Hello

  • Marsha Sumner
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 22, 2001
      Hello Maura, and everyone,

      I'm brand new to the list, and very excited to be here. I'm primarily an
      avid genealogist, always seeking answers to the new questions that my
      research presents, and, based on what I have already learned, am always
      willing to share any hard-won information that I have.

      I have extensive birth, marriage, and death records from Greek Catholic
      Church records of Svidnik, present day Slovakia, (NNE corner). My maternal
      grandparents, MICHAL POLOVCSIK and HELENA BORSCS FECZUS emigrated from this
      town in 1909 and 1911, respectively, to Syracuse, NY. There was work here,
      on the New York Central Railroad .

      I have limited GC info (birth, marriage, and death records) from Ladomirova,
      Krajne Csierno, and Hrabovcsik.

      My personal "bump in the road" is finding my maternal Great Grandmother's
      birth record. Her family name was KRESTINA (CHRISTINA) CZUPER (CUPRISSIN,
      CUPER). I know almost everything else about her, except this piece. I
      think she may have been born in the Hrabovcsik area, because her second
      marriage, as a young widow, was to JOSEPH BORSCS vulgo FECZUS (from Svidnik,
      and also a widower), in Hrabovcsik. Her parents were listed as GEORGY
      CZUPRISIN and HELENA MOTILY. Her first marriage was to GEORGY HALAJKO
      (HALYKO), from Hrabovcsik, date unknown. Hrabovcsik GC records, LDS film #
      1792099 only runs from 1870 to 1895. CHRISTINA and GEORGY had one son,
      GEORGY, born in Hrabovcsik in 1876. GEORGY HALAJKO (HALYCSISIN) Sr, died in
      Hrabovcsik, age 31, in 1876, therefore, he was born ~ 1845--where oh where
      will I find his birth record?

      CHRISTINA was 23 years old and a widow, when she married JOSEPH BORSCS vulgo
      FECZUS, in Hrabovcsik, in 1878--therefore, she was born ~ 1855.

      I have checked the Hungarian census of 1869, but, unfortunately, children
      were not enumerated by name, in Saris, this time.

      JOSEPH's first wife was ANNA KUZEMKA (KISINKA?). This is definitely not a
      Svidnik surname. JOSEPH and CHRISTINA had 7 children, in Svidnik. My
      grandmother, HELENA nata BORSCS vulgo FECZUS, was born in 1888 , the third
      child of that union.

      CHRISTINA died in Svidnik in 1898, age 47, 4 days after giving birth to her
      last daughter, EVA, (who died at age 15 days). I can't officially move
      beyond this generation without CHRISTINA's birth record.

      I have studied films of GC records from Rovne, Mlynarovce, Jedlova(s), Nizny
      Orlik, and Vishny Orlik. I'm really stumped--am always like a dog with a
      bone, unwilling to give up, and determined to unravel this one. Help?

      Marsha
    • n.subik@uea.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 24, 2001
        Hello! I am new to this group. My name is Nicole, and I am a 20 year-
        old college student. I am currently studying in the UK for a year.
        In the spring I plan on travelling to the old country, and I would
        like to see if I have any family over there. Here is what I know:
        My family (great-great grandparents, I think) came to America around
        the turn of the century from a small town near Brataslava. Many
        people from this town apparently came over at the same time and
        settled in the same area in Upstate New York. Not too many of the
        older Slovak people speak the language now-a-days, and most of my
        older relatives have passed away or I am not in close contact with.
        I know there must be many more Subiks left in Slovakia (possibly
        Czech Rep. as well), and I would like to at least find out where they
        live, or where they are concentrated. Does anyone know if I can
        access any kind of White pages on the internet that are not in
        Slovak? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      • Tim Skvarenina
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 24, 2001
          --- n.subik@... wrote:
          > Hello! I am new to this group. My name is Nicole,
          >
          > Does anyone
          > know if I can
          > access any kind of White pages on the internet that
          > are not in
          > Slovak? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
          > Thanks!

          Nicole,

          The following link has instructions for the online
          white pages and a link to it.

          http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/phone.html

          I think you have to enter a city however along with
          the name to get responses.

