RE: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
      Judy,

      Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.

      I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.
      Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert his
      price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920 exchange
      rate which equaled $115.40.

      Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges
      Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals FRF
      49.50.

      Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.

      This will give you a place to start looking.

      Frank

      "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
        I did find that a pre Russian revolution (1917) ruble was worth 2.66 francs.
        That makes the cost in francs: 82 x 2.66 = 218 for the trip.

        Peter

        On 1 September 2011 23:29, Frank R Plichta <frank.r.plichta@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Judy,
        >
        > Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.
        >
        > I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.
        > Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert his
        > price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920 exchange
        > rate which equaled $115.40.
        >
        > Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges
        > Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals FRF
        > 49.50.
        >
        > Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.
        >
        > This will give you a place to start looking.
        >
        > Frank
        >
        > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"
        >
        > _____

      • Judy Hogel
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
          To Frank,
          Peter and Jerry,

          Thank you
          for taking the time to respond to my questions.
          I continue to work on this and your information was helpful.

          For other SR
          members wondering about these kinds of things, SR member, Jerry, privately e-mailed
          me information about the Merika (http://muzej-rijeka.hr/merika/introduction.html)
          website. It contained lots of valuable
          information.

          I also
          discovered another website that has been very helpful. The Gjenvick-Gj�nvik Archives at http://www.gjenvick.com/ has copies of actual
          ship brochures and passenger tickets, including terms of the agreement. I was able to view several tickets for
          passage from England to N.Y. around the time of my interest. The tickets provided costs for rail and ship
          transport. The web site also provides a computation of the stated cost of the
          tickets at the time of purchase to a 2009 U.S. dollar amount. That is part of the information I was looking
          for. Even though these costs are
          calculated from England, it gives me a basis for comparison of what I was
          calculating for the 82 rubles from Libau.

          I am still
          working on how these costs fit into the per capita income in the immigrants� native
          countries and/or what they might have earned once they arrived in America. From what I see now, I wonder how they ever
          managed to pull together enough money to immigrate, let alone go back and forth
          several times as many of them did.

          I have most
          of the �facts� for my relatives, but am now trying to put it together with historical
          background information so that I don�t just have a list of names and dates.

          Thanks again
          for your suggestions.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
            I did this work a in 2003 and here is what I wrote at that time.

            "My recollection is the range of US $20 to $30, which was a "package
            deal", including European ground transportation to the port. Now go
            figure what the present value of that was. I believe at the time people
            were earning 10-20 cents an hour in the US and in Hungary, they might
            have only been earning a couple of pennies an hour."

            Recall that in many cases any earnings they had went to the landowner to pay
            back the cost of lumber to build a house.
            Mostly they collected money from family and other villagers. In some cases
            they antagonistically borrowed money from the priest.

            This is one reason often only one person took the initial trip. US wages
            were relatively enormous comparatively. They saved enough money to pay back
            their loans and paid for other family's passage.

            Bill

            for taking the time to respond to my questions.
            I continue to work on this and your information was helpful.

            For other SR
            members wondering about these kinds of things, SR member, Jerry, privately
            e-mailed
            me information about the Merika
            (http://muzej-rijeka.hr/merika/introduction.html)
            website. It contained lots of valuable
            information.

            I also
            discovered another website that has been very helpful. The Gjenvick-Gjønvik
[...]

            From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

            <frank.r.plichta@...>wrote:

            > > **
            > >

            > > Judy,
            > >
            > > Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.
            > >
            > > I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.
            > > Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert
            his
            > > price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920
            exchange
            > > rate which equaled $115.40.
            > >
            > > Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges
            > > Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals
            FRF
            > > 49.50.
            > >
            > > Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.
            > >
            > > This will give you a place to start looking.
            > >
            > > Frank
            > >
            > > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"
            > >
            > > _____

          • Judy Hogel
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
              Thanks Bill, Your information confirms what I have concluded from the
              searching I've been doing today. Through
              various sources I found out that around 1914 the ruble to dollar ratio was
              around 2 to 1. So the quoted price of 82
              rubles would have been about $41 in 1914 dollars (about $923 in 2010 dollars). That was higher than your amounts, but this
              ticket was from Libau, a longer voyage.

