Re: Questions on mariage record

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2011
      Faith,

      1. This just means son of Jan. Slovak is an inflected language. Notice that this writer puts the father's first name in the genitive case, so that it says Pavel Bician is the child of Jan Bician. Notice in the names above where the father's name is Stefana, etc.. This too is the genitive case. Janovi is descriptive genitive form.

      2. Yes, Rodiska just means birthplace.

      3. I am not sure exactly what this abbreviation is, but it clearly means "this place" which in this case, is Myava. Otherwise he indicates if it is another village.

      4. They are witnesses and godparents. Though one should not attach too much meaning to the godparent. They were usually friends or neighbors, but did not participate in raising a child.

      Curt B.