          Tim

          http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
        • jwm_579
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2004
            My name is Jerry Molchany. My Slovak families come from Jurske area (surnames = Molcsany, Mitura, Zentko). My great-grandfather Andrew Molcsany (Hungarian spelling) emigrated in 1892. His wife (Maria Bratko - village unknown) and son Andrew emigrated in 1895. They settled in the Lehigh Valley in PA. His brother Jacob and family emigrated around 1905. Another branch of Molchanys from Jurske settled in the Johnstown, PA area. My father's mother's father (George Budihaz) came from Kamenica nad Cirochou around 1886(surnames = Budias, Csabak, Tovarnjak, Schepelija). He married Maria Tabaka who emigrated in 1890 from Hlinne (surnames = Tabaka and Stredny). I have RC and GC records for Jurske from late 1700's to early 1900's. For Kamenica I only have RC records from about 1805 to 1843. If anyone has family from these areas I can do a quick search through my Excel files.
          • sandraljanu
            Message 5 of 22 , May 22, 2012
              My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for that surname in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc). However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin, but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to research my possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a direction I can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you so much.
            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                Hello Sandra,

                Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                Could it be Nagyladna?

                Peter M.

                On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old grandmother
                > of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my Hungarian
                > roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and Nagylonya,
                > Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and settled in
                > Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for that surname
                > in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc). However, I have been
                > led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin, but rather has its
                > roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to research my
                > possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a direction I
                > can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give
                > me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you
                > so much.

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                  Hmmm.. fallingrain has 1 entry: LONYA
                  http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/18/Lonya.html
                  It's right on the border of the Ukraine and is in fact in Hungary.
                  Wikipedia even has an article on it!
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B3nya

                  If I'm right, then we'll need to look at the chruch records for the main
                  parish church for the area in the LDS records.
                  Nagy and Kis are fairly common prefixes to towns meaning 'large 'and
                  'small', So Big Lonya and Small Lonya

                  Peter M.

                  On 22 May 2012 22:43, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Sandra,
                  >
                  > Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                  > Could it be Nagyladna?
                  >
                  > Peter M.
                  >

                  > On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                  >> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my
                  >> Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and
                  >> Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and
                  >> settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for
                  >> that surname in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc). However,
                  >> I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin, but rather
                  >> has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to research
                  >> my possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a
                  >> direction I can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be
                  >> able to give me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with
                  >> you. Thank you so much.

                • Sue Martin
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                    I haven't been able to find a different name for those places, but they are in Bereg district, which is now in the Ukraine.

                    Sue

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                      Yep. That's the place!
                      Here's confirmation from the website: http://www.lonya.hu/contents.php?id=8
                      Click the English flag top right if the page comes up in Hungarian.

                      "About L�nya

                      To get to L�nya go east from Benk and cross the river Tisza on a ferry
                      boat. It lies by the Ukrainian border in the northern-Bereg hills. The
                      visitor is welcomed by small huts, tradition-loving, hard-working people,
                      and wooden headboards on tombs with a poem on each one. According to the
                      folk legend shepherds and wood-carvers established the village in the Bereg
                      Tiszah�t region, and the largest landowner family - who played a great role
                      in the life of the county - named themselves L�nyay, after the name of the
                      village. Towards the end of the 14th century the settlement split into Kis
                      - and Nagyl�nya. The L�nyay family lived in Nagyl�nya in a fort or castle,
                      which was ruined either for political reason or by the family, or might
                      have been destroyed by the Turks in 1567. Kis and Nagyl�nya were united as
                      L�nya in 1934. The village used to lie closer to the river, but the
                      inhabitants had to move further up, to the current position, because of
                      frequent floods. Although the village was rebuilt, there are still a few
                      special barns left, the so-called alley-barns; these are characteristic,
                      because they were built lengthwise on the narrow, long strips of land
                      occupying the whole width of the yard, and forming a wall-like row of
                      barns. These barns can be seen in Kossuth or in �rp�d Street. Today, most
                      of the 900 inhabitants live by the main street and produce mainly wheat,
                      corn, sunflower seeds, apples, walnuts and plums."

                      On 22 May 2012 23:05, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                      > Hmmm.. fallingrain has 1 entry: LONYA
                      > http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/18/Lonya.html
                      > It's right on the border of the Ukraine and is in fact in Hungary.
                      > Wikipedia even has an article on it!
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B3nya
                      >
                      > If I'm right, then we'll need to look at the chruch records for the main
                      > parish church for the area in the LDS records.
                      > Nagy and Kis are fairly common prefixes to towns meaning 'large 'and
                      > 'small', So Big Lonya and Small Lonya
                      >
                      > Peter M.
                      >

                      > On 22 May 2012 22:43, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hello Sandra,
                      >>
                      >> Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                      >> Could it be Nagyladna?
                      >>
                      >> Peter M.
                      >>

                      >> On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> **
                      >>>

                      >>> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                      >>> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my
                      >>> Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and
                      >>> Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and
                      >>> settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for
                      >>> that surname in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc).
                      >>> However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin,
                      >>> but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to
                      >>> research my possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a
                      >>> direction I can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be
                      >>> able to give me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with
                      >>> you. Thank you so much.

