Re: [S-R] Fwd: Re: Surname Change.

  • William
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2011
      On 9/3/2011 6:01 PM, Elaine wrote:

> [...]
      > all the Johns, Georges, and Andrews back in time, I noticed that
      > George's line was designated as "inquilinus" but all the others were
      > designated as "colonus." (That certainly explains why George came to
      > America in the 1880s!) In earlier records, as you may have seen in
      > your own lines, the priest did not always record that information. My
      > question is, what would cause one branch of the family to have a lower
      > status than the rest? (I also realize the "George" line may actually
      > be a different Ferenc family entirely, but for argument's sake, let's
      > assume they are all one family.)
      >
      > I welcome thoughts/comments from you and other members of this forum!
      >
      > Elaine
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Sep 3, 2011, at 2:43 PM, William <wfbrna@...
      > <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>> wrote:
      >
      > > On 9/3/2011 1:21 PM, Elaine wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Oh hello Bill, I must have been pretty tired last night to have been
      > > > thrown off by your formal name!
      > > >
      > > > My Ferenc family is farther south and east, and it is probably a
      > > > pretty common name--although I haven't seen it that much in my
      > > > ancestral towns. I guess I was hoping that if we were related, I'd be
      > > > able to roll my r's and then pronounce B-r-r-r-na correctly!
      > > >
      > > > Elaine
      > > >
      > > > Sent from my iPhone
      > > >
      > > > On Sep 3, 2011, at 6:27 AM, William <wfbrna@...
      > <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>

      > were all

      > <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>
      > > > <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>

      > whose names
      > distinguish
      > > > aliases. I
      > grandfather was
      > Ferenc~ik
      > > > headstone
      > than his

      > Tvrdos~in. I
      > which

      > > Elaine,
      > >
      > > Rolling "r's" is no big deal. My favorite word in Slovak is
      > > "zmrtvychstanie" meaning "resurrection". There are 14 letters, the
      > > first ten of which are consonants.
      > >
      > > While I am not certain, I believe that "Ference" is of Hungarian
      > > origin. I have no idea whether there is a connection (other than
      > > linguistic) between Ferenc~ik and Ference. I know only that my
      > > ancestors, at least since 1760, used the name Ferenc~ik (spelled also
      > > Ferentsik, Ferencsik, depending on the interpretation of the person
      > > writing the name).
      > >
      > > Prior to the fifteenth century, surnames were not common among other
      > > than the nobility. Since virtually everybody else were peasants, it
      > > really didn't matter whether there were more than one Jan, Jozef,
      > Maria,
      > > etc. It was only with the decline of serfdom that it was necessary to
      > > know which Jan or Jozef or Maria had paid taxes. The early surnames
      > were
      > > primarily occupational, e. g. Jan (the) Miller, Jozef (the) Farmer, etc.

      Elaine,

      Sorry, I cannot comment on why the c~ik was added to my ancestor's
      name. I have no one to ask. My mother and her two older sisters came
      to this country but they are all deceased. The name has been spelled
      Ferenc~ik (with its variations ) in the church records from the very
      beginning, about 1760. The only living relative in Slovakia with that
      name is Maria Ferenc~ikova, who is the widow of my cousin, Eduard. She
      had a son, named after me, who died in 2004. If I get the chance to go
      back to Slovakia, I will try to get more information about the name.

      I have found, and it has been commented on this and related websites
      that, the Slovaks are not terribly concerned about their ancestors. If
      someone is deceased, they may know the name, and possibly the
      relationship, but that's the end of the road. I have found only one
      person, who is interested in genealogy and had asked me to forward what
      I had developed but so far, I have heard nothing further from her.

      They are, however, interested in American Slovaks who come back to
      Slovakia and, if the person speaks the language, there is nothing that
      they will not do for him. On one of my trips to Slovakia, I was not
      allowed to spend any money. In fact, I spent a total of $12.41 over
      three weeks.

      The one thing that has interested me, is how they know I am an
      American. It is not a matter of an accent or a pronunciation since even
      people who have not spoken to me, take me for an American. I attended a
      wedding in Oravice in October, 2008. Following the ceremony, I
      overheard two men in the crowd referring to me, wondering if that
      American understands Slovak.

      Bill Brna

    • Nicole Pohancsek
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
        Does Csek have the same meaning as Csik?  My husband's family's name is Pohancsek.  Someone once told me that POHAN mean's pagan and that csek might mean they were Czechoslovakian, but I don't know if it that is correct.  We have only found one other POHANCSEK in the entire world and he lives in Budapest.  Unfortunately he had 2 daughters and my husband is the only boy in his family and we have two daughters, so the name dies with my husband unless we can find other Pohancsek's in the world.

        Thank you in advance,
        Nicole Lodyga Pohancsek

        ________________________________

        On Sep 3, 2011, at 2:43 PM, William <wfbrna@...> wrote:

        > On 9/3/2011 1:21 PM, Elaine wrote:
        > >
        > > Oh hello Bill, I must have been pretty tired last night to have been
        > > thrown off by your formal name!
        > >
        > > My Ferenc family is farther south and east, and it is probably a
        > > pretty common name--although I haven't seen it that much in my
        > > ancestral towns. I guess I was hoping that if we were related, I'd be
        > > able to roll my r's and then pronounce B-r-r-r-na correctly!
        > >
        > > Elaine
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPhone
        > >
        > > On Sep 3, 2011, at 6:27 AM, William <wfbrna@...
        > > <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>> wrote:

        > > <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>

        > > aliases. I
        > > headstone

        > > > Elaine,
        > > >
        > > > My mother was born in Krasna Horka, which is now part of Tvrdos~in. I
        > > > have traced my mother's family back to Jozef Ferencsik, who was born
        > > > about 1760. I have been privileged to have been in the house in which
        > > > my mother was born. It is still owned by a relative, the widow of
        > > > Eduard Ferenc~ik.
        > > >
        > > > Bill Brna

        > Elaine,
        >
        > Rolling "r's" is no big deal. My favorite word in Slovak is
        > "zmrtvychstanie" meaning "resurrection". There are 14 letters, the
        > first ten of which are consonants.
        >
        > While I am not certain, I believe that "Ference" is of Hungarian
        > origin. I have no idea whether there is a connection (other than
        > linguistic) between Ferenc~ik and Ference. I know only that my
        > ancestors, at least since 1760, used the name Ferenc~ik (spelled also
        > Ferentsik, Ferencsik, depending on the interpretation of the person
        > writing the name).
        >
        > Prior to the fifteenth century, surnames were not common among other
        > than the nobility. Since virtually everybody else were peasants, it
        > really didn't matter whether there were more than one Jan, Jozef, Maria,
        > etc. It was only with the decline of serfdom that it was necessary to
        > know which Jan or Jozef or Maria had paid taxes. The early surnames were
        > primarily occupational, e. g. Jan (the) Miller, Jozef (the) Farmer, etc.
        >
        > Bill Brna

      • Paul M. Paulochik

            On Sep 3, 2011, at 2:43 PM, William <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com> wrote:

            > On 9/3/2011 1:21 PM, Elaine wrote:
            > >
            > > Oh hello Bill, I must have been pretty tired last night to have been
            > > thrown off by your formal name!
            > >
            > > My Ferenc family is farther south and east, and it is probably a
            > > pretty common name--although I haven't seen it that much in my
            > > ancestral towns. I guess I was hoping that if we were related, I'd be
            > > able to roll my r's and then pronounce B-r-r-r-na correctly!
            > >
            > > Elaine
            > >
            > > Sent from my iPhone
            > >
            > > On Sep 3, 2011, at 6:27 AM, William <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com
            > > <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>> wrote:

            > > <mailto:wfbrna%40gmail.com>

            > > aliases. I
            > > headstone

            > > > Elaine,
            > > >
            > > > My mother was born in Krasna Horka, which is now part of Tvrdos~in. I
            > > > have traced my mother's family back to Jozef Ferencsik, who was born
            > > > about 1760. I have been privileged to have been in the house in which
            > > > my mother was born. It is still owned by a relative, the widow of
            > > > Eduard Ferenc~ik.
            > > >
            > > > Bill Brna

            > Elaine,
            >
            > Rolling "r's" is no big deal. My favorite word in Slovak is
            > "zmrtvychstanie" meaning "resurrection". There are 14 letters, the
            > first ten of which are consonants.
            >
            > While I am not certain, I believe that "Ference" is of Hungarian
            > origin. I have no idea whether there is a connection (other than
            > linguistic) between Ferenc~ik and Ference. I know only that my
            > ancestors, at least since 1760, used the name Ferenc~ik (spelled also
            > Ferentsik, Ferencsik, depending on the interpretation of the person
            > writing the name).
            >
            > Prior to the fifteenth century, surnames were not common among other
            > than the nobility. Since virtually everybody else were peasants, it
            > really didn't matter whether there were more than one Jan, Jozef, Maria,
            > etc. It was only with the decline of serfdom that it was necessary to
            > know which Jan or Jozef or Maria had paid taxes. The early surnames were
            > primarily occupational, e. g. Jan (the) Miller, Jozef (the) Farmer, etc.
            >
            > Bill Brna

          • tom geiss

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
                Since some thought this surname may be the root to Pohancsek I pass this information on from the 1995 Slovak Census. As you see there are two spellings of the name, both have a dialect mark above the “c” and the first one above the “I”. Between the two name there are only 125 listings in 45 locations. Notice all but three locations are in the Orkes / District of Cadca. From this evidence I think you can presume Orkes Cadca is the “home” of this surname.
                You have two issues. These surnames may be spelled the same, but they are pronounced differently. In Slovakia that would mean that there is no genealogical link between the two. They are two separate families. Second, if you do not know your ancestral village you cannot determine if one of these surnames my be yours.
                Priezvisko POHANČENÍK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 113×, celkový počet lokalít: 37, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                ČADCA, okr. ČADCA – 14×;
                U HLUŠKA (obec ČADCA), okr. ČADCA – 13×;
                ČADEČKA (obec ČADCA), okr. ČADCA – 10×;
                DRAHOŠANKA (obec ČADCA), okr. ČADCA – 8×;
                RAKOVÁ, okr. ČADCA – 5×;
                STAŠKOV, okr. ČADCA – 4×;
                STARÁ BYSTRICA, okr. ČADCA – 4×;
                SVRČINOVEC, okr. ČADCA – 4×;
                ČIERNE, okr. ČADCA – 3×;
                ŽILINA, okr. ŽILINA – 3×;

                Priezvisko POHANČENIK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 12×, celkový počet lokalít: 8, v lokalitách:
                ZÁKOPČIE STRED (obec ZÁKOPČIE), okr. ČADCA – 2×;
                PODZÁVOZ (obec ČADCA), okr. ČADCA – 2×;
                U HLUŠKA (obec ČADCA), okr. ČADCA – 2×;
                NOVÉ MESTO (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 2×;
                STARÁ BYSTRICA, okr. ČADCA – 1×;
                SVRČINOVEC, okr. ČADCA – 1×;
                DRAHOŠANKA (obec ČADCA), okr. ČADCA – 1×;
                DÚBRAVKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;

                From the Ellis Island listings I got these:
                1850 Polomka BR/BC gemer.
                1773, 1786, 1888–1902 Polonka, 1808 Polomka, Polónka, 1863–1882 Polomka, 1907–1913 Garamszécs, 1920 Polomka, Polonka, 1927– Polomka

                2020 Rovensko SE/TA nitr.
                1773, 1808 Rovenszko, Rowensko, 1786 Rowenszko, 1863 Rovenszko, 1873–1907 Rovenszkó, 1913 Berencsróna, 1920– Rovensko

> [...]

                > first ten of which are consonants.
                >
                > While I am not certain, I believe that "Ference" is of Hungarian
                > origin. I have no idea whether there is a connection (other than
                > linguistic) between Ferenc~ik and Ference. I know only that my
                > ancestors, at least since 1760, used the name Ferenc~ik (spelled also
                > Ferentsik, Ferencsik, depending on the interpretation of the person
                > writing the name).
                >
                > Prior to the fifteenth century, surnames were not common among other
                > than the nobility. Since virtually everybody else were peasants, it
                > really didn't matter whether there were more than one Jan, Jozef, Maria,
                > etc. It was only with the decline of serfdom that it was necessary to
                > know which Jan or Jozef or Maria had paid taxes. The early surnames were
                > primarily occupational, e. g. Jan (the) Miller, Jozef (the) Farmer, etc.

              • Nicole Pohancsek
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2011
                  The gen forum link is my husband Gene:)  My husband's grandparents came to the US in 1951 from Budapest Hungary.  His grandfather's mother was from Újpest, Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kis-Kun, Hungary and his grandmother (maiden name Horvath) was from Ozora, Hungary.  His Uncle (that still lives in Budapest) spells his name POHANCSEK, but unfortunately does not know any information on the name or family history.
                  Nicole Lodyga Pohancsek