Re: Immigrants from Brezova pod Bradlom

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2011
      Anabeth,

      I faced the same problem, primarily with at least three Zavodie in Slovakia or close variations. (Medzebrodie is another)

      I solved the problem by cutting and pasting search results to a spreadsheet, creating a separate tab for each spelling. That allowed me to go through the mechanics of the search and paste quickly, and later look more carefully to see if two variations were of one village or if one particular tab was out of my area of interest. There is also a tab for notes and clarifications as distinctions are developed. (Palocszulin turned out to be Maly Sulin, among other variations).

      Ron
      PS I have always liked spreadsheets over databases, so I work with the tool that is easiest for me.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Anabeth Dollins <anabeth@...> wrote:

      > Frank --
      >
      > I made a list similar to yours for Brezova pod Bradlom:
      > http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/genealogy/Brezova immigrants.html
      >
      > The problem is that there are many villages whose names are similar: Brezovo
      > in Bulgaria; several towns named Brezova -- and one named Brezove -- in the
      > Czech Republic; Brezov, two Brezovas, and three Brezovos in Slovakia;
      > Brezovo in Macedonia; Brezova and Brezovo in Slovenia; and two Brezovas in
      > Serbia. My list no doubt includes names from these places, too.
      >
      > Anabeth Dollins
      >
      > On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 8:22 AM, <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > A study of the number of individuals who migrated from Kosicka' Bela' to
      > > America during the years 1892-1924.
      > >
      > > The population of the village of Kosicka' Bela' for each of the census
      > > years
      > > was as follows:
      > > 1890 = 1066
      > > 1900 = 911
      > > 1910 = 880
      > > 1921 = 768
      > > 1930 = 757
      > > The population census data comes from Vlastivedn=FD Slovn=EDk Obc=ED na
      > > Slovensku, 1977, Bratislava.
      > >
      > > During that same period of time the following number of individuals
      > > Migrated
      > > to America.
      > > 1892-1899 = 104
      > > 1900-1909 = 265
      > > 1910-1920 = 131
      > > 1921-1929 = 12

    • Elizabeth Tjomsland
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2011
        Anabeth,
        I haven't been able to access your list.  The message is "V\The requested URL /axd2/genealogy/Brezova was not found on this server."
        Help??
        Liz

        ________________________________
        I made a list similar to yours for Brezova pod Bradlom:
        http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/genealogy/Brezova immigrants.html

        The problem is that there are many villages whose names are similar: Brezovo
        in Bulgaria; several towns named Brezova -- and one named Brezove -- in the
        Czech Republic; Brezov, two Brezovas, and three Brezovos in Slovakia;
        Brezovo in Macedonia; Brezova and Brezovo in Slovenia; and two Brezovas in
        Serbia. My list no doubt includes names from these places, too.

        Anabeth Dollins

        On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 8:22 AM, <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > A study of the number of individuals who migrated from Kosicka' Bela' to
        > America during the years 1892-1924.
        >
        > The population of the village of Kosicka' Bela' for each of the census
        > years
        > was as follows:
        > 1890 = 1066
        > 1900 = 911
        > 1910 = 880
        > 1921 = 768
        > 1930 = 757
        > The population census data comes from Vlastivedn=FD Slovn=EDk Obc=ED na
        > Slovensku, 1977, Bratislava.
        >
        > During that same period of time the following number of individuals
        > Migrated
        > to America.
        > 1892-1899 = 104
        > 1900-1909 = 265
        > 1910-1920 = 131
        > 1921-1929 = 12

      • Anabeth Dollins
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2011
          The email omitted a portion of the URL, Liz. Try this:

          http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/genealogy/Brezova%20immigrants.html

          Anabeth

          PS: There's a link to this page on our Brezova Yahoo group in the Links
          section.

          <http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/genealogy/Brezova>