Re: Hroncak-Holovac Church Records: Translation

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2011
      Linda,
      On the marriage record it says:
      They recieved a [ecclesiastical] dispensation [for marriage] for blood relationship (consanguinity) in the third degree on 23 oct. 1869 dispensation number 1419.

      They were second cousins. Dispensations were required for relationships to the fourth degree of consanguinity until 1917. But it was not difficult to get the dispensation. It was just granted by the pastor in relationships of the third and fourth degree, and then send to the diocese. Second degree consanguinity required the dispensation of a bishop. First degree consanguinity marriage[brothers and sisters] was not allowed.

      I believe that first and second degree consanguinity were also forbidden by civil law as well though the degrees beyond that were calculated somewhat differently.

      Curt B.
      mere dispensed--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "creativelr" <CreativeLR@...> wrote:

      > HI everyone,
      >
      > I am new to the group and just beginning our search through the Olsavica Church records. My cousin and I have identified most of our family in this village.
      >
      > I have uploaded 4 files into a Hroncak Holovac Church Records Folder in this group.
      >
      > I would appreciate any translations on these, specifically, on the RIGHT pages in the 'Observations" fields - we do not, or cannot understand what it written.
      >
      > Here is a link to that folder:

      > I would greatly appreciate any help anyone if able to give. We have lots of people and pages to go through so I'm sure this will not be the last time I ask for help.
      >
      > Thank you in advance.
      >
      > Linda in Chicagoland, USA

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 1, 2011
        Linda,
        On the second record the note reads:

        1879 26 February [the entry] was revised by Georgius Toth, dean.

        It is hard to tell without seeing the original register, but the ink seems to indicate that the name of the parents was revised providing more ancestral detail. Since all these people were of the same family - Ulej, they all had alias names added to show the branch of the family, and some needed dispensations to get married because of the degree of relationship. Is this one of those cases where the Ulej name was ultimately dropped and the "alias" was adopted to make the distinction clear?

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "creativelr" <CreativeLR@...> wrote:

        > HI everyone,
        >
        > I am new to the group and just beginning our search through the Olsavica Church records. My cousin and I have identified most of our family in this village.
        >
        > I have uploaded 4 files into a Hroncak Holovac Church Records Folder in this group.
        >
        > I would appreciate any translations on these, specifically, on the RIGHT pages in the 'Observations" fields - we do not, or cannot understand what it written.
        >
        > Here is a link to that folder:

        > I would greatly appreciate any help anyone if able to give. We have lots of people and pages to go through so I'm sure this will not be the last time I ask for help.
        >
        > Thank you in advance.
        >
        > Linda in Chicagoland, USA

      • creativelr
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
          Curt B Wrote:
          Is this one of those cases where the Ulej name was ultimately dropped and the "alias" was adopted to make the distinction clear?

          Hi Curt, and everyone else.... it just might be, maybe you, or someone else can tell me.

          Here is what we DID have on the American side:

          Basil Hronchak & Anna Holovac married in Slovakia and had 8 living children there. ALL came to the United States (have not gotten immigration papers on them yet).

          All 8 children had just the Surname of Hronchak.

          Yet, this is what we found for each in the Olsavica Church Record Books:

          Marriage Record:

          Basilius Ulej-Hroncak (son of Georgii) m. Anna Holovac (daughter of Joannes)

          1869 Maria b. to Basilius Ulej Hroncak & Anna Holovac

          1872 George b. to Basilius Ulej-Hroncak & Anna Ulej-Holovac d. Dec 1875

          1874 Anna b. to Basilius Ulej Hroncak & Anna Ulej Holovac

          1877 Martha b. to Basilius Ulej-Vaszko & Anna Ulej-Holovacs
          1879 Elizabeth b. to Basilius-Ulej-Vaszko Hroncsak & Anna Ulej-Holovacs
          1881 Catherina b. to Basilius Ulej-Vaszko & Anna Ulej-Holovacs
          1887 Helena b. to Basilius Vaszko & Anna Ulej-Holovacs
          1891 Basil b. to Basilius Ulej-Vaszko & Anna Ulej-Holovacs

          The VASZKO did not show up in the records until Martha, and if you look at Elasebetha (Elizabeth's) record, she has ALL the SURNAMES attached. And, the VASZKO was only on Basilius' name, not Anna's. Anna just continued with the Ulej-Holovacs.

          By the time they reached the U.S. just the Hroncak and Holovac names were used/mentioned.

          Does anyone have an explanation for this sort of naming practice? I had read that in these small villages some would often take on the name of the person they worked for. Could this have been the case? I have asked my cousin to go through all the pages and look for ALL the Ulej's to see if some sort of pattern appears.

          We know for sure the above named are our family and we were all told they were siblings with the same parents. We are from Anna's line and have her birth record also.

          Another interesting thing is that her future spouse, Nicholas was also born in Olsavica one day after Anna (the family story was they were born on the same day).

