Fw: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 7:28 PM
      From: Michael Mojher
      Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 12:35 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America

      From "Round-Trip to America: The immigrants Return to Europe, 1880-1930 by
      Mark Wyman.
      Pages 23-25
      "Sharp variations in fares became the rule. The sixteen and seventeen
      day trip from Naples to New York cost $15 for steerage in 1880, $25 in 1881,
      $24 in 1888, $28 in 1899, and $25 in 1907;" "...Norddeutscher Lloyd reported
      a steerage rate to New York of $36.50 - $38.50 from the port of Bremen,..."
      "There were other expenses, too; in 1912, however, the total cost for an
      Italian, Slav or Hungarian was only $40. Probably $30 was the average fare
      for most of the period." "The U.S. consul in Dusseldorf (Germany) pointed to
      the $25 fare from his district in 1888 and agreed that it put emigration
      'within the means of the poorest classes to emigrate.' "