              That didn�t sound so bad until I tried to put into
              perspective with income and standard of living.
              The 1910 average wage that I found was 22 cents/hour and average yearly
              income for a U.S. worker was $200-$400. As you commented, I expected the wages
              in poor European countries would have been far less. I am also assuming that as new immigrants in
              the U.S., they made less than the average U.S. worker, even though it was much
              greater than they would have earned in their homelands. So it just amazes me
              that they somehow came up with the money to make the trip. Even if they borrowed the money, they had to
              get it from someone. Their friends and relatives were probably just as poor as they were. If the immigrant borrower wasn�t able to repay
              the debt, it would have made the family financial situation back home worse than
              ever. No wonder so many of the
              immigrants worked so hard once they found jobs here.

              Thanks again for your information,JudyTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

[...]

              From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
                Hi Judy,

                Most immigrants from this region were desperate. Starvation and
                malnutrition was widespread. We love pierogy, but when the only thing you
                have to eat is potatoes, well.... Infant mortality exceeded 20%. Families
                no longer had enough garden space to support so many people, so someone had
                to go. Heartbreaking indeed.

                Lots of back and forth until WW One (1914-18) when the doors closed. After
                WW1 immigration policy severely limited immigration, sending these folks to
                other countries such as Argentina and France. Hmm, another place to look
                for relatives in the inter-war years. After WW2, these territories were
                locked down pretty tight by Socialists. During the war, they were
                classified as enemy aliens.
                Nobody would have been able to predict.

                Regards,

                Bill

[...]

                From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

                <frank.r.plichta@...>wrote:

                > > **

                > > Judy,

                > > Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.

                > > I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.

                > > Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert

                his

                > > price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920

                exchange

                > > rate which equaled $115.40.

                > > Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges

                > > Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals

                FRF

                > > 49.50.

                > > Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.

                > > This will give you a place to start looking.

                > > Frank

                > > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

                > > _____

                > > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com]

                > > On

                > > Behalf Of Judy

                > > Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:02 PM

                > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                > > Subject: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America

                > > I came across an excerpt from V. K. Rackauskas' 1914 book Lithuanians in

                > > America in which he gave cost figures for steerage tickets from Libau to

                > > New

                > > York, Philadelphia, Boston and Quebec. He states that a Libau to New

                York

                > > ticket would have been 82 rubles at that time.

                > > I was wondering what that would have translated to in U. S. dollars

                (1914

                > > and current) and how the cost would have related to a common person's

                > > income

                > > (European & U. S.) around 1914.

                > > How long would it have taken an immigrant to earn enough money over and

                > > above the amount necessary to provide for the family's current living

                > > expenses so that they could purchase a ticket?

                > > Would children travel free or at a reduced cost?

                > > Is there a SR member who could provide an explanation?

                > > Judy

              • Frank R Plichta
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
                  Seems we have various opinions about the costs of coming to America.

                  I have in my possession my Grandfather’s “Contrat de Transport par Mer”
                  (French for “Contract for Sea Transport”) dated 16 July 1920 aboard the ship
                  Leopoldina, sailing from La Harve, France and arriving at the port of New
                  York on July 26, 1920. Passage is for one man (he was 38 years of age at
                  that time) at a rate of 830 French Francs plus a Head-Tax of 110 French
                  Francs for a total of 944 French Francs.

                  The contract is dated July 8, 1920 and was issued by the Agent “Cie Gle
                  Transatlantique” in Prague, Czechoslovakia.

                  Historical exchange rates for July 1920 were 6.050 USDollars = 49.5 French
                  Francs, or a rate of 8.1818 French Francs per US Dollar. (Source: Oslo
                  Stock Exchange. Published monthly beginning in January 1914 for all
                  currencies quoted regularly on the Oslo Stock Exchange. Historical data is
                  available online.)

                  944 FF divided by 8.1818 US Dollars equals US$115.39.

                  I also have my grandfather’s Federal Income Tax records beginning in 1922
                  (earliest date available) at which time he worked as a “laborer” in a
                  Laundry in Pittsburgh, PA. His annual income was $1,140.92 and his Federal
                  income tax in 1922 was $5.64. Two years later in 1924 his annual pay was
                  $1,976.32 plus $56.00 earned as interest on bank deposits (he must have been
                  a saver). His total federal income tax paid in 1924 was $14.87.

[...]

