RE: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America

  • Julie Mark
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
      Frank – how did you come to have your grandfather’s federal income tax
      record? Is this something I could obtain for my ancestors as well?

      julie

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      ] On
      Behalf Of Bill Tarkulich
      Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:34 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

      I did this work a in 2003 and here is what I wrote at that time.

      "My recollection is the range of US $20 to $30, which was a "package
      deal", including European ground transportation to the port. Now go
      figure what the present value of that was. I believe at the time people
      were earning 10-20 cents an hour in the US and in Hungary, they might
      have only been earning a couple of pennies an hour."

      Recall that in many cases any earnings they had went to the landowner to pay
      back the cost of lumber to build a house.
      Mostly they collected money from family and other villagers. In some cases
      they antagonistically borrowed money from the priest.

      This is one reason often only one person took the initial trip. US wages
      were relatively enormous comparatively. They saved enough money to pay back
      their loans and paid for other family's passage.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
        To Julie,

        You've got to be careful with the dates v currency. After WW1 there was
        general hyperinflation all over West and Eastern Europe. So the figures
        circa 1920 may not be accurate for a 1914 date.

        Peter

      • Frank R Plichta
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
          Julie,

          I guess our family are just “pack rats.”

          The copies of my grandfather’s federal tax records are his personal
          duplicate copies. He saved them from 1922 thru 1952 when he was 70 years of
          age.

          My father didn’t save as many. I only have his tax records for 10 years
          from 1944 thru 1954.

          I only saved my tax records for future genealogists for the past 30 years
          from 1980 to 2010. I retired from “work for pay” in 2006.

          Looking at the old records has helped me know where they were living, who
          they worked for, how much they earned and how they used their resources.

          Enjoy,

          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

          From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

        • krisstrot@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
            Bill and all,
            I can only contribute what it cost to GO BACK to the old country.

            I have records from "Philadelphia Jewish Archives Center and Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Philadelphia, comp. Philadelphia Bank Immigrant Passage Records, 1890-1949 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.

            Original data:

            People's Bank. Prepaid steamship ticket record, 1906-1948. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

            Blitzstein Steamship Company. Ticket purchase books and index, 1899-1930. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

            Rosenbaum Steamship Company. Ticket purchase books, 1890-1934. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

            This data is provided in partnership with JewishGen.org."

            Got the initial info from Ancestry.com - reference to film numbers, then I located the films for Lipshutz/People's Bank in Philadelphia, which I ordered from the FHC. These are bank records where people saved for passage for others to come to the U.S. It lists whose passage they are saving for, their address and age, the purchaser's address, and eventually what ship and when the voyage was made, in addition to the cost.

            In my case, the folks in Philadelphia saved money to GO BACK, so I have the very rare information we crave concerning returning to the homeland. The tickets for the husband and wife were $36.50 each, the 6 year old daughter was half that, $18.25, and the infant daughter (10 mo.) was $2.50. They traveled on the Hamilton Line's Graf Waldersee from Philadelphia to Hamburg. This was in May 1912. They made an initial deposit of $20

            I just noticed others on that page who are COMING TO the U.S., as follows:
            Bremen to Philadelphia, Lloyd Line, $44.50
            London to Philadelphia, White Star, $39.00
            Philadelphia to Alexandria, Hamburg American Line, $36.40

            It seems reasonable that going back was cheaper than coming to, since there was more demand for ships to cross to the west. Offering cheaper rates for going eastbound would help fill those mostly empty ships.

            Hope this helps.

            Kris in Texas

[...]

            From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

          • mkoschik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
               @  . . . antagonistically borrowed money from the priest.

              Bill:  Could you expound on this.  The turn-of-phrase has really piqued my interest.
              Mike Koschik

[...]

              From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

              <frank.r.plichta@...>wrote:

              > > **
              > >

              > > Judy,
              > >
              > > Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.
              > >
              > > I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.
              > > Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert
              his
              > > price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920
              exchange
              > > rate which equaled $115.40.
              > >
              > > Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges
              > > Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals
              FRF
              > > 49.50.
              > >
              > > Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.
              > >
              > > This will give you a place to start looking.
              > >
              > > Frank
              > >
              > > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"
              > >
              > > _____

            • Kathy Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
                I can't speak to the actual costs of tickets, but I do remember the my Grandmother took the cheapest ticket available, which meant she slept on deck at night and covered herself with newspapers for warmth. She also had to prove that she had someone waiting for her when she arrived and had some cash. This was done in order to stop the practice of getting the young women off the boat and onto the streets.

[...]

                From what I see now, I wonder how they ever
                managed to pull together enough money to immigrate, let alone go back and
                forth
                several times as many of them did.

                I have most
                of the “facts” for my relatives, but am now trying to put it together with
                historical
                background information so that I don’t just have a list of names and dates.

                Thanks again
                for your suggestions.

                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                > From: htcstech@... <mailto:htcstech%40gmail.com>
                > Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 00:50:41 +1000
                > Subject: Re: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America
                >
                > I did find that a pre Russian revolution (1917) ruble was worth 2.66
                francs.
                > That makes the cost in francs: 82 x 2.66 = 218 for the trip.
                >
                > Peter
                >
                > On 1 September 2011 23:29, Frank R Plichta
                <frank.r.plichta@... <mailto:frank.r.plichta%40earthlink.net> >wrote:

                > > **
                > >

                > > Judy,
                > >
                > > Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.
                > >
                > > I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.
                > > Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert
                his
                > > price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920
                exchange
                > > rate which equaled $115.40.
                > >
                > > Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges
                > > Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals
                FRF
                > > 49.50.
                > >
                > > Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.
                > >
                > > This will give you a place to start looking.
                > >
                > > Frank
                > >
                > > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"
                > >
                > > _____

              • Julie Mark
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
                  Thanks Frank. Wish my ancestors had been pack rats… lucky you!

                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                  ] On
                  Behalf Of Julie Mark
                  Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 12:12 AM
                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

                  From what I see now, I wonder how they ever
> [...]

                  > > (European & U. S.) around 1914.
                  > >
                  > > How long would it have taken an immigrant to earn enough money over and
                  > > above the amount necessary to provide for the family's current living
                  > > expenses so that they could purchase a ticket?
                  > >
                  > > Would children travel free or at a reduced cost?
                  > >
                  > > Is there a SR member who could provide an explanation?
                  > >
                  > > Judy

                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                • deeellessbee
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2011
                    Frank, you are very lucky to have this paperwork. I recently told my husband that the reason I have trouble throwing away things is because everything is a record of my life, my kids' lives, etc. I guess the historian in me wants to document everything!

                    When my husband's grandfather died, my mother-in-law cleaned out the house and threw away boxes and boxes of old receipts from his business, etc. I cringed. I wish now I had grabbed at least a handful for my kids. Someday, I hope, they will be interested in their family history, and these pieces of paper would have been a snapshot of a period of time in his life.

                    This has been a most interesting thread. I do wish I had an ancestor's ticket stub from passage, or a tax return. How cool!

                    Debbie