Re: Hroncak-Holovac Church Records: Translation

  • creativelr
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
      Curt B Wrote:
      Is this one of those cases where the Ulej name was ultimately dropped and the "alias" was adopted to make the distinction clear?

      Hi Curt, and everyone else.... it just might be, maybe you, or someone else can tell me.

      Here is what we DID have on the American side:

      Basil Hronchak & Anna Holovac married in Slovakia and had 8 living children there. ALL came to the United States (have not gotten immigration papers on them yet).

      All 8 children had just the Surname of Hronchak.

      Yet, this is what we found for each in the Olsavica Church Record Books:

      Marriage Record:

      Basilius Ulej-Hroncak (son of Georgii) m. Anna Holovac (daughter of Joannes)

      1869 Maria b. to Basilius Ulej Hroncak & Anna Holovac

      1872 George b. to Basilius Ulej-Hroncak & Anna Ulej-Holovac d. Dec 1875

      1874 Anna b. to Basilius Ulej Hroncak & Anna Ulej Holovac

      1877 Martha b. to Basilius Ulej-Vaszko & Anna Ulej-Holovacs
      1879 Elizabeth b. to Basilius-Ulej-Vaszko Hroncsak & Anna Ulej-Holovacs
      1881 Catherina b. to Basilius Ulej-Vaszko & Anna Ulej-Holovacs
      1887 Helena b. to Basilius Vaszko & Anna Ulej-Holovacs
      1891 Basil b. to Basilius Ulej-Vaszko & Anna Ulej-Holovacs

      The VASZKO did not show up in the records until Martha, and if you look at Elasebetha (Elizabeth's) record, she has ALL the SURNAMES attached. And, the VASZKO was only on Basilius' name, not Anna's. Anna just continued with the Ulej-Holovacs.

      By the time they reached the U.S. just the Hroncak and Holovac names were used/mentioned.

      Does anyone have an explanation for this sort of naming practice? I had read that in these small villages some would often take on the name of the person they worked for. Could this have been the case? I have asked my cousin to go through all the pages and look for ALL the Ulej's to see if some sort of pattern appears.

      We know for sure the above named are our family and we were all told they were siblings with the same parents. We are from Anna's line and have her birth record also.

      Another interesting thing is that her future spouse, Nicholas was also born in Olsavica one day after Anna (the family story was they were born on the same day).

      HIS SURNAME in America was Kesslak with mother's maiden name of Kohan.

      The Church Record Book has him born to Stephanus Keselak Kurty and Anna Kochan.

      So, again, I have TWO SURNAMES when I thought I only had one. There are about 128 Keselak's in this village (about 1/3 the population) and there are other combinations with Keselak (Hunta, Demo, Vety,Kurty).

      I also notice other Surnames with Ulej (Tremko, Tabak to name a few).

      Any insights anyone can provide will surely help as we continue to sort out who is who in Olsavica.

      Thanks again!

      Linda
    • William
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
        On 10/1/2011 5:23 PM, creativelr wrote:

        > HI everyone,
        >
        > I am new to the group and just beginning our search through the
        > Olsavica Church records. My cousin and I have identified most of our
        > family in this village.
        >
        > I have uploaded 4 files into a Hroncak Holovac Church Records Folder
        > in this group.
        >
        > I would appreciate any translations on these, specifically, on the
        > RIGHT pages in the 'Observations" fields - we do not, or cannot
        > understand what it written.
        >
        > Here is a link to that folder:

        > I would greatly appreciate any help anyone if able to give. We have
        > lots of people and pages to go through so I'm sure this will not be
        > the last time I ask for help.
        >
        > Thank you in advance.
        >
        > Linda in Chicagoland, USA

        If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
        pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
        present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
        making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.

        William F. Brna

      • creativelr
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
          Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We are now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and triple Surnames make any sense.

          WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not as many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.

          Linda in Chicagoland, USA

          William wrote:

          > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
          > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
          > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
          > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
          >
          > William F. Brna

        • Julie Mark
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
            Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
            Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
            documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
            married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
            great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
            Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
            differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
            Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
            Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
            line.

            Julie from California

            William wrote:

            > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
            > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
            > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
            > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
            >
            > William F. Brna

          • tom geiss
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
              On my map I see an OLSAVICA a little north of Spisske podhradie, in Eastern Slovakia.
              Tom

              William wrote:

              > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
              > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
              > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
              > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
              >
              > William F. Brna

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                Julie,
                Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in Olsavica today.

                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                > line.
                >

                > Julie from California

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                  Julie,
                  The 1995 Slovak Cenus listed only 23 Bel’ak in 9 places. Olsavica had 1. One of the issues is the use of dialect marks now. The Olsavica listing had just the Bel’ak spelling. By the 2005 phonebook listings there are 5 Bel’ak in Olsavica. The village with the most is Lesenice that has close to 20 in the “05 telephone listings.

                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                  > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                  > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                  > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                  > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                  > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                  > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                  > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                  > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                  > line.
                  >

                  > Julie from California

                • Julie Mark
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                    Thank you Curt! Would you mind checking for the name Mitro/Metro?