                    • htcstech
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                        Hello Sandra,
                        I think I found your relatives in the LDS records.

                        Here's an excerpt:

                        Lidia Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-SDH>

                        Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                        baptism:21 Jun 1868Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,​ Kata
                        Egyed
                        Jósef Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-3BZ>

                        Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                        baptism:08 Feb 1871Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:Zsuzsánna Janu
                        Rozi Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-HZ3>

                        Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                        baptism:16 May 1871Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,
                        Katalin Egyed
                        Jósef Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-X2N>

                        Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                        baptism:17 Apr 1875Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,
                        Ersébet Gerö
                        Eszter Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-Q5Z>

                        Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                        baptism:30 Jan 1879Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,
                        Ersébet Gerö
                        János Janu <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKFB-C3V>

                        Hungary Reformed Church Christenings, 1624-1895
                        baptism:19 Sep 1876Kislónya,​ Bereg,​ Hungary parents:János Janu,
                        Ersébet Gerö As you can tell, there's lots of them.

                        The link is too long to paste, but start here: https://www.familysearch.org/
                        Then: Scroll down to Browse by Location and click Europe
                        Then find Hungary Reformed Church Christenings - click on that.
                        On the next page, just enter Janu.
                        I found the above exerpts on about page 4.

                        Good Luck!

                        Peter M.

                        PS Many of the other towns listed in these records are very close by Lonya.
                        Also note that Lonya has an accent mark above the o

                        On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old grandmother
                        > of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my Hungarian
                        > roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and Nagylonya,
                        > Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and settled in
                        > Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for that surname
                        > in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc). However, I have been
                        > led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin, but rather has its
                        > roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to research my
                        > possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a direction I
                        > can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give
                        > me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you
                        > so much.

                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                          Microfilms of Reformed church records are available 1778-1895. Roman
                          Catholic records would be found with Mezo-Kaszony. Greek Catholic are with
                          Sztrabicso (Strabycova, UK) and are not available.

                          According to Wikipedia, Janu is a Czech name. But the Czech Republic is a
                          long way from Lonya.

                          Janet

                          Click the English flag top right if the page comes up in Hungarian.

                          "About Lónya

                          To get to Lónya go east from Benk and cross the river Tisza on a ferry boat.
                          It lies by the Ukrainian border in the northern-Bereg hills. The visitor is
                          welcomed by small huts, tradition-loving, hard-working people, and wooden
                          headboards on tombs with a poem on each one. According to the folk legend
                          shepherds and wood-carvers established the village in the Bereg Tiszahát
                          region, and the largest landowner family - who played a great role in the
                          life of the county - named themselves Lónyay, after the name of the village.
                          Towards the end of the 14th century the settlement split into Kis
                          - and Nagylónya. The Lónyay family lived in Nagylónya in a fort or castle,
                          which was ruined either for political reason or by the family, or might have
                          been destroyed by the Turks in 1567. Kis and Nagylónya were united as Lónya
                          in 1934. The village used to lie closer to the river, but the inhabitants
                          had to move further up, to the current position, because of frequent floods.
                          Although the village was rebuilt, there are still a few special barns left,
                          the so-called alley-barns; these are characteristic, because they were built
                          lengthwise on the narrow, long strips of land occupying the whole width of
                          the yard, and forming a wall-like row of barns. These barns can be seen in
                          Kossuth or in Árpád Street. Today, most of the 900 inhabitants live by the
                          main street and produce mainly wheat, corn, sunflower seeds, apples, walnuts
                          and plums."

                          On 22 May 2012 23:05, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                          > Hmmm.. fallingrain has 1 entry: LONYA
                          > http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/18/Lonya.html
                          > It's right on the border of the Ukraine and is in fact in Hungary.
                          > Wikipedia even has an article on it!
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B3nya
                          >
                          > If I'm right, then we'll need to look at the chruch records for the
                          > main parish church for the area in the LDS records.
                          > Nagy and Kis are fairly common prefixes to towns meaning 'large 'and
                          > 'small', So Big Lonya and Small Lonya
                          >
                          > Peter M.
                          >

                          > On 22 May 2012 22:43, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hello Sandra,
                          >>
                          >> Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                          >> Could it be Nagyladna?
                          >>
                          >> Peter M.
                          >>

                          >> On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> **
                          >>>

                          >>> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                          >>> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research
                          >>> on my Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from
                          >>> Kislonya and Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the
                          >>> early 1900's and settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I
                          >>> have been searching for that surname in many online resources
                          (ancestry.com, LDS, etc).
                          >>> However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in
                          >>> origin, but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am
                          >>> stumped as to how to research my possible Slovakian roots. I am
                          >>> looking for any suggestions or a direction I can take. I would
                          >>> appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give me. I am
                          >>> new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you so
                          much.

