Re: [S-R] Hroncak-Holovac Church Records: Translation

  • William
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
      On 10/1/2011 5:23 PM, creativelr wrote:

      > HI everyone,
      >
      > I am new to the group and just beginning our search through the
      > Olsavica Church records. My cousin and I have identified most of our
      > family in this village.
      >
      > I have uploaded 4 files into a Hroncak Holovac Church Records Folder
      > in this group.
      >
      > I would appreciate any translations on these, specifically, on the
      > RIGHT pages in the 'Observations" fields - we do not, or cannot
      > understand what it written.
      >
      > Here is a link to that folder:

      > I would greatly appreciate any help anyone if able to give. We have
      > lots of people and pages to go through so I'm sure this will not be
      > the last time I ask for help.
      >
      > Thank you in advance.
      >
      > Linda in Chicagoland, USA

      If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
      pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
      present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
      making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.

      William F. Brna

    • creativelr
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
        Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We are now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and triple Surnames make any sense.

        WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not as many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.

        Linda in Chicagoland, USA

        William wrote:

        > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
        > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
        > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
        > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
        >
        > William F. Brna

      • Julie Mark
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
          Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
          Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
          documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
          married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
          great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
          Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
          differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
          Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
          Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
          line.

          Julie from California

          William wrote:

          > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
          > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
          > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
          > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
          >
          > William F. Brna

        • tom geiss
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
            On my map I see an OLSAVICA a little north of Spisske podhradie, in Eastern Slovakia.
            Tom

            William wrote:

            > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
            > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
            > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
            > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
            >
            > William F. Brna

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
              Julie,
              Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in Olsavica today.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

              > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
              > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
              > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
              > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
              > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
              > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
              > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
              > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
              > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
              > line.
              >

              > Julie from California

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                Julie,
                The 1995 Slovak Cenus listed only 23 Bel’ak in 9 places. Olsavica had 1. One of the issues is the use of dialect marks now. The Olsavica listing had just the Bel’ak spelling. By the 2005 phonebook listings there are 5 Bel’ak in Olsavica. The village with the most is Lesenice that has close to 20 in the “05 telephone listings.

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                > line.
                >

                > Julie from California

              • Julie Mark
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                  Thank you Curt! Would you mind checking for the name Mitro/Metro?

                  , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                  > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the
                  few
                  > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her
                  brother
                  > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                  > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                  > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                  > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                  > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                  > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                  > line.
                  >

                  > Julie from California
                  >

                  > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  ] On
                  > Behalf Of creativelr
                  > Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:13 PM
                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: Re: [S-R] Hroncak-Holovac Church Records: Translation
                  >

                  > Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We
                  are
                  > now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and
                  > triple Surnames make any sense.
                  >
                  > WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not
                  as
                  > many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast
                  > majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and
                  > why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.
                  >
                  > Linda in Chicagoland, USA
                  >
                  > William wrote:
                  >
                  > > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
                  > > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
                  > > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
                  > > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
                  > >
                  > > William F. Brna

                • Julie Mark
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                    Thank you for the info!

                    The 1995 Slovak Cenus listed only 23 Bel’ak in 9 places. Olsavica had 1. One of the issues is the use of dialect marks now. The Olsavica listing had just the Bel’ak spelling. By the 2005 phonebook listings there are 5 Bel’ak in Olsavica. The village with the most is Lesenice that has close to 20 in the “05 telephone listings.

                    Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in Olsavica today.

                    Curt B.

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                    > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                    > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                    > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                    > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                    > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                    > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                    > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                    > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                    > line.
                    >

                    > Julie from California

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                      1995 Census; Mitro, 536 listings in 105 locations. Top 10 Listed below. All of the “okr.”/okres/counties are close to one another
                      Priezvisko MITRO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 536×, celkový počet lokalít: 105, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                      ČAŇA, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 25×;
                      ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 25×;
                      STRÁŽSKE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 24×;
                      DARGOVSKÝCH HRDINOV (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 22×;
                      KOMÁROVCE, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 20×;
                      ORECHOVÁ, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) – 19×;
                      BERNÁTOVCE (obec VALALIKY), okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 18×;
                      MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 15×;
                      PORÚBKA, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) – 15×;
                      STAKČÍN, okr. HUMENNÉ (od r. 1996 SNINA) – 15×;
                      Metro is a word, put not a surname in the 1995 Census.
                      Thank you Curt! Would you mind checking for the name Mitro/Metro?