                  From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

                  <frank.r.plichta@... <mailto:frank.r.plichta%40earthlink.net>

                  ]
                  > > On
                  > > Behalf Of Judy
                  > > Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:02 PM
                  > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                  > > Subject: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America
                  > >

                  > > I came across an excerpt from V. K. Rackauskas' 1914 book Lithuanians in
                  > > America in which he gave cost figures for steerage tickets from Libau to
                  > > New
                  > > York, Philadelphia, Boston and Quebec. He states that a Libau to New
                  York
                  > > ticket would have been 82 rubles at that time.
                  > >
                  > > I was wondering what that would have translated to in U. S. dollars
                  (1914
                  > > and current) and how the cost would have related to a common person's
                  > > income
                  > > (European & U. S.) around 1914.
                  > >
                  > > How long would it have taken an immigrant to earn enough money over and
                  > > above the amount necessary to provide for the family's current living
                  > > expenses so that they could purchase a ticket?
                  > >
                  > > Would children travel free or at a reduced cost?
                  > >
                  > > Is there a SR member who could provide an explanation?
                  > >
                  > > Judy

                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                • Julie Mark
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Frank – how did you come to have your grandfather’s federal income tax
                    record? Is this something I could obtain for my ancestors as well?

                    julie

[...]

                    From what I see now, I wonder how they ever
> [...]

                    > > I was wondering what that would have translated to in U. S. dollars
                    (1914
                    > > and current) and how the cost would have related to a common person's
                    > > income
                    > > (European & U. S.) around 1914.
                    > >
                    > > How long would it have taken an immigrant to earn enough money over and
                    > > above the amount necessary to provide for the family's current living
                    > > expenses so that they could purchase a ticket?
                    > >
                    > > Would children travel free or at a reduced cost?
                    > >
                    > > Is there a SR member who could provide an explanation?
                    > >
                    > > Judy

                    <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                    <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                    <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                    <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
                      To Julie,

                      You've got to be careful with the dates v currency. After WW1 there was
                      general hyperinflation all over West and Eastern Europe. So the figures
                      circa 1920 may not be accurate for a 1914 date.

                      Peter

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
                        Julie,

                        I guess our family are just “pack rats.”

                        The copies of my grandfather’s federal tax records are his personal
                        duplicate copies. He saved them from 1922 thru 1952 when he was 70 years of
                        age.

                        My father didn’t save as many. I only have his tax records for 10 years
                        from 1944 thru 1954.

                        I only saved my tax records for future genealogists for the past 30 years
                        from 1980 to 2010. I retired from “work for pay” in 2006.

                        Looking at the old records has helped me know where they were living, who
                        they worked for, how much they earned and how they used their resources.

                        Enjoy,

                        From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

                        From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

                      • krisstrot@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
                          Bill and all,
                          I can only contribute what it cost to GO BACK to the old country.

                          I have records from "Philadelphia Jewish Archives Center and Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Philadelphia, comp. Philadelphia Bank Immigrant Passage Records, 1890-1949 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.

                          Original data:

                          People's Bank. Prepaid steamship ticket record, 1906-1948. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

                          Blitzstein Steamship Company. Ticket purchase books and index, 1899-1930. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

                          Rosenbaum Steamship Company. Ticket purchase books, 1890-1934. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

                          This data is provided in partnership with JewishGen.org."

                          Got the initial info from Ancestry.com - reference to film numbers, then I located the films for Lipshutz/People's Bank in Philadelphia, which I ordered from the FHC. These are bank records where people saved for passage for others to come to the U.S. It lists whose passage they are saving for, their address and age, the purchaser's address, and eventually what ship and when the voyage was made, in addition to the cost.

                          In my case, the folks in Philadelphia saved money to GO BACK, so I have the very rare information we crave concerning returning to the homeland. The tickets for the husband and wife were $36.50 each, the 6 year old daughter was half that, $18.25, and the infant daughter (10 mo.) was $2.50. They traveled on the Hamilton Line's Graf Waldersee from Philadelphia to Hamburg. This was in May 1912. They made an initial deposit of $20

                          I just noticed others on that page who are COMING TO the U.S., as follows:
                          Bremen to Philadelphia, Lloyd Line, $44.50
                          London to Philadelphia, White Star, $39.00
                          Philadelphia to Alexandria, Hamburg American Line, $36.40

                          It seems reasonable that going back was cheaper than coming to, since there was more demand for ships to cross to the west. Offering cheaper rates for going eastbound would help fill those mostly empty ships.

                          Hope this helps.

                          Kris in Texas

[...]

                          From what I see now, I wonder how they ever

                        • mkoschik@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
                             @  . . . antagonistically borrowed money from the priest.

