[S-R] Re: what is this?

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 6, 2011
      Peg,
      One more example to help you get used to spotting your names in Cyrillic script. Image 32, line 3, 30 Jan 1855. Child Zuzanna born to Ioan Ivano.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...> wrote:

      > This is great. That way I'll be able to start learning to find the names myself. Thanks!
      > Peg
      >

      > On Aug 5, 2011, at 9:19 PM, Elaine Summerhill wrote:
      >
      > > Ivanyo in Cyrillic would look like иванÑ`. In script, the "и" looks like a capital "U". Penak looks like "пенак". The "P" looks like the symbol for "pi". I know Russian, which is why I know the Cyrillic alphabet. Wiki has a Cyrillic alphabet online here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabet, if you want to teach yourself the alphabet.
      > >
      > > I will take a look as time allows to help you out. I wasn't expecting to go through so many records for you, oops. I do not know any Hungarian.
      > >
      > > Elaine
      > >
      > > >________________________________

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6, 2011
        Peg,

        You can go to
        http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print

        and write out your family names in Cyrillic, in capitals, small letters and in written form of the letters. That way you will recognize the name in different forms.

        This was the reason form my posting #30234, "Reading Cyrillic Names". Maybe I am the only one who thinks this tool by Morse is the best thing since buttered bread.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...> wrote:

        > This is great. That way I'll be able to start learning to find the names myself. Thanks!
        > Peg
        >

        > On Aug 5, 2011, at 9:19 PM, Elaine Summerhill wrote:
        >
        > > Ivanyo in Cyrillic would look like иванÑ`. In script, the "и" looks like a capital "U". Penak looks like "пенак". The "P" looks like the symbol for "pi". I know Russian, which is why I know the Cyrillic alphabet. Wiki has a Cyrillic alphabet online here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabet, if you want to teach yourself the alphabet.
        > >
        > > I will take a look as time allows to help you out. I wasn't expecting to go through so many records for you, oops. I do not know any Hungarian.
        > >
        > > Elaine
        > >
        > > >________________________________

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6, 2011
          Ron, Peg, Elaine,

          To read the Rusyn church registers you need to know the Ukrainian and Rusyn variants of Cyrillic, for instance, the variant form of letter "i". This is called the grazhdanka script by Rusyns. Modern usage has changed it a bit, but you need it to read the old church registers. Modern Russian script doesn't get you the "I" in Ivanyo.

          You will find the script that you need with the English letter equivalent at this good University of Alberta site. Print out this PDF file.

          http://www.spiritsd.ca/ukrainian/hbe/ukr/Writing%20The%20Alphabet%202007.pdf

          You may also want to see their little interactive language show.

          http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~ukrdev/ALPHA_DEV/ALPHABET.html

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

          > Peg,
          >
          > You can go to
          > http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print
          >
          > and write out your family names in Cyrillic, in capitals, small letters and in written form of the letters. That way you will recognize the name in different forms.
          >
          > This was the reason form my posting #30234, "Reading Cyrillic Names". Maybe I am the only one who thinks this tool by Morse is the best thing since buttered bread.
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@> wrote:
          > >
          > > This is great. That way I'll be able to start learning to find the names myself. Thanks!
          > > Peg
          > >

          > > On Aug 5, 2011, at 9:19 PM, Elaine Summerhill wrote:
          > >
          > > > Ivanyo in Cyrillic would look like иван�`. In script, the "и" looks like a capital "U". Penak looks like "пенак". The "P" looks like the symbol for "pi". I know Russian, which is why I know the Cyrillic alphabet. Wiki has a Cyrillic alphabet online here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabet, if you want to teach yourself the alphabet.
          > > >
          > > > I will take a look as time allows to help you out. I wasn't expecting to go through so many records for you, oops. I do not know any Hungarian.
          > > >
          > > > Elaine

        • Elaine Summerhill
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 6, 2011
            Yeah...  I kinda figured that out earlier today.  Thanks.

