Re: [S-R] Re: Hvosztaly-Petro Family Search Double Check

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 5, 2011
      A very interesting entry!

      It reads:
      Groom: Hvosztaly Istvan (Notlen meaning Unmarried) Family lives in House or
      Lot 57
      Father of the Groom: Hvosztaly Domonkos
      Mother of Groom: Burda Anna (Burda being her family name)
      Bride: (Pigza) Petro Anna (Hajadon meaning 'Maid' meaning virgin meaning
      unmarried with no illegitimate children beforehand). Family lives in House
      or Lot 164
      Father of Bride: Petro (Pigza) Antal
      Mother of Bride: Matisz Maria

      "Kozr" should be the employment of the groom (and bride), but I've got no
      idea what it means. Maybe mining?

      Now compare the entry just above of the 11th.
      A Burda Anna was the mother of another child with a different surname.
      Either Burda Anna remarried, or there were 2 Burda Anna's (Possible if there
      were a few lines in the family- That would make both Burda Annas' cousins or
      an aunt).

      The (Pigza)-Petro surname is also interesting.
      I would most certainly look from 9 months ahead in the baptism records (if
      available) and see if they (Groom and Bride) have children. You should be
      able to check her surname.

      Find any other Pigza surnames in the past or future for confirmation.

      Check marriage records for the marriage of Burda Anna.

      Check the death records of Szolomes Martin and Hvosztaly Domonkos. Trace
      both families. You may have half brothers/sisters in this line.

      Peter

      On 5 September 2011 03:22, Judy <hogelj@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > The genealogy software program that I use (Legacy) has an automatic source
      > citation generator in which you answer questions about the source you are
      > using and the program generates the citation for you. I just use what my
      > program generates because that is the easiest way for me to do it. Example
      > of my citation:
      >
      > (Edel�ny, Borsod, Hungary), Marriage Register for the year 1870, section
      > 257/3, page 23, marriage of Mihaly _____ and Maria _____ (1870), FHL
      > microfilm 623,338. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
      >
      > Here are some other possibilities:
      >
      > Elizabeth Shown Mills in her book Evidence Explained, Citing History
      > Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace, page 365, gives this example of a
      > citation for a FHL microfilm:
      >
      > Tomter Anex, (Romedal Parish, Hedmark Country, Norway), Ministerial
      > records, 1861-1869. FHL Microfilm 124,386, item 4. Family History Library.
      > Salt Lake City, Utah.
      >
      > Pro genealogists on-line doesn't show a FHL microfilm citation for foreign
      > church records that I can see, but they do show this citation for a FHL
      > microfilm:
      >
      > State of Maine, Division of Vital Statistics Index to Vital Records,
      > 1908-1922, Morrowski - Mullen (Salt Lake City: Microfilmed by the
      > Genealogical Society of Utah, 1954), Family History Library Microfilm
      > 010163.
      >
      > Judy
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lisan533" <horsegirrl@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you so much for all of your help and expertise. Any idea how to
      > cite this record?

    • lisan533
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 12, 2011
        "The (Pigza)-Petro surname is also interesting."

        Any idea why there is this variation in surname? She was listed in this way for every listing I could find for her. There continued to be Pigza surnames throughout.

        Lisa
      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 12, 2011
          Hello Lisa,

          It could be either an Alias or more likely her maiden name by another
          father. I.E. a step-father who died and the mother remarried.

          Peter

          On 13 September 2011 08:39, lisan533 <horsegirrl@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > "The (Pigza)-Petro surname is also interesting."
          >
          > Any idea why there is this variation in surname? She was listed in this way
          > for every listing I could find for her. There continued to be Pigza surnames
          > throughout.
          >
          > Lisa

        • lisan533
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 19, 2011
            Thank you!