                        • Tom Potsko
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                            Peter,
                            Where do you have an option to enter Janu once you select Hungary Reformed
                            Church Christenings? Usually you have to choose a village and browse the
                            collection. Is this unique to Hungarian records? Thanks, Tom

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                              There is one telephone listing for Janu, (in Eastern Slovakia),  Priekopa, East of Sobrance

                              ________________________________
                              Click the English flag top right if the page comes up in Hungarian.

                              "About Lónya

                              To get to Lónya go east from Benk and cross the river Tisza on a ferry
                              boat. It lies by the Ukrainian border in the northern-Bereg hills. The
                              visitor is welcomed by small huts, tradition-loving, hard-working people,
                              and wooden headboards on tombs with a poem on each one. According to the
                              folk legend shepherds and wood-carvers established the village in the Bereg
                              Tiszahát region, and the largest landowner family - who played a great role
                              in the life of the county - named themselves Lónyay, after the name of the
                              village. Towards the end of the 14th century the settlement split into Kis
                              - and Nagylónya. The Lónyay family lived in Nagylónya in a fort or castle,
                              which was ruined either for political reason or by the family, or might
                              have been destroyed by the Turks in 1567. Kis and Nagylónya were united as
                              Lónya in 1934. The village used to lie closer to the river, but the
                              inhabitants had to move further up, to the current position, because of
                              frequent floods. Although the village was rebuilt, there are still a few
                              special barns left, the so-called alley-barns; these are characteristic,
                              because they were built lengthwise on the narrow, long strips of land
                              occupying the whole width of the yard, and forming a wall-like row of
                              barns. These barns can be seen in Kossuth or in Árpád Street. Today, most
                              of the 900 inhabitants live by the main street and produce mainly wheat,
                              corn, sunflower seeds, apples, walnuts and plums."

                              On 22 May 2012 23:05, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                              > Hmmm.. fallingrain has 1 entry:  LONYA
                              > http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/18/Lonya.html
                              > It's right on the border of the Ukraine and is in fact in Hungary.
                              > Wikipedia even has an article on it!
                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B3nya
                              >
                              > If I'm right, then we'll need to look at the chruch records for the main
                              > parish church for the area in the LDS records.
                              > Nagy and Kis are fairly common prefixes to towns meaning 'large 'and
                              > 'small', So Big Lonya and Small Lonya
                              >
                              > Peter M.
                              >

                              > On 22 May 2012 22:43, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> Hello Sandra,
                              >>
                              >> Can you confirm the spelling of the Slovak towns you mentioned?
                              >> Could it be Nagyladna?
                              >>
                              >> Peter M.
                              >>

                              >> On 22 May 2012 22:36, sandraljanu <sjhoreo@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> **
                              >>>

                              >>> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                              >>> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research on my
                              >>> Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from Kislonya and
                              >>> Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the early 1900's and
                              >>> settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I have been searching for
                              >>> that surname in many online resources (ancestry.com, LDS, etc).
                              >>> However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in origin,
                              >>> but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am stumped as to how to
                              >>> research my possible Slovakian roots. I am looking for any suggestions or a
                              >>> direction I can take. I would appreciate any assistance that you might be
                              >>> able to give me. I am new to this site and look forward to chatting with
                              >>> you. Thank you so much.

                            • William C. Wormuth
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                The Janu I found in the phone directory, was spelled Janů, (a little "o" over the u), which is Czech.  I thought it was an error because the address is in the Far eastern part of Slovakia.

                                ________________________________

> [...]