          HIS SURNAME in America was Kesslak with mother's maiden name of Kohan.

          The Church Record Book has him born to Stephanus Keselak Kurty and Anna Kochan.

          So, again, I have TWO SURNAMES when I thought I only had one. There are about 128 Keselak's in this village (about 1/3 the population) and there are other combinations with Keselak (Hunta, Demo, Vety,Kurty).

          I also notice other Surnames with Ulej (Tremko, Tabak to name a few).

          Any insights anyone can provide will surely help as we continue to sort out who is who in Olsavica.

          Thanks again!

          Linda
        • William
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
            On 10/1/2011 5:23 PM, creativelr wrote:

            > HI everyone,
            >
            > I am new to the group and just beginning our search through the
            > Olsavica Church records. My cousin and I have identified most of our
            > family in this village.
            >
            > I have uploaded 4 files into a Hroncak Holovac Church Records Folder
            > in this group.
            >
            > I would appreciate any translations on these, specifically, on the
            > RIGHT pages in the 'Observations" fields - we do not, or cannot
            > understand what it written.
            >
            > Here is a link to that folder:

            > I would greatly appreciate any help anyone if able to give. We have
            > lots of people and pages to go through so I'm sure this will not be
            > the last time I ask for help.
            >
            > Thank you in advance.
            >
            > Linda in Chicagoland, USA

            If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
            pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
            present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
            making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.

            William F. Brna

          • creativelr
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 2, 2011
              Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We are now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and triple Surnames make any sense.

              WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not as many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.

              Linda in Chicagoland, USA

              William wrote:

              > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
              > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
              > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
              > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
              >
              > William F. Brna

            • Julie Mark
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                line.

                Julie from California

                William wrote:

                > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
                > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
                > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
                > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
                >
                > William F. Brna

              • tom geiss
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                  On my map I see an OLSAVICA a little north of Spisske podhradie, in Eastern Slovakia.
                  Tom

                  William wrote:

                  > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
                  > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
                  > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
                  > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
                  >
                  > William F. Brna

                • CurtB
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                    Julie,
                    Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in Olsavica today.

                    Curt B.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                    > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                    > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                    > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                    > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                    > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                    > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                    > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                    > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                    > line.
                    >

                    > Julie from California

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                      Julie,
                      The 1995 Slovak Cenus listed only 23 Bel’ak in 9 places. Olsavica had 1. One of the issues is the use of dialect marks now. The Olsavica listing had just the Bel’ak spelling. By the 2005 phonebook listings there are 5 Bel’ak in Olsavica. The village with the most is Lesenice that has close to 20 in the “05 telephone listings.

                      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                      > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                      > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                      > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                      > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                      > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                      > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                      > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                      > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                      > line.
                      >

                      > Julie from California

                    • Julie Mark
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                        Thank you Curt! Would you mind checking for the name Mitro/Metro?

                        , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                        > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the
                        few
                        > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her
                        brother
                        > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                        > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                        > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                        > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                        > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                        > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                        > line.
                        >

                        > Julie from California
                        >

                        > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        ] On
                        > Behalf Of creativelr
                        > Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:13 PM
                        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Subject: Re: [S-R] Hroncak-Holovac Church Records: Translation
                        >

                        > Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We
                        are
                        > now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and
                        > triple Surnames make any sense.
                        >
                        > WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not
                        as
                        > many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast
                        > majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and
                        > why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.
                        >
                        > Linda in Chicagoland, USA
                        >
                        > William wrote:
                        >
                        > > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
                        > > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
                        > > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
                        > > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
                        > >
                        > > William F. Brna

                      • Julie Mark
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                          Thank you for the info!

                          The 1995 Slovak Cenus listed only 23 Bel’ak in 9 places. Olsavica had 1. One of the issues is the use of dialect marks now. The Olsavica listing had just the Bel’ak spelling. By the 2005 phonebook listings there are 5 Bel’ak in Olsavica. The village with the most is Lesenice that has close to 20 in the “05 telephone listings.

                          Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in Olsavica today.

                          Curt B.

                          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                          > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the few
                          > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her brother
                          > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                          > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                          > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                          > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                          > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                          > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                          > line.
                          >

                          > Julie from California

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 4, 2011
                            1995 Census; Mitro, 536 listings in 105 locations. Top 10 Listed below. All of the “okr.”/okres/counties are close to one another
                            Priezvisko MITRO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 536×, celkový počet lokalít: 105, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                            ČAŇA, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 25×;
                            ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 25×;
                            STRÁŽSKE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 24×;
                            DARGOVSKÝCH HRDINOV (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 22×;
                            KOMÁROVCE, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 20×;
                            ORECHOVÁ, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) – 19×;
                            BERNÁTOVCE (obec VALALIKY), okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 18×;
                            MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 15×;
                            PORÚBKA, okr. MICHALOVCE (od r. 1996 SOBRANCE) – 15×;
                            STAKČÍN, okr. HUMENNÉ (od r. 1996 SNINA) – 15×;
                            Metro is a word, put not a surname in the 1995 Census.
                            Thank you Curt! Would you mind checking for the name Mitro/Metro?

