Re: more than church records?

  • MagTon Media
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2011
      Trying to figure out families with same surnames who give their children same first names in same village is quite the challenge in genealogy which may take more patience with research and collecting of the collateral families . My answer ? STUDY BOTH FAMILIES !

      Are house numbers written in the records ?? With both ANNAs, keep track of who is living in what houses throughout baptisms and marriages and deaths , even the baptisms of their children .

      In the situation you describe , I would follow both ANNAs through life through the records . For example , in an exact " same name , same birth year " scenario, I found that the one died as an infant so in the process of elimination , I knew the living one married and was my ancestor.

      Or I have a situation where I followed both females with same names to death records and luckily , death record said exact age in years , weeks , days so I could pinpoint mine .

      In some cases , the Koma system of godparents helped me make the decision . Felix Game wrote a great article about the Koma system in helping to figure out individuals , under "Problem: Two girls; same age, same name, same village. Which one did he marry? " at http://www.felix-game.ca/html_files/prepond.html.

      However , I do not know if Slovakians had this same godparent custom if the families you are working with are Slovakian in origins .

      Sometimes the marriage record of both ANNAs' children glean something ( like a parent is a marriage witness ) .

      The 1869 census would be helpful , no doubt .

      Good Luck . Magda