                    , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                    > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the
                    few
                    > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her
                    brother
                    > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                    > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                    > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                    > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                    > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                    > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                    > line.
                    >

                    > Julie from California
                    >

                    > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                    ] On
                    > Behalf Of creativelr
                    > Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:13 PM
                    > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [S-R] Hroncak-Holovac Church Records: Translation
                    >

                    > Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We
                    are
                    > now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and
                    > triple Surnames make any sense.
                    >
                    > WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not
                    as
                    > many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast
                    > majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and
                    > why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.
                    >
                    > Linda in Chicagoland, USA
                    >
                    > William wrote:
                    >
                    > > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
                    > > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
                    > > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
                    > > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
                    > >
                    > > William F. Brna

                  • Julie Mark
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                      Thank you for the info!

                      The 1995 Slovak Cenus listed only 23 Bel’ak in 9 places. Olsavica had 1. One of the issues is the use of dialect marks now. The Olsavica listing had just the Bel’ak spelling. By the 2005 phonebook listings there are 5 Bel’ak in Olsavica. The village with the most is Lesenice that has close to 20 in the “05 telephone listings.

                      Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in Olsavica today.

                      Curt B.

                      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                      > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                      > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                      > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                      > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                      > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                      > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                      > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                      > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                      > line.
                      >

                      > Julie from California

                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                        1995 Census; Mitro, 536 listings in 105 locations. Top 10 Listed below. All of the “okr.”/okres/counties are close to one another
                        Priezvisko MITRO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 536×, celkový počet lokalít: 105, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                        ČAŇA, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 25×;
                        ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 25×;
                        STRÁŽSKE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 24×;
                        DARGOVSKÝCH HRDINOV (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 22×;
                        KOMÁROVCE, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 20×;
                        ORECHOVÁ, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) – 19×;
                        BERNÁTOVCE (obec VALALIKY), okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 18×;
                        MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 15×;
                        PORÚBKA, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) – 15×;
                        STAKČÍN, okr. HUMENNÉ (od r. 1996 SNINA) – 15×;
                        Metro is a word, put not a surname in the 1995 Census.
                        Thank you Curt! Would you mind checking for the name Mitro/Metro?

                        Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in
                        Olsavica today.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                        > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the
                        few
                        > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her
                        brother
                        > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                        > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                        > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                        > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                        > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                        > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                        > line.
                        >

                        > Julie from California
                        >

                        > From: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We
                        are
                        > now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and
                        > triple Surnames make any sense.
                        >
                        > WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not
                        as
                        > many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast
                        > majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and
                        > why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.
                        >
                        > Linda in Chicagoland, USA
                        >
                        > William wrote:
                        >
                        > > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
                        > > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
                        > > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
                        > > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
                        > >
                        > > William F. Brna

                      • creativelr
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 5, 2011
                          Hi Julie,

                          Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm on Digest version for email. Olsavica is in what is now called PRESOV County, formerly Szepes, in Spis County. You will not find the records online; but you can order them from your local FHC. You'll notice below all the different spellings of Kohan (same as what we had) and Bellak. Don't be so stuck on the names being exact because even in the US, the census records have different spellings of many names and it's the same people. Once you compare dates and names, things start to make more sense. If I had been insistent on sticking with only HRONCHAK, I never would have found my family (spelled most often Hroncak with a Ulej attached among other names!)

                          Also, make sure you know which religion because that also determines which film to request. For example, I have a great-great-gma who was Lutheran. The rest of the family was Greek Catholic. We are looking in a larger town and looking at where the children were married (and the religion of spouse) and where their children were baptized. Like someone said, it's a mystery that never ends. But a fun one because the players are related to you! Happy hunting. - Linda

                          Oľšavica
                          Olsavica includes former villages: | Podproc |
                          | SURNAMES from current phonebook in 2005 | SURNAMES from CENSUS in 1715 |

                          OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                          1773 Olsavicza, Olschawitz, Olssawicza, 1786 Olyschawicza, 1808 Olsavicza, Olysavicza, Olssawica, 1863–1902 Olsavica, 1907–1913 Nagyolsva, 1920 Olšavica, 1927– Oľšavica
                          Podproč: 1773 Podprocs, Podprócz, 1786 Podprocz, 1808 Podprocs, Podprotsch, Podproč, 1863 Podprócs, 1873–1888 Podprocs, 1892–1895 Lazonp[at]ak, 1898–1913 Lazonpatak
                          POPULATION of Olsavica in 2005: 312 inhabitants

                          SURNAMES in 2005 (the first 100 most common surnames of the village(town)):
                          note: all below surnames are listed by slovak, english and hungarian spelling

                          Adamko Adamko Adamko Anderák Anderak Anderak Anderáková Anderakova Anderakova Beľak Belak Belyak Beľaková Belakova Belyakova Beľáková Belakova Belyakova Beličak Belicak Belicsak Beličák Belicak Belicsak Beličáková Belicakova Belicsakova Biroščak Biroscak Biroscsak Biroščák Biroscak Biroscsak Biroščaková Biroscakova Biroscsakova Brindza Brindza Brindza Brindzová Brindzova Brindzova Bryndza Bryndza Bryndza Bryndzová Bryndzova Bryndzova Demo Demo Demo Demočko Democko Democsko...... Kochan Kochan Kohan Kochanová Kochanova Kohanova Korchňak Korchnak Korhnyak Korchňaková Korchnakova Korhnyakova Korchňáková Korchnakova Korhnyakova Kuľbák Kulbak Kulybak Kuľbáková Kulbakova Kulybakova Lopatka Lopatka Lopatka Lopatková