            Lisa

            > Hello Lisa,
            >
            > It could be either an Alias or more likely her maiden name by another
            > father. I.E. a step-father who died and the mother remarried.
            >
            > Peter
            >
            > On 13 September 2011 08:39, lisan533 <horsegirrl@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > "The (Pigza)-Petro surname is also interesting."
            > >
            > > Any idea why there is this variation in surname? She was listed in this way
            > > for every listing I could find for her. There continued to be Pigza surnames
            > > throughout.
            > >
            > > Lisa

          • lisan533
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 20, 2011
              > It could be either an Alias or more likely her maiden name by another
              > father. I.E. a step-father who died and the mother remarried.
              >
              > Peter

              Illegitmate perhaps? This is her father's baptismal entry:

              Antonius,left side of page, 19 June.

              https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11666-72108-92?cc=1554443&wc=10600137
            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 20, 2011
                Where found, every entry I've seen, illegitimate is clearly recorded.
                Obviously not in this case, and I can't think of a reason, certainly in
                1848, where a priest would not indicate it if it was so.
                For example, illegitimate is even recorded if the father died before the
                birth! The widow giving birth to an 'illegitimate' child out of wedlock!

                So Antonius carried his mother's name as well as his father's Badnar? Was he
                called Antonius Badnar (Pigza) or Antonius Pigza?

                Even if Gregorius Badnar died soon after, Antonius should still be called
                Badnar. However it is conceivable that Pigza was an important family, and
                she was the last of them and so Antonius carried on with the name.

                What a delicious problem!

                Well, if it was my family tree, I would:

                1. Find if Antonius had a brother/sister - Skip 10 months and look from then
                on.
                2. Trace the mother PIGZA to her birth if her parents were in the same book
                - maybe look to see if PIGZA was a noble name.
                3. Check for Gregorius Badnar's death record - look from the years between
                1848 and Antonius's marriage. If Gregorius died before Antonius was married
                AND Theresia did not remarry, OR* there were no male Pigza to carry the line
                *, then you can assume that Antonius carried the Pigza name!
                It could be the beginnings of a double barrelled surname. Pigza could have
                been a local hero or some other notable person. Whoever Pigza was, he was
                important.

                Please keep me informed.

                I've gone batty working out a weird doppelganger, one who had twins, the
                other seemingly had 2 wives both naming their respective children the same
                name within a week of each other. That means 4 children from 3 wives from 2
                fathers both named Martinus, all born within 7 days.

                I reckon you've got it easy!

                Peter

                On 21 September 2011 01:30, lisan533 <horsegirrl@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > > It could be either an Alias or more likely her maiden name by another
                > > father. I.E. a step-father who died and the mother remarried.
                > >
                > > Peter
                > >

                > Illegitmate perhaps? This is her father's baptismal entry:
                >
                > Antonius,left side of page, 19 June.
                >

                > https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11666-72108-92?cc=1554443&wc=10600137

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 20, 2011
                  Peter,
                  I don't know if it relevant to this case. In the past there was a
                  discussion where a family line died of because there were no sons. Since the
                  family owned land they had a son-in-law take on the family name to continue
                  it. It seems the Slovaks were creative in the use of surnames

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 20, 2011
                    An excellent point! Probably the case or something very similar. I also
                    found one of my ancestors, a widow, looking after at least 3 children whose
                    parents died in the village. The children were very young and died within a
                    few years, never getting old enough to marry. They were entered in the death
                    record by their father's last name. However in this case, the priest made it
                    obvious that they were fostered.

                    Just for the record, 1848 was the year the revolution started. Pigza could
                    have died as a result?

                    Peter

                    BTW: The longer I do this, the prouder I become of my Slovak heritage and
                    the Slovak people in general. I can see now why my father was so calm and
                    hardly ever angry.
                    Our Rus cousins, as well as the Magyars and Germans, had a terrible time in
                    Vojvodina, Serbia. The Slovak-Magyar mix in the north was much more peaceful
                    and civilized than what happened in the south with the Serbian communists.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                      Just to double check, in this particular record is the father's name above or below the mother's? He was known as Antonius Pigza in subsequent records, but his children went by Petro(Pigza), that's why I asked about the position of the father's name, I assumed that Antonius' father was Gregorius Petrov, in which case the change would kind of make sense.
                      Thanks!
                      Lisa

                    • lacoros@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                        When was a child illegitimate? My idea was clear - when a child was born less then 7-8 months after marriage or more then 9-10 months after death of the father.

                        My great surprise was finding a legitimate child 2 months before the wedding. After this a legitimate child born two months after wedding was not so surprising. Both children born about 1840. Also after seeing entries where after 10-20 years was a child re-legitimized and a father was added, i assume that in some time illegitimate child would mean "father unknown" or "father didn't give his consent to be written as the father".

