Re: [S-R] Re: Hvosztaly-Petro Family Search Double Check

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 20, 2011
      Peter,
      I don't know if it relevant to this case. In the past there was a
      discussion where a family line died of because there were no sons. Since the
      family owned land they had a son-in-law take on the family name to continue
      it. It seems the Slovaks were creative in the use of surnames

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 20, 2011
        An excellent point! Probably the case or something very similar. I also
        found one of my ancestors, a widow, looking after at least 3 children whose
        parents died in the village. The children were very young and died within a
        few years, never getting old enough to marry. They were entered in the death
        record by their father's last name. However in this case, the priest made it
        obvious that they were fostered.

        Just for the record, 1848 was the year the revolution started. Pigza could
        have died as a result?

        Peter

        BTW: The longer I do this, the prouder I become of my Slovak heritage and
        the Slovak people in general. I can see now why my father was so calm and
        hardly ever angry.
        Our Rus cousins, as well as the Magyars and Germans, had a terrible time in
        Vojvodina, Serbia. The Slovak-Magyar mix in the north was much more peaceful
        and civilized than what happened in the south with the Serbian communists.

      • lisan533
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
          Just to double check, in this particular record is the father's name above or below the mother's? He was known as Antonius Pigza in subsequent records, but his children went by Petro(Pigza), that's why I asked about the position of the father's name, I assumed that Antonius' father was Gregorius Petrov, in which case the change would kind of make sense.
          Thanks!
          Lisa

        • lacoros@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
            When was a child illegitimate? My idea was clear - when a child was born less then 7-8 months after marriage or more then 9-10 months after death of the father.

            My great surprise was finding a legitimate child 2 months before the wedding. After this a legitimate child born two months after wedding was not so surprising. Both children born about 1840. Also after seeing entries where after 10-20 years was a child re-legitimized and a father was added, i assume that in some time illegitimate child would mean "father unknown" or "father didn't give his consent to be written as the father".

            Whats you opinion about this?

            Ladislav
            Where found, every entry I've seen, illegitimate is clearly recorded.
            Obviously not in this case, and I can't think of a reason, certainly in
            1848, where a priest would not indicate it if it was so.
            For example, illegitimate is even recorded if the father died before the
            birth! The widow giving birth to an 'illegitimate' child out of wedlock!

            So Antonius carried his mother's name as well as his father's Badnar? Was he
            called Antonius Badnar (Pigza) or Antonius Pigza?

            Even if Gregorius Badnar died soon after, Antonius should still be called
            Badnar. However it is conceivable that Pigza was an important family, and
            she was the last of them and so Antonius carried on with the name.

            What a delicious problem!

            Well, if it was my family tree, I would:

            1. Find if Antonius had a brother/sister - Skip 10 months and look from then
            on.
            2. Trace the mother PIGZA to her birth if her parents were in the same book
            - maybe look to see if PIGZA was a noble name.
            3. Check for Gregorius Badnar's death record - look from the years between
            1848 and Antonius's marriage. If Gregorius died before Antonius was married
            AND Theresia did not remarry, OR* there were no male Pigza to carry the line
            *, then you can assume that Antonius carried the Pigza name!
            It could be the beginnings of a double barrelled surname. Pigza could have
            been a local hero or some other notable person. Whoever Pigza was, he was
            important.

            Please keep me informed.

            I've gone batty working out a weird doppelganger, one who had twins, the
            other seemingly had 2 wives both naming their respective children the same
            name within a week of each other. That means 4 children from 3 wives from 2
            fathers both named Martinus, all born within 7 days.

            I reckon you've got it easy!

            Peter

            On 21 September 2011 01:30, lisan533 <horsegirrl@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > > It could be either an Alias or more likely her maiden name by another
            > > father. I.E. a step-father who died and the mother remarried.
            > >
            > > Peter
            > >

            > Illegitmate perhaps? This is her father's baptismal entry:
            >
            > Antonius,left side of page, 19 June.
            >

            > https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11666-72108-92?cc=1554443&wc=10600137

          • Frank R Plichta
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
              Ladislav,

              I would look at the marital status of the parents at the time the child was
              born rather than when the child was conceived. If the couple was 1)married
              and then 2) the child was born, it doesn't matter when the father died, even
              if the father died before the child was born.

              Either the child was legitimate or not. The only criteria that I see is
              that the couple was married before the birth.

              Enjoy,

              Frank

              _____

              <mailto:horsegirrl%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

              > **
              >

              > > It could be either an Alias or more likely her maiden name by another
              > > father. I.E. a step-father who died and the mother remarried.
              > >
              > > Peter
              > >

              > Illegitmate perhaps? This is her father's baptismal entry:
              >
              > Antonius,left side of page, 19 June.
              >

              > https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11666-72108-92?cc=1554443
              <https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11666-72108-92?cc=1554443&
              wc=10600137> &wc=10600137

              <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

            • Elaine
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                Frank,

                This is not about illegitimate children, but I have always enjoyed your tag line "looking for Plichtas all over the world" (I paraphrase). I was in Kostolany nad Hornádom recently and saw an old record that contained a Plichta. Have you found some relatives there?

                Elaine

                Sent from my iPhone

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                  Lisa!
                  You are right! It is Petrov and not Badnar.
                  I'm used to record entries where the name of the child is on the same line
                  as the name of the father, with the mother below. Just so happens that in
                  this case, the child was on the same line as the mother, with the father
                  above. I should have picked it up though.
                  Nice catch!

                  Peter

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                    Re: Illegitimate child out of wedlock.

                    I have an example in my line where a marriage has taken place and the father
                    died a month before the birth of his daughter. The priest marked her as
                    illegitimate. She became legitimised when the mother remarried.

                    I have picked up an error - a duplicate entry a few days apart, so I presume
                    that the records I'm looking at aren't 100% reliable :(

                    Peter