            Elaine

            >________________________________
            >
            >Ron, Peg, Elaine,
            >
            >To read the Rusyn church registers you need to know the Ukrainian and Rusyn variants of Cyrillic, for instance, the variant form of letter "i".  This is called the grazhdanka script by Rusyns.  Modern usage has changed it a bit, but you need it to read the old church registers.  Modern Russian script doesn't get you the "I" in Ivanyo.
            >
            >You will find the script that you need with the English letter equivalent at this good University of Alberta site.  Print out this PDF file.
            >
            >http://www.spiritsd.ca/ukrainian/hbe/ukr/Writing%20The%20Alphabet%202007.pdf
            >
            >You may also want to see their little interactive language show.
            >
            >http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~ukrdev/ALPHA_DEV/ALPHABET.html
            >

            >Curt B.
            >
            >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Peg,
            >>
            >> You can go to
            >> http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print
            >>
            >> and write out your family names in Cyrillic, in capitals, small letters and in written form of the letters. That way you will recognize the name in different forms.
            >>
            >> This was the reason form my posting #30234, "Reading Cyrillic Names".  Maybe I am the only one who thinks this tool by Morse is the best thing since buttered bread.
            >>
            >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > This is great.  That way I'll be able to start learning to find the names myself.  Thanks!
            >> > Peg

          • Ron
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 6, 2011
              Thanks Curt,

              I am aware of two I's, what we (Roman alphabet people) see as I and the backward N. I don't know which is used when, nor by whom, not do I much need to know for my limited purposes. It is nice when working with it to distinguish between the Russian, Ukrainain and the Rusyn, as you point out.

              For me the great advantage of the web page I posted is that for me the printed Cyrillic is totally different to my eye than the written Cyrillic, and it means much more to me seeing the entire name in one piece. I tried taking individual letters and combining them, but was unhappy with the results.

              Next time I do work with Cyrillic I will take more care to differentiate Rusyn from the other languages.

              Ron

              > Ron, Peg, Elaine,
              >
              > To read the Rusyn church registers you need to know the Ukrainian and Rusyn variants of Cyrillic, for instance, the variant form of letter "i". This is called the grazhdanka script by Rusyns. Modern usage has changed it a bit, but you need it to read the old church registers. Modern Russian script doesn't get you the "I" in Ivanyo.
              >
              > You will find the script that you need with the English letter equivalent at this good University of Alberta site. Print out this PDF file.
              >
              > http://www.spiritsd.ca/ukrainian/hbe/ukr/Writing%20The%20Alphabet%202007.pdf
              >
              > You may also want to see their little interactive language show.
              >
              > http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~ukrdev/ALPHA_DEV/ALPHABET.html
              >

              > Curt B.
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Peg,
              > >
              > > You can go to
              > > http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print
              > >
              > > and write out your family names in Cyrillic, in capitals, small letters and in written form of the letters. That way you will recognize the name in different forms.
              > >
              > > This was the reason form my posting #30234, "Reading Cyrillic Names". Maybe I am the only one who thinks this tool by Morse is the best thing since buttered bread.
              > >
              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > This is great. That way I'll be able to start learning to find the names myself. Thanks!
              > > > Peg

            • Peg's Gmail
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6, 2011
                Ron, Curt, Elaine, Gina:

                OK, my head is swimming. I've only been working on my husband's Slovakian lines off and on for a little over a year now, so I thought I was doing great being able to just get them across the pond into specific villages and read a little bit of Hungarian and Latin! Boy am I glad I joined this group--so much knowledge out there!

                I sincerely appreciate all of your comments and help. It might take me a while to absorb what you have contributed to the point that I can eventually come back with any kind of intelligent questions. Two huge curve-balls were served up--first the Cyrillic script issue, which I didn't think I would need to do battle with until I got into much older records. And then the Rusyn possibility. A lot to tackle all of a sudden. So, if you don't hear from me for a while now, that would be the "why", it definitely won't be from a lack of interest.

                Oh yes, then I might disappear a little again when fall university classes begin as I will be taking a British Research class and Latin for Genealogists at the local university. I will need to focus what extra time I have on homework related to those courses and will only be able to come back to this intermittently. You see, all of my ancestors came from England, and my mother, who is 98, has passed her brick walls onto me :)

                I have much to learn over the next few years between the two geographical areas. I should have a great deal of fun.

                Again, thanks, thanks, and thanks!

                Peg