                      Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in
                      Olsavica today.

                      Curt B.

                      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                      , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                      > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the
                      few
                      > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her
                      brother
                      > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                      > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                      > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                      > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                      > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                      > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                      > line.
                      >

                      > Julie from California
                      >

                      > From: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We
                      are
                      > now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and
                      > triple Surnames make any sense.
                      >
                      > WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not
                      as
                      > many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast
                      > majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and
                      > why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.
                      >
                      > Linda in Chicagoland, USA
                      >
                      > William wrote:
                      >
                      > > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
                      > > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
                      > > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
                      > > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
                      > >
                      > > William F. Brna

                    • creativelr
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 5, 2011
                        Hi Julie,

                        Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm on Digest version for email. Olsavica is in what is now called PRESOV County, formerly Szepes, in Spis County. You will not find the records online; but you can order them from your local FHC. You'll notice below all the different spellings of Kohan (same as what we had) and Bellak. Don't be so stuck on the names being exact because even in the US, the census records have different spellings of many names and it's the same people. Once you compare dates and names, things start to make more sense. If I had been insistent on sticking with only HRONCHAK, I never would have found my family (spelled most often Hroncak with a Ulej attached among other names!)

                        Also, make sure you know which religion because that also determines which film to request. For example, I have a great-great-gma who was Lutheran. The rest of the family was Greek Catholic. We are looking in a larger town and looking at where the children were married (and the religion of spouse) and where their children were baptized. Like someone said, it's a mystery that never ends. But a fun one because the players are related to you! Happy hunting. - Linda

                        Oľšavica
                        Olsavica includes former villages: | Podproc |
                        | SURNAMES from current phonebook in 2005 | SURNAMES from CENSUS in 1715 |

                        OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                        1773 Olsavicza, Olschawitz, Olssawicza, 1786 Olyschawicza, 1808 Olsavicza, Olysavicza, Olssawica, 1863–1902 Olsavica, 1907–1913 Nagyolsva, 1920 Olšavica, 1927– Oľšavica
                        Podproč: 1773 Podprocs, Podprócz, 1786 Podprocz, 1808 Podprocs, Podprotsch, Podproč, 1863 Podprócs, 1873–1888 Podprocs, 1892–1895 Lazonp[at]ak, 1898–1913 Lazonpatak
                        POPULATION of Olsavica in 2005: 312 inhabitants

                        SURNAMES in 2005 (the first 100 most common surnames of the village(town)):
                        note: all below surnames are listed by slovak, english and hungarian spelling

                        Adamko Adamko Adamko Anderák Anderak Anderak Anderáková Anderakova Anderakova Beľak Belak Belyak Beľaková Belakova Belyakova Beľáková Belakova Belyakova Beličak Belicak Belicsak Beličák Belicak Belicsak Beličáková Belicakova Belicsakova Biroščak Biroscak Biroscsak Biroščák Biroscak Biroscsak Biroščaková Biroscakova Biroscsakova Brindza Brindza Brindza Brindzová Brindzova Brindzova Bryndza Bryndza Bryndza Bryndzová Bryndzova Bryndzova Demo Demo Demo Demočko Democko Democsko...... Kochan Kochan Kohan Kochanová Kochanova Kohanova Korchňak Korchnak Korhnyak Korchňaková Korchnakova Korhnyakova Korchňáková Korchnakova Korhnyakova Kuľbák Kulbak Kulybak Kuľbáková Kulbakova Kulybakova Lopatka Lopatka Lopatka Lopatková