                            Bill:  Could you expound on this.  The turn-of-phrase has really piqued my interest.
                            Mike Koschik

[...]

                            From what I see now, I wonder how they ever
                            managed to pull together enough money to immigrate, let alone go back and
                            forth
                            several times as many of them did.

                            I have most
                            of the “facts” for my relatives, but am now trying to put it together with
                            historical
                            background information so that I don’t just have a list of names and dates.

                            Thanks again
                            for your suggestions.

                            > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: htcstech@...
                            > Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 00:50:41 +1000
                            > Subject: Re: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America
                            >
                            > I did find that a pre Russian revolution (1917) ruble was worth 2.66
                            francs.
                            > That makes the cost in francs: 82 x 2.66 = 218 for the trip.
                            >
                            > Peter
                            >
                            > On 1 September 2011 23:29, Frank R Plichta
                            <frank.r.plichta@...>wrote:

                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > Judy,
                            > >
                            > > Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.
                            > >
                            > > I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.
                            > > Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert
                            his
                            > > price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920
                            exchange
                            > > rate which equaled $115.40.
                            > >
                            > > Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges
                            > > Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals
                            FRF
                            > > 49.50.
                            > >
                            > > Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.
                            > >
                            > > This will give you a place to start looking.
                            > >
                            > > Frank
                            > >
                            > > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"
                            > >
                            > > _____

                          • Kathy Smith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
                              I can't speak to the actual costs of tickets, but I do remember the my Grandmother took the cheapest ticket available, which meant she slept on deck at night and covered herself with newspapers for warmth. She also had to prove that she had someone waiting for her when she arrived and had some cash. This was done in order to stop the practice of getting the young women off the boat and onto the streets.

[...]

                              From what I see now, I wonder how they ever
                              managed to pull together enough money to immigrate, let alone go back and
                              forth
                              several times as many of them did.

                              I have most
                              of the “facts” for my relatives, but am now trying to put it together with
                              historical
                              background information so that I don’t just have a list of names and dates.

                              Thanks again
                              for your suggestions.

                              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > From: htcstech@... <mailto:htcstech%40gmail.com>
                              > Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 00:50:41 +1000
                              > Subject: Re: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America
                              >
                              > I did find that a pre Russian revolution (1917) ruble was worth 2.66
                              francs.
                              > That makes the cost in francs: 82 x 2.66 = 218 for the trip.
                              >
                              > Peter
                              >
                              > On 1 September 2011 23:29, Frank R Plichta
                              <frank.r.plichta@... <mailto:frank.r.plichta%40earthlink.net> >wrote:

                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Judy,
                              > >
                              > > Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.
                              > >
                              > > I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.
                              > > Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert
                              his
                              > > price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920
                              exchange
                              > > rate which equaled $115.40.
                              > >
                              > > Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges
                              > > Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals
                              FRF
                              > > 49.50.
                              > >
                              > > Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.
                              > >
                              > > This will give you a place to start looking.
                              > >
                              > > Frank
                              > >
                              > > "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"
                              > >
                              > > _____

                            • Julie Mark
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 2, 2011
                                Thanks Frank. Wish my ancestors had been pack rats… lucky you!

                                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                                ] On
                                Behalf Of Julie Mark
                                Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 12:12 AM
                                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

                                From what I see now, I wonder how they ever
> [...]

                                > > (European & U. S.) around 1914.
                                > >
                                > > How long would it have taken an immigrant to earn enough money over and
                                > > above the amount necessary to provide for the family's current living
                                > > expenses so that they could purchase a ticket?
                                > >
                                > > Would children travel free or at a reduced cost?
                                > >
                                > > Is there a SR member who could provide an explanation?
                                > >
                                > > Judy

                                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>
                                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                              • deeellessbee
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 3, 2011
                                  Frank, you are very lucky to have this paperwork. I recently told my husband that the reason I have trouble throwing away things is because everything is a record of my life, my kids' lives, etc. I guess the historian in me wants to document everything!

                                  When my husband's grandfather died, my mother-in-law cleaned out the house and threw away boxes and boxes of old receipts from his business, etc. I cringed. I wish now I had grabbed at least a handful for my kids. Someday, I hope, they will be interested in their family history, and these pieces of paper would have been a snapshot of a period of time in his life.

                                  This has been a most interesting thread. I do wish I had an ancestor's ticket stub from passage, or a tax return. How cool!

                                  Debbie