536. Maria Ocet is missing! So is her first marriage abt 1875. That implies Maria was born and married in a nearby village.

                        Look for any clue to see where she is from. The 1869 Hungarian Census might provide the answer. Or perhaps not.

                        Based upon the 1995 Slovak Census and current phone listings, my bet is to the south in the village of Hradok. No guarantees.

                        It's a detective story without end.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                          >>> You should keep jumping from one piece of "known" information to another. Knowing that Maria Ocet was 38 in 1893, you can look up her birth record in 1855 on film #1567. Try pages 164+ / 536. Maria Ocet is missing! So is her first marriage abt 1875. That implies Maria was born and married in a nearby village.
                          . . .

                          Based upon the 1995 Slovak Census and current phone listings, my bet is to the south in the village of Hradok. <<<

                          RC Hradok, film #1003, page 20 / 106:

                          Born: Maria Oczet RC Huorka #25
                          Father Martin Oczet
                          Mother Anna Prisztass

                          OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                          1773, 1863â€"1907 Huorka, 1808 Huorka, Horka, 1913 Vághorka, 1920â€"1948 Hôrka, 1948â€" Hôrka nad Váhom located ONE village south of Nova Ves nad Vahom.

                          1869 Hungarian Census:
                          Huorka (Hôrka) Film #2150823 Item 6

                          Happy squinting.