                        Whats you opinion about this?

                        Ladislav
                        Where found, every entry I've seen, illegitimate is clearly recorded.
                        Obviously not in this case, and I can't think of a reason, certainly in
                        1848, where a priest would not indicate it if it was so.
                        For example, illegitimate is even recorded if the father died before the
                        birth! The widow giving birth to an 'illegitimate' child out of wedlock!

                        So Antonius carried his mother's name as well as his father's Badnar? Was he
                        called Antonius Badnar (Pigza) or Antonius Pigza?

                        Even if Gregorius Badnar died soon after, Antonius should still be called
                        Badnar. However it is conceivable that Pigza was an important family, and
                        she was the last of them and so Antonius carried on with the name.

                        What a delicious problem!

                        Well, if it was my family tree, I would:

                        1. Find if Antonius had a brother/sister - Skip 10 months and look from then
                        on.
                        2. Trace the mother PIGZA to her birth if her parents were in the same book
                        - maybe look to see if PIGZA was a noble name.
                        3. Check for Gregorius Badnar's death record - look from the years between
                        1848 and Antonius's marriage. If Gregorius died before Antonius was married
                        AND Theresia did not remarry, OR* there were no male Pigza to carry the line
                        *, then you can assume that Antonius carried the Pigza name!
                        It could be the beginnings of a double barrelled surname. Pigza could have
                        been a local hero or some other notable person. Whoever Pigza was, he was
                        important.

                        Please keep me informed.

                        I've gone batty working out a weird doppelganger, one who had twins, the
                        other seemingly had 2 wives both naming their respective children the same
                        name within a week of each other. That means 4 children from 3 wives from 2
                        fathers both named Martinus, all born within 7 days.

                        I reckon you've got it easy!

                        Peter

                        On 21 September 2011 01:30, lisan533 <horsegirrl@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > > It could be either an Alias or more likely her maiden name by another
                        > > father. I.E. a step-father who died and the mother remarried.
                        > >
                        > > Peter
                        > >

                        > Illegitmate perhaps? This is her father's baptismal entry:
                        >
                        > Antonius,left side of page, 19 June.
                        >

                        > https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11666-72108-92?cc=1554443&wc=10600137

                      • Frank R Plichta
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                          Ladislav,

                          I would look at the marital status of the parents at the time the child was
                          born rather than when the child was conceived. If the couple was 1)married
                          and then 2) the child was born, it doesn't matter when the father died, even
                          if the father died before the child was born.

                          Either the child was legitimate or not. The only criteria that I see is
                          that the couple was married before the birth.

                          Enjoy,

                          Frank

                          _____

                          <mailto:horsegirrl%40hotmail.com> > wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > > It could be either an Alias or more likely her maiden name by another
                          > > father. I.E. a step-father who died and the mother remarried.
                          > >
                          > > Peter
                          > >

                          > Illegitmate perhaps? This is her father's baptismal entry:
                          >
                          > Antonius,left side of page, 19 June.
                          >

                          > https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11666-72108-92?cc=1554443
                          <https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11666-72108-92?cc=1554443&
                          wc=10600137> &wc=10600137

                          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                        • Elaine
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                            Frank,

                            This is not about illegitimate children, but I have always enjoyed your tag line "looking for Plichtas all over the world" (I paraphrase). I was in Kostolany nad Hornádom recently and saw an old record that contained a Plichta. Have you found some relatives there?

                            Elaine

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                              Lisa!
                              You are right! It is Petrov and not Badnar.
                              I'm used to record entries where the name of the child is on the same line
                              as the name of the father, with the mother below. Just so happens that in
                              this case, the child was on the same line as the mother, with the father
                              above. I should have picked it up though.
                              Nice catch!

                              Peter

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 21, 2011
                                Re: Illegitimate child out of wedlock.

                                I have an example in my line where a marriage has taken place and the father
                                died a month before the birth of his daughter. The priest marked her as
                                illegitimate. She became legitimised when the mother remarried.

                                I have picked up an error - a duplicate entry a few days apart, so I presume
                                that the records I'm looking at aren't 100% reliable :(

                                Peter