RE: Locating village of Szedlak Elizabeth

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
      A recent thread about a village location is prompting my own information request.

      I would like to know where the village of Niscoka (Hungarian name) is in present day Slovakia. My great-great-grandmother, Elizabeth Szedlak, listed it as her birthplace in church records of present day Pecovska Nova Ves (Pechujfalu-Hungarian) for her marriage.

      I have not been able to locate it online as easily as I did Pecovska Nova Ves. I believe it is in the same district and region as Pecovska Nova Ves, region- Presov, district- Sabinov.

      In addition, does anyone know of a volunteer local historian in Pecovska Nova Ves? My family is interested in learning the fates of family members who were still living in the village in early 1900s, including our great-great-grandmother, Elizabeth, and her husbland, Andras (Andrew) Hrabscak (Halaz- Hungarian name change in 1898).
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
        >>> I would like to know where the village of Niscoka (Hungarian name) is in present day Slovakia. My great-great-grandmother, Elizabeth Szedlak, listed it as her birthplace in church records of present day Pecovska Nova Ves (Pechujfalu-Hungarian) for her marriage.<<<

        Vysoká (aka. Vysoká nad Uhom), Sabinov, Slovakia; also formerly Viszoka, Sáros, Hungary; and now Vysoka, Slovakia. On the 1910 Saros Megye map it is shown as Magas.

        Cisarik indicates that Szedlak surname exists there.
      • stevemartonak
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
          Whole bunch of SZEDLAKs were in Lipany, up the road from Sabinov.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
            Thanks John for giving me the village location and THE correct spelling for it - Viscoka, now present day Vysoka. I had mistaken the V for an N. According to Wikipedia, today's village population is only more than 100.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
              >>> My family is interested in learning the fates of family members who were still living in the village in early 1900s, including our great-great-grandmother, Elizabeth, and her husbland, Andras (Andrew) Hrabscak (Halaz- Hungarian name change in 1898). <<<

              In the 1995 Census:
              HRABC'ÁK
              PEČOVSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 10×;

              HRABC'ÁKOVÁ
              PEČOVSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 13×;

              In current phone listings:
              Hrabc'ák Stanislav, Južná 3/504, Pečovská Nová Ves

              others in Sabinov.
            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
                Pat,
                Vysoka has gone by different names over its history:
                2716 Vysoká SB/PV šariš.
                1773 Viszoka, Wisoke, 1786 Wiszoka, 1808 Viszoka, Wysoká, 1863–1902 Viszoka, 1907–1913 Magas, 1920 Vysoké, 1927– Vysoká

                Here is an information page on Vysoka - http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/vysoka-sabinov/vysoka.html
                Vysoka has a website - http://www.obecvysoka.com/ On the right is the word “Fotogaleria”, click on it and enjoy.