                            Perhaps so, there are still Bel'ak [spelled with the soft l] family in
                            Olsavica today.

                            Curt B.

                            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                            , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Linda - what county is Olsavica in? I have a great grandmother named
                            > Elizabeth Kohan (this is the only spelling I have ever seen of it on the
                            few
                            > documents I have, as well as her tombstone) and I'm pretty sure her
                            brother
                            > married a girl from Olsavica. I have never determined where in Slovakia my
                            > great grandmother came from (as immigration records and census entries say
                            > Austria/Hungary) but now I'm thinking maybe she spelled her name
                            > differently. There is also confusion as to if she was born here (in
                            > Cleveland) or over in Slovakia. Her father's last name was Bellack.
                            > Thought I might look through some Olsavica records but can't find them on
                            > line.
                            >

                            > Julie from California
                            >

                            > From: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > Thanks for the offer, William, but I think CurtB covered everything. We
                            are
                            > now looking at all the names in Olsavica and seeing if these double and
                            > triple Surnames make any sense.
                            >
                            > WQe have Holovacs, and Kochans more prevalent than the Hroncaks, but not
                            as
                            > many as the Keselaks. If we add the Ulejs I think we've covered the vast
                            > majority of the town. I still would love to know where Vaszko comes in and
                            > why. I still don't even know where the Ulej came from.
                            >
                            > Linda in Chicagoland, USA
                            >
                            > William wrote:
                            >
                            > > If you will be kind enough to type the data, as written, I will be
                            > > pleased to furnish you with a translation. Unfortunately, at the
                            > > present time, I am unable to access yahoo. You need not be afraid of
                            > > making any mistakes, such as an error in transcription.
                            > >
                            > > William F. Brna

                          • creativelr
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 5, 2011
                              Hi Julie,

                              Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm on Digest version for email. Olsavica is in what is now called PRESOV County, formerly Szepes, in Spis County. You will not find the records online; but you can order them from your local FHC. You'll notice below all the different spellings of Kohan (same as what we had) and Bellak. Don't be so stuck on the names being exact because even in the US, the census records have different spellings of many names and it's the same people. Once you compare dates and names, things start to make more sense. If I had been insistent on sticking with only HRONCHAK, I never would have found my family (spelled most often Hroncak with a Ulej attached among other names!)

                              Also, make sure you know which religion because that also determines which film to request. For example, I have a great-great-gma who was Lutheran. The rest of the family was Greek Catholic. We are looking in a larger town and looking at where the children were married (and the religion of spouse) and where their children were baptized. Like someone said, it's a mystery that never ends. But a fun one because the players are related to you! Happy hunting. - Linda

                              Oľšavica
                              Olsavica includes former villages: | Podproc |
                              | SURNAMES from current phonebook in 2005 | SURNAMES from CENSUS in 1715 |

                              OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                              1773 Olsavicza, Olschawitz, Olssawicza, 1786 Olyschawicza, 1808 Olsavicza, Olysavicza, Olssawica, 1863–1902 Olsavica, 1907–1913 Nagyolsva, 1920 Olšavica, 1927– Oľšavica
                              Podproč: 1773 Podprocs, Podprócz, 1786 Podprocz, 1808 Podprocs, Podprotsch, Podproč, 1863 Podprócs, 1873–1888 Podprocs, 1892–1895 Lazonp[at]ak, 1898–1913 Lazonpatak
                              POPULATION of Olsavica in 2005: 312 inhabitants

                              SURNAMES in 2005 (the first 100 most common surnames of the village(town)):
                              note: all below surnames are listed by slovak, english and hungarian spelling

                              Adamko Adamko Adamko Anderák Anderak Anderak Anderáková Anderakova Anderakova Beľak Belak Belyak Beľaková Belakova Belyakova Beľáková Belakova Belyakova Beličak Belicak Belicsak Beličák Belicak Belicsak Beličáková Belicakova Belicsakova Biroščak Biroscak Biroscsak Biroščák Biroscak Biroscsak Biroščaková Biroscakova Biroscsakova Brindza Brindza Brindza Brindzová Brindzova Brindzova Bryndza Bryndza Bryndza Bryndzová Bryndzova Bryndzova Demo Demo Demo Demočko Democko Democsko...... Kochan Kochan Kohan Kochanová Kochanova Kohanova Korchňak Korchnak Korhnyak Korchňaková Korchnakova Korhnyakova Korchňáková Korchnakova Korhnyakova Kuľbák Kulbak Kulybak Kuľbáková Kulbakova Kulybakova Lopatka Lopatka Lopatka Lopatková