Where is Chealorak?

  • fly41away
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2011
      I have not been able to find the location of this town nor the modern day name for it. It is listed on the 1910 census as being in Slovakia when my grandfather, John Michael Koritko, was born in 1881 but on his naturalization record of 1894 his birth location is listed as Hungary. I cannot find it listed in any of the Slavic countries. If anyone if familiar with it,I would like to make the necessary correction on my geneology records. Thank You.
    • Peg's Gmail
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2011
        A quick check of my resources doesn't find anything obviously similar. My best suggestion is to post the image you have taken the spelling from. Perhaps there is a slight spelling differentiation that you can't see? That happened with me once when I was translating a Z to be an F. Don't ask me, but it sure looked like one :) However, someone quite familiar with the writing saw it quickly and set me on a better path.

        Peg

        On Aug 18, 2011, at 12:40 PM, fly41away wrote:

        > I have not been able to find the location of this town nor the modern day name for it. It is listed on the 1910 census as being in Slovakia when my grandfather, John Michael Koritko, was born in 1881 but on his naturalization record of 1894 his birth location is listed as Hungary. I cannot find it listed in any of the Slavic countries. If anyone if familiar with it,I would like to make the necessary correction on my geneology records. Thank You.

      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2011
          Chealorak does not compute.

          Was there a wife? From what village? Married in Hungary or ______ ?
        • Helen Ruatti
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 20, 2011
            I have a Zsuzsanna Koritkova born 17 Jul 1878 in Kravany (Kereplye),
            Zemplin, Austria Hungary. Her father was Andras Koritko born about 1855 and
            Mother was Erzsebet Beres. Any connection?

            Helen Gagyo Ruatti

            On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM, fly41away <fly41away@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I have not been able to find the location of this town nor the modern day
            > name for it. It is listed on the 1910 census as being in Slovakia when my
            > grandfather, John Michael Koritko, was born in 1881 but on his
            > naturalization record of 1894 his birth location is listed as Hungary. I
            > cannot find it listed in any of the Slavic countries. If anyone if familiar
            > with it,I would like to make the necessary correction on my geneology
            > records. Thank You.

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 20, 2011
              Helen,
              Here are the names Kravany has gone by.
              1109 Kravany TV/KI zemplín. 1964–1968 zlúč. s o. Stankovce do o. Podhorany.
              1773, 1786 Kereple, Krawjane, 1808 Kereplye, Krapliany, 1863–1913 Kereplye,
              1920–1948 Kraviany, 1948–1964, 1969– Kravany

              The 1995 Census had a few spellings for Beres because of dialectic marks.
              This spelling was found in towns near Kravany. There were 374 listing in 141
              locations.
              Priezvisko BEREŠ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 374×, celkový počet
              lokalít: 141, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:

              The 1995 Census says the #1 name in Kravany is Koritko, 8@.
              Priezvisko KORITKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 30×, celkový počet
              lokalít: 14, v lokalitách:
              KRAVANY, okr. TREBIŠOV – 8×;

              Kravany has 6 listings for Koritko, 3 men and 3 women in the telephone book.
              No Beres.
              Hriadky TV/KI zemplín.

              1773, 1786 Gerenda, Hratky, 1808 Gerenda, Hrátky, Hrádky, 1863–1913 Gerenda,
              1920– Hriadky
              The 1995 Census had 9 Beres and 9 Beresova in Hriadky
              Hriadky is a village of 466 not far from Kravany. The telephone book had 13
              Beres living there.

              It may well be that the impossible to find Chealorak is not needed. Both
              surnames were found in villages close to one another.

              I have a Zsuzsanna Koritkova born 17 Jul 1878 in Kravany (Kereplye),
              Zemplin, Austria Hungary. Her father was Andras Koritko born about 1855 and
              Mother was Erzsebet Beres. Any connection?

              Helen Gagyo Ruatti

              On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM, fly41away <fly41away@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I have not been able to find the location of this town nor the modern day
              > name for it. It is listed on the 1910 census as being in Slovakia when my
              > grandfather, John Michael Koritko, was born in 1881 but on his
              > naturalization record of 1894 his birth location is listed as Hungary. I
              > cannot find it listed in any of the Slavic countries. If anyone if
              > familiar
              > with it,I would like to make the necessary correction on my geneology
              > records. Thank You.

            • Helen Ruatti
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 20, 2011
                Thank you Michael for all the information.

                Helen Gagyo Ruatti