                                >>> **
                                >>>

                                >>> My name is Sandra and I live in McLean, VA. I am a 65 year old
                                >>> grandmother of 6. Over the past year I have been doing some research
                                >>> on my Hungarian roots. My grandmother and grandfather were from
                                >>> Kislonya and Nagylonya, Hungary. Both emigrated to America in the
                                >>> early 1900's and settled in Windber, PA. My maiden name is Janu. I
                                >>> have been searching for that surname in many online resources
                                (ancestry.com, LDS, etc).
                                >>> However, I have been led to believe that Janu is not Hungarian in
                                >>> origin, but rather has its roots in eastern Slovakia. Now I am
                                >>> stumped as to how to research my possible Slovakian roots. I am
                                >>> looking for any suggestions or a direction I can take. I would
                                >>> appreciate any assistance that you might be able to give me. I am
                                >>> new to this site and look forward to chatting with you. Thank you so

                              • CurtB
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                  Vilo,
                                  There may be only one Janu in the phone book, but the 1995 Slovak census database shows the name in 21 villages and towns, in both forms of the name. Just search for Janu in the datasbase at

                                  http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/juls.html

                                  Curt B.

                                  > There is one telephone listing for Janu, (in Eastern Slovakia),  Priekopa, East of Sobrance
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • vera holman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                    Hello Curt,
                                    Have been trying to connect with relatives in Slovakia. What is the url
                                    for getting the latest census of Michalovce, Sk. Looking for names,George
                                    SABO, John KUDRA, and Anne HOSPODAR.
                                    Thank you, Vera

                                  • John
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                      >>> What is the url for getting the latest census of Michalovce, Sk. Looking for names,George SABO, John KUDRA, and Anne HOSPODAR. <<<

                                      http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?lang=en&d=priezviska
                                    • htcstech
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                        Tom,
                                        I have found that some indexing has been done by LDS on Hungarian records,
                                        meaning that they've read the records and put the names in a database that
                                        is available online. This makes searches extremely quick. Sometimes the
                                        original images are available of a particular record when you click on a
                                        resulting name, sometime not.
                                        Ancestry.com and a few other gen sites work off their own indexes that are
                                        linked to various National Archives by licence. That's what you pay for.
                                        Indexing is great and hopefully points to an available record image so you
                                        can get more information. Sometimes indexed entries are poorly transcribed,
                                        especially name spellings etc, so looking at the actual record is a must.
                                        As far as I know, no indexing has been done on Slovak records.
                                        So in Sandra (Janu) case, the village was Lutheran, names were indexed and
                                        all she has to do is to type Janu in the surname box and hit return, look
                                        for the Jaras (region, district) and presto! Instant results.
                                        Family trees are important too. Public and private gen research assembled
                                        in trees had allowed me to find a completed family tree on my wife's
                                        father's side in something like 30 minutes. That's 100 years of Australian
                                        tree all the way to Scotland to the early 1700's. An email later to confirm
                                        the links and it's done!
                                        Sometimes it's that easy.

                                        Peter M.

                                      • William C. Wormuth
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                          Curt,

                                          You are correct.

                                          The Phone Directory is NOT  a trusted result.  It is only for finding possible relatives in those towns or areas.  Not everyone has a phone and I am not sure why, some who do are not listed.
                                          Anyone using the Zoznam Telefonnymust remember to try the female version of the name.

                                          Z Bohom,

                                          Vilo

                                          ________________________________
                                          There may be only one Janu in the phone book, but the 1995 Slovak census database shows the name in 21 villages and towns, in both forms of the name. Just search for Janu in the datasbase at

                                          http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/juls.html

                                          Curt B.

                                          > There is one telephone listing for Janu, (in Eastern Slovakia),  Priekopa, East of Sobrance
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • Tom Potsko
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                            Peter,

                                            I've had much better luck with ancestors in Slovakia, starting with LDS
                                            microfilms, then the browsing of online familysearch.org records, but I've
                                            yet to find a single Irish ancestor beyond my great great grandparents, and
                                            no Irish baptismal or marital records on them. You have been very fortunate
                                            in your choice of ancestors. Thanks a lot, Tom

                                          • htcstech
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 22, 2012
                                              Tom? You made me laugh!
                                              "You have been very fortunate
                                              in your choice of ancestors"

                                              I suppose that's why I've been poor and struggling most of my life. I wish
                                              I had some old Esterhazy money stashed away somewhere, and the closest any
                                              of my peasant ancestors got to nobility was a female who married a local
                                              noble around 1800. I don't think there's anything left in the trust fund
                                              though :)

                                              Peter The Peasant

                                            • Tom Potsko
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 23, 2012
                                                Peter,

                                                Even the poor find things in life that bring them joy, be it a good life
                                                mate, loving children, grandchildren, constant work and enough food and
                                                shelter to live comfortably, genealogical success, music, a strong drink
                                                when required, and the ability to break message group rules - sorry Bill.
                                                I've had desk jobs(IT) for over 35 years and now I'm a part time janitor.
                                                Couldn